Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Tappet Noise - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Technical Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Tappet Noise (/showthread.php?tid=21877)

Pages: 1 2

Tappet Noise - Shordy - 29-06-2014

Hi all,
Quick question, I've recently bought a 2010 Busa with 2800km's on the clock, and I notice that from idle to around 4000rpm that it makes a noise that to me sounds like noisy tappets or lifters. Is this a trait of these bikes or am I hearing something else.
The log book shows that it has only had the 1000km oil change, but due to the low km's, that was done back in 2011. I've bought new oil but due to a broken ankle, I haven't given it a change yet, or ridden it for that matter.
Any advice would be appreciated.
PS: I'm in the Barossa / Gawler area if anyone else lives out this way.
Cheers

RE: Tappet Noise - Dale - 29-06-2014

I would say its just the injectors mate. They are very noticeable Pi_thumbsup

RE: Tappet Noise - Batfink - 29-06-2014

Oils need replacing by both distance and time.... On modern vehicles it's normally 15K klm or 12 months. I personally would look at replacing oil no,
Also with such low Ks on the bike (about 700 per year) the motor might still need running in??? I know my new busa is getting quieter with every run I do but then I have done 1000 in a couple of months in winter lol

RE: Tappet Noise - Shordy - 29-06-2014

(29-06-2014, 08:56am)Dale Wrote: I would say its just the injectors mate. They are very noticeable Pi_thumbsup

I had thought of that. I suppose that I'm concerned that because the bike hasn't been ridden for some time, there maybe something not quite right and I certainly don't want to cause any damage.

RE: Tappet Noise - Shifu - 29-06-2014

Hi mate,

For the bike with 2.8 K it it highly unlikely that there are any mechanical isues with valves or injectors there. BTW there are no lifters or rockers in that valvetrain. The motor in not even run in yet so it will be louder than "normal". Engines do make noise in other places than just exhaust and you will hear mechanical noise from it always.
The old oil needs to be changed pronto and you do not need working ankle to do it. Considering the history of it I would also change all the other fluids - brakes, coolant and fork oil. Also check all the hoses. 4 years of storage does more damage than 8 years of riding.

Good luck.

(29-06-2014, 01:02pm)Shifu Wrote: Hi mate,

For the bike with 2.8 K it it highly unlikely that there are any mechanical isues with valves or injectors there. BTW there are no lifters or rockers in that valvetrain. The motor in not even run in yet so it will be louder than "normal". Engines do make noise in other places than just exhaust and you will hear mechanical noise from it always.
The old oil needs to be changed pronto and you do not need working ankle to do it. Considering the history of it I would also change all the other fluids - brakes, coolant and fork oil. Also check all the hoses. 4 years of storage does more damage than 8 years of riding.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise.
When I'm able, most of your suggestions will happen.
Hoey's here in Adelaide will be doing my suspension, setting sag and whatever else he suggests.
I've got an unopened 44 of Mobil Extra 4T 10W-40 Semi Synthetic Motorcycle Oil that I'll use to change the oil before I ride it next, and the coolant can wait until the 6000km service I reckon.
I've had a fair few bikes over the last 30 years but this is the first EFI.
Still not convinced it's the injectors though.

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to buy some oil cheap, let me know.
$20 for 5 litres, or $70 for 20 litres, bring your own container, located near Gawler.

RE: Tappet Noise - Dale - 29-06-2014

(29-06-2014, 01:12pm)Lucksafortune2000 Wrote: I've had a fair few bikes over the last 30 years but this is the first EFI.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there is a problem with your injectors. They just have a very noticeable "tick tick tick", especially to someone who hasn't had an EFI bike before .. Pi_thumbsup

RE: Tappet Noise - Shifu - 29-06-2014

(29-06-2014, 01:12pm)Lucksafortune2000 Wrote:
(29-06-2014, 01:02pm)Shifu Wrote: Hi mate,

Good luck.

Thanks for the advise.
When I'm able, most of your suggestions will happen.
Hoey's here in Adelaide will be doing my suspension, setting sag and whatever else he suggests.
I've got an unopened 44 of Mobil Extra 4T 10W-40 Semi Synthetic Motorcycle Oil that I'll use to change the oil before I ride it next, and the coolant can wait until the 6000km service I reckon.
I've had a fair few bikes over the last 30 years but this is the first EFI.

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants to buy some oil cheap, let me know.
$20 for 5 litres, or $70 for 20 litres, bring your own container, located near Gawler.

Peter is a good man, knows what he is doing and will not rip you off like some others. Don't know your weight, but unless you are 65 kg you will need new springs as a minimum.
The injectors can be quiet Pi_freak noisy. I would flush the tank and put some fresh fuel in it as 4 years is a bit of a stretch for fuel and you could have some corrosion in a tank as well that can find it's way there. Just check.
I would keep that Mobil oil for the car (even though it says Motorcyles in the name) and get some Motul 5100 4T 10W40 or 50. But that is just a personal thing perhaps. When you are ready, came to Lobbies. We meet there every Sunday (on rideable weather) about 10am for a dose of usual busa buls#it.

I would keep that Mobil oil for the car (even though it says Motorcyles in the name) and get some Motul 5100 4T 10W40 or 50. But that is just a personal thing perhaps. When you are ready, came to Lobbies. We meet there every Sunday (on rideable weather) about 10am for a dose of usual busa buls#it.
[/quote]

I'm surprised I haven't seen you up at Lobethal before. (Meaning a group of Hayabusa's).
I have been going up there most rideable Sunday's for the last 8 years or so.
There's usually a group of us numbering 4-10 bikes.
We normally meet up at the Gully pub at 8am, head to lobie via the mad mile and Cuddly creek. Stay for a coffee and B & E sandwich, then head back towards Mt Pleasant, Springton, Williamstown, Lyndoch and back to Adelaide via Snake gully Road.
Maybe we've left Lobie before you guys get there.
We tend to go early to avoid the funny Commodores with flashing lights, and the sight seers.

I heed your advice about the oil, but I reckon it'll be fine.

When I say no EFI bikes, I've still owned YZF600R, R1, GSX1100R, etc, so not all ancient.

Oh yeah, 100kg, but I never ride two up or carry gear.

RE: Tappet Noise - Maj - 29-06-2014

Are you aware of the clutch spring retainer recall, they back out of the clutch centre and rattle and rub the cover
its not quite like tappet noise but still worth checking out

(29-06-2014, 05:46pm)Maj Wrote: Are you aware of the clutch spring retainer recall, they back out of the clutch centre and rattle and rub the cover
its not quite like tappet noise but still worth checking out

No I'm not, but the noise I'm hearing sounds like it's coming from under the front of the tank area. (Head / induction area).
What models does the recall you mention effect.
Mines 12/2010 manufacture.

I think I know where your coming from mate...
when I bought my first busa, the 01, I was concerned over the "unusually" loud top end sounds coming form bike when I was sitting on it. As I bought it sight unseen from a dealer in NSW and had it shipped to Tassie I took it to a great guy locally. Cost me money but compression, valve clearances and a dozen other things he checked all came back good. Told me that the busa had, unlike a heap of other brands, an inline 4 running across the bike and with all the sound deadening on fairing the top of motor was directly below the front of the tank with nothing but the radiator stopping sounds... My ears were so tuned to trying to find issues that it focused on these sounds as "unusual".
I never had the problem with the 99 as it's trumpet brock single system with alien heads made the sound out the back so loud I couldn't hear anythign else (BTW.. hearing it through the tunnel in SA was friggin FANTASTIC lol)
now with my new 13 with it's sewing machine OEM cans I again here that top end "noise" which was bad at first but has settled heaps over it's first 1K riding.

RE: Tappet Noise - TempOzzy - 29-06-2014

Welcome to the forum, and to Busa ownership. I'm surprised you haven't come across a bunch of Busa riders at Loby on a Sunday morning yet? I'm not up there as often as some of the other guys, but it certainly is home to a few regulars.

I doubt that your valve train will need shims changed at such low mileage. Mine has done about 26000 kms and I've been sceptical about my clearances for quite a while now. I regularly hear what sounds like a loose bucket or similar. It always seems worse when cold, but I've started to convince myself that it 'sounds normal'. I've also had the 'loose screw' problem with my clutch, so I know what that sounds like (and it's not nice!). I accept (well I try to) that my engine is inherently noisy, and just let it be.

Maybe try to get another Gen 2 owner to have a listen when you come across one of us? It might help you to decide if it's worth getting your clearances checked.

Hope to see you around the place sometime. Cheers, Tim.

Hey temp.. I can answer your question
Quote:If it's too sexy.....You're an escapee from the monastery

RE: Tappet Noise - Camel - 30-06-2014

Check the tightness of your header clamps; if one is slightly loose you will get exhaust leakage. The noise it makes sounds remarkably like loose tappets. The sound is worse when the engine is cold.