Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
My old CBX1000 turbo. - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Photos (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Member Photos (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: My old CBX1000 turbo. (/showthread.php?tid=13477)

Pages: 1 2

My old CBX1000 turbo. - Ward P - 01-10-2009

Firstly, I must apologise for the quality of the photos. This was back in the days of the "110 instamatic"

I purchased the CBX1000B in 1982, it was 6months old and had 4000km on it. It also had 'turbo' stickers on it. At the time I thought that was cool, so I left them on and it tricked lots of my gullible mates (please give me a break, I had just turned 18) I took them off when I got a ribbing off the rest of the bike community.
Note the brilliant front tyre!

then came some mods. A trick 6into1 (still looks brilliant)
and a decent set of tyres!

Eventually, even 105 horsepower wasn't fast enough, so I went down the turbo path.

The thing was meant to be around 180hps - it was never dynoed. It bent valves, snapped timing chains, destroyed clutches, and could be heard coming from miles away. It was always in the shop getting fixed, and eventally ripped the bottom end out of the bike.
It cost me way tooo much money - probably could've bought a new porche for what it cost me overall. But it really had balls for back then, and was definitely fun to ride. When I sold it the guy borrowed all my photos I had done of it - and I never saw them again. So this is all I have left of a huge waste of money. But that is what youth is all about!

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - BLACKZOOK - 01-10-2009

That is beautiful Ward,
i have been looking for good twin shock CBX for a project bike for about a year now without luck

Love the turbo conversion I used to lust after these things as a boy and devoured all the pommy mags with turbo tube frame conversions.TrophyTrophy

Great to hear that someone from the forum actually had one back in the day.Trophy

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - Heidi1 - 01-10-2009

Dude. What a ripper of a story. That is EXACTLY what being young and stupid is all about, bet you loved every minute of it.

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - Ward P - 01-10-2009

That's bike is exactly the reason my bike is still standard today.
Although . . . the yearning is still there.
Especially now that so many now have the knowhow, I would love another turbo, but will keep the copper one standard, it's a keeper.
One day though, I will get another...

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - Heidi1 - 01-10-2009

And the passion continues..........

My new love is an RGV250. You can have more than one mistress at a time can't you??

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - NEMESIS - 05-10-2009

Thats awesome!

How does that 6 cylinder sound when it was Naturally
aspirated!?
I bet great!

Do you know the whereabouts of the bike now?

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - Ward P - 08-10-2009

(05-10-2009, 02:23pm)NEMESIS Wrote: Thats awesome!

aspirated!?
I bet great!

I sold it to an army guy in Wagga about 18 years ago.
I bought another one 14 years ago in Alice springs, and rode it back to Sydney. (It was a pretty rough bike) This one sat in th garage for 12 months without being ridden so I sold it. The guy that bought it from me was a "CBX collector" in Sydney. He purchased the one I had, and told me he was off to Wagga on the weekend to pick up a turbo CBX he had just purchased. It must have been my old one. Small world, the same guy bought two of my previous bikes from 2 places on the same weekend. He did them up for a hobby, and was talking about re-painting it bright YELLOW?? (like the Valkries of that era)

- with the 6into 1 - it sounded awesome. Bit like a warm rotary, but deeper. The turbo with the straight through pipe was just bloody noisy.

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - NEMESIS - 12-10-2009

(08-10-2009, 07:58am)Ward P Wrote:
(05-10-2009, 02:23pm)NEMESIS Wrote: Thats awesome!

aspirated!?
I bet great!

I sold it to an army guy in Wagga about 18 years ago.
I bought another one 14 years ago in Alice springs, and rode it back to Sydney. (It was a pretty rough bike) This one sat in th garage for 12 months without being ridden so I sold it. The guy that bought it from me was a "CBX collector" in Sydney. He purchased the one I had, and told me he was off to Wagga on the weekend to pick up a turbo CBX he had just purchased. It must have been my old one. Small world, the same guy bought two of my previous bikes from 2 places on the same weekend. He did them up for a hobby, and was talking about re-painting it bright YELLOW?? (like the Valkries of that era)

- with the 6into 1 - it sounded awesome. Bit like a warm rotary, but deeper. The turbo with the straight through pipe was just bloody noisy.

Yeh small world!

I knew it would sound great....
I wouldnt mind riding one , 1 day....Biker

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - keno77 - 18-10-2009

Small world all right- that "CBX collector" might have been my brother. He was living in Sydney around that time and loved CBX's- he had about three or four of them and heaps of parts. Lots of beers since then so the memory is a bit blurry but I do remember him buying two in a short space of time and one of them was from out west. That one came with a "spare" motor that had a cylinder missing (as in not there!) and the story was that it had been turbo'd but lunched itself. The bloke had a bit of property and was using the bike as a flat tracker?! Must have been keen- a CBX is a lot of bike to be throwing sideways in the dirt. Don't remember actually seeing the turbo though, and Yellow? not impossible but doesn't sound like something my brother would do. Could just be coincidence, but it is a scary thought that there could be someone out there just like my brother!

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - Ward P - 02-11-2009

(18-10-2009, 10:26am)keno77 Wrote: Small world all right- that "CBX collector" might have been my brother. He was living in Sydney around that time and loved CBX's- he had about three or four of them and heaps of parts. Lots of beers since then so the memory is a bit blurry but I do remember him buying two in a short space of time and one of them was from out west. That one came with a "spare" motor that had a cylinder missing (as in not there!) and the story was that it had been turbo'd but lunched itself. The bloke had a bit of property and was using the bike as a flat tracker?! Must have been keen- a CBX is a lot of bike to be throwing sideways in the dirt. Don't remember actually seeing the turbo though, and Yellow? not impossible but doesn't sound like something my brother would do. Could just be coincidence, but it is a scary thought that there could be someone out there just like my brother!

Sick puppies are all around us!
You never know??
Off to look at another in Forster when I get a break(hopefully mid December) - this one totally stock - and if purchased, will stay that way.

My NEW CBX - Ward P - 08-12-2009

Picked her up yesterday.
Got home from Tathra Sunday, drove to Forster Sunday over night. Picked her up Monday and back home by midnight Monday.

Interesting wrapping on the pipes - I had help with the tiedowns. Idiot2

Had a "trailer incident" on the way home, saw the tiedowns flapping about a bit, but was tight when I checked so didn't bother too much. Got caught out because didn't realise that the flapping can cause rubbing, and one of tiedowns sheered where it rubbed on a blinker mount. I had checked it and it didn't really feel very sharp to the touch - but it was sharp enough.

The good news was the back tiedowns that were only there to stop the back bouncing and not too tight, held it all in place while I quickly pulled over to catch it before it all went over the side.
The bad news was that they wre around the grab rails, which are made of cast alloy snapped. So I need to source a new one.
Still - It could have been a lot worse.

Back home, she's running like a dog, so it's time to strip her down make a list, and start to tidy her up. Nerd

This one I want to bring back to showroom - then, next year shhh! maybe a katana!

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - Heidi1 - 08-12-2009

NICE WORK!! Can't wait to see the results!

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - 09Fatboy - 09-12-2009

Quote:ward p wrote: My NEW CBX
Picked her up yesterday.

Nice one Ward , i remember years ago a mate of mines brother had one ,he was a crazy bastard he'd ride it everywhere in his footy shorts and thongs. He ended up throwing that one and a few others down the road on the putty, lol

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - BUSABAZZ - 09-12-2009

Did someone just say Katana? Smitten Drool Clap Trophy

RE: My old CBX1000 turbo. - bazman - 09-12-2009

(09-12-2009, 09:57pm)BUSABAZZ Wrote: Did someone just say Katana? Smitten

ditto.....mines in about a million pieces at da mo' EekEmbarassedEek
ps:- got any spare parts for me, BUSABAZZ.....a seat would be nice?!?Confused
soz Ward Hijacked