Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Stock rear sets 'colour' - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: How to Do It Yourself, Mods & Reviews & Tool Lending Scheme (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Forum: Modifications (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Stock rear sets 'colour' (/showthread.php?tid=21758)

Pages: 1 2

Stock rear sets 'colour' - Homer - 19-05-2014

Is there anything available that will cover the stock silver look. It appears to be a clear coat over the metal?

I just want them black. Don't need any change in position, and not in a position to buy any new sets......

Has anybody done this?

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Batfink - 19-05-2014

You want an etch primer to create a bond able surface then spray what ever colour you want... I would suggest many clear coats so they survive ur boots rubbing...
Ask revhead as he sprays lots lol

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Zrex1200 - 20-05-2014

Or get them blasted & powder coated, tuff as blasters hate it.

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Axe - 20-05-2014

(19-05-2014, 08:20pm)Homer Wrote: Is there anything available that will cover the stock silver look. It appears to be a clear coat over the metal?

I just want them black. Don't need any change in position, and not in a position to buy any new sets......

Has anybody done this?

Hay homer,

you saw mine ones were chromed, very strong and great finish, you can get black chrome too or i would recommend powercoating.
its one of the toughest coatings around.
Or i know a mod that can ceramic coat it.

ash

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Thompy - 20-05-2014

Arent the front reasets rubber cushioning bushings bonded to the rearset? That'd make anything heat related iffy? I considered painting mine after my boot buckles rubbed through but got onto a vortex set. An as the others have said, blast em, etch prime, colour, and a hard clear, probably the cheapest.

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Homer - 22-05-2014

Thanks to everyone who replied. Something to think about now.

Cheers

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Batfink - 22-05-2014

Keep us informed if you do change the colour mate... Having those silver rear sets and pillion peg/ can holder brackets just look so wrong on a black framed bike......

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - ohzone - 09-07-2014

Spray on Plastidip can be touched up regularly and can be pealed off if you get sick of it ... oh it comes in colours and can be clear coated

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Batfink - 09-07-2014

Look at what I did to the rear hangers... About $24 in spray cans and no real sanding

Etch primer straight over existing paint
2 layers of black
2 layers of clear
All out of the can enamel pressure packs.....

I think I could have gone without the clear and used gloss black instead of satin but I am happy with extra coats of clear for a bit of protection to the colour. The etch primer is what gives the top coats there sticking power.... You can even use it on glass or chrome

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Homer - 10-07-2014

(09-07-2014, 09:32pm)Batfink Wrote: Look at what I did to the rear hangers... About $24 in spray cans and no real sanding

Etch primer straight over existing paint
2 layers of black
2 layers of clear
All out of the can enamel pressure packs.....

I think I could have gone without the clear and used gloss black instead of satin but I am happy with extra coats of clear for a bit of protection to the colour. The etch primer is what gives the top coats there sticking power.... You can even use it on glass or chrome

Hi mate, I saw the pics and am impressed. Any recommendations on brands, or should I just head down to Supercheap Auto?

Another question, can it be completed in a weekend? I'm on mine all week and it would be no fun without somewhere to put my feet. I will do front and back - no fancy rear sets for me.

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Batfink - 10-07-2014

If you had a shed/garage to work in then no problems getting it done over a weekend... of course the longer you can leave them before use the better as enamel takes up to 4 days to properly set....

I bought the Repco range of spray cans as there shop is next to my work. From memory you can apply a re-coat between 1-2 hours. If longer then you need to wait 4 days. So get them off, prepped (cleaned with thinners) and sprayed Friday night then reassemble as late as you can Sunday night.

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Hayabusabike - 10-07-2014

I'm so lazy, I've just ordered a set from suzuki as the red/black ltd edition has black ones as standard. Don't know how much yet.

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - mozzie26 - 10-07-2014

(10-07-2014, 08:26pm)Hayabusabike Wrote: I'm so lazy, I've just ordered a set from suzuki as the red/black ltd edition has black ones as standard. Don't know how much yet.
Keep us updated on price.Pi_thumbsupPi_freakPi_thumbsup

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Zoro - 11-07-2014

I'll be happy to glass bead blast them for you, will only cost you the postage to and from Darwin.
Up to you..

RE: Stock rear sets 'colour' - Batfink - 11-07-2014

you sure about the colour of the rear sets?? all teh pics I have seen show them as either silver or silver with black inset. I see that the rear hangers are, however, black.