Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Tyres Advice - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: Tyres Advice (/showthread.php?tid=22038)

Pages: 1 2

Tyres Advice - Spencer72 - 30-08-2014

I've just purchased 2012 Busa and need both front/rear tyres.

Only doing freeway riding for work and possibly only be holding onto the bike for 6 months or so therefore dont want to fork out big dollars.

Any advice on what to buy for value for money especially from the WA members.

RE: Tyres Advice - Ward P - 30-08-2014

Freeway riding - get michelin pilotroads.. good tyres, you wont get better for mileage, and not a bad tyre for some spirited fun to boot- wont really matter if it's pilotroad2, 3 or 4 - get whatever is cheapest. no more dicussion needed (like that will happen Lol3 )

RE: Tyres Advice - Batfink - 30-08-2014

+1 for Wardy.. They are my next set as soon as I got my $$$ worth outta the factory set

RE: Tyres Advice - Spencer72 - 31-08-2014

Cheers. The Suzuki guy recommended the same gave me a price on the Pilot Rd 4 Front $249 Rear $324. Pretty pricey but has to be done.

RE: Tyres Advice - Raphel - 31-08-2014

(31-08-2014, 01:21pm)Spencer72 Wrote: Cheers. The Suzuki guy recommended the same gave me a price on the Pilot Rd 4 Front $249 Rear $324. Pretty pricey but has to be done.

Don't know anything about the PR4's at all , but my buddy had a set of PR3's on his Gen 1 and had some major cupping problems on the front tyre which wore as fast as the rear. I rode it and scared the hell out of me as it tipped into the corners too fast, must be the weight bias thing with a Busa ? No excuse notwithstanding.

The PR family of tyres seems to be focused on wet weather performance, fine if it rains a lot where you are, when it rains here, I take the car.

I'm running my second set of Metzeler Z8's on my Gen2, do some research, plenty of good options out there too

RE: Tyres Advice - Aussie Steve - 31-08-2014

I'm running Pirelli Angel's front and back great grip wise...so far and wear seems to be same. Very similar price to the PR range.

RE: Tyres Advice - Kendo - 31-08-2014

Yes, the Pilot Road series fronts do seem to have a tendency to cup. It has happened to every one I've used. But NOT BEFORE they have had some serious kms on them. By then you've had your moneys worth so just change it.

Michelin acknowledged the cupping issue on previous Pilot Road fronts caused by centre tyre flex around the tread pattern and have addressed the issue with the new tread pattern on the PR4.

RE: Tyres Advice - Shifu - 01-09-2014

(31-08-2014, 06:39pm)Kendo Wrote: Yes, the Pilot Road series fronts do seem to have a tendency to cup. It has happened to every one I've used. But NOT BEFORE they have had some serious kms on them. By then you've had your moneys worth so just change it.

Michelin acknowledged the cupping issue on previous Pilot Road fronts caused by centre tyre flex around the tread pattern and have addressed the issue with the new tread pattern on the PR4.

It can also have a lot to do with a generally spongy suspension/slow rebound on a heavier bikes especially as they get older.

RE: Tyres Advice - PostmanPete - 01-09-2014

Another option is the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's. Almost as good as the Pilot roads, but $100 a set cheaper.

RE: Tyres Advice - Homer - 02-09-2014

RE: Tyres Advice - Lucky 85 - 02-09-2014

I have run the PR3's for the last 3 years and they have held ever thing I throw at them. I tried the angels and almost became one as they lost grip going into a corner hard that my old PR2's would take with ease. Comes down to personal choice really in the end.
Where are you getting your tyres from as I found a big difference in price when I shopped around in Perth.

RE: Tyres Advice - RaZ - 04-09-2014

Diablos - nuff said :) Right wardy? :p

RE: Tyres Advice - Spencer72 - 04-09-2014

Lucky 85. Only got initial quote from Suzuki Joondalup but definately open for suggestions.

RE: Tyres Advice - storm - 04-09-2014

Michelin soft front PP3, 2ct etc rear road2,road3 road4 Michelin. I ride wet roads and dry quite fast, and the pilots never ever skipped a beat. On all my Suzukis after the Bridgestones it's Michelin. Never tried anything else except a used conti rear for about 3k kms though. No Pirelli or metzeller or Dunlop.

RE: Tyres Advice - Rev004 - 05-09-2014

(04-09-2014, 06:19pm)Spencer72 Wrote: Lucky 85. Only got initial quote from Suzuki Joondalup but definately open for suggestions.

I'm normally big on keeping things local but I know a lot of guys that have dealt with these guys in the U/S and have been very happy with the service and how quick they get to the front door so possibly worth a look.

http://www.jakewilson.com/p/3791/46553/Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-Radial-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Other than that I've had some of the guys deal with Tyres for Bikes in Vic Park but has Lucky mentioned all it takes is some quick phone calls to see what sort of deal you can get.

Cheers Rev004