Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" (/showthread.php?tid=22814)

Pages: 1 2

Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - ricks_1969 - 27-06-2015

My fuel gauge on my 99 just can't be right can it ?, the needle has come all the way down to "E" and just as it hit the start of the "Red" I pulled in and topped up.

So basically the needle had just hit the red but the tank "only" took 13.91 Lt's, given I have a 22Lt tank and after using less than 14Lt's my gauge is on empty and in the red even though there would still be 8Lt's still in the tank, or say at least another 100K's of travel.

I had only travelled 171K's although I don't think the tank was filled to the brim last time so my consumption at say 8Lt's / 100K's is probably a little higher than true, I'd say I'm about 7.5Lt's / 100K's, not that any of that really matters if the gauge is reading empty at les than 14Lt's used.

Are others seeing an empty gauge at after only 14 Lt's used ?

# I don't believe my tank has ever been repaired etc so this is a true 22Lt tank

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - kev11e - 27-06-2015

G'day
I reckon fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable. I just use the trip meter as a guide...and don't go too far when the light comes on :)

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - ricks_1969 - 27-06-2015

(27-06-2015, 03:37pm)kev11e Wrote: G'day
I reckon fuel gauges are notoriously unreliable. I just use the trip meter as a guide...and don't go too far when the light comes on :)

Yes, that's what I'll end up doing once I know how far I can really go on a tank ...

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - grapyono - 27-06-2015

My gauge sucks! I too put in 14l when on empty. I have not had the guts to run the girl dry just to see the final number but that will come. I will make sure I have a few liters in my backpack to get to the nearest pit stop. Until then I obey the fuel gauge god...better safe than sorry!

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - Big Rob - 27-06-2015

I'm with you guys, probably best to watch the trip meter. Went for a 260 km ride today and was starting to think my gauge was stuffed, have only had the bike for 3 weeks so was a bit pissed off. I had done 120 km and the gauge was still on full! As I had filled up before I headed off I knew I had plenty left and decided to go by the trip meter. Anyway, another 20-30km down the road and the gauge finally woke up and dropped to around half, from there on it seemed to work fine!

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - shorty - 27-06-2015

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - crumpy - 27-06-2015

I get around 130ks before needle moves and look for garage around 340ks needle is on red at that my bkes a 99 with 76k on it

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - Big Rob - 27-06-2015

Ok, well sounds like my gauge is ok then!

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - ricks_1969 - 27-06-2015

(27-06-2015, 07:08pm)crumpy Wrote: I get around 130ks before needle moves and look for garage around 340ks needle is on red at that my bkes a 99 with 76k on it

Once I know what sort of distance I can cover with a full tank I'll just go off the trip meter, that's what I've always done anyway, It's really just a bloody distraction that gauge :(

There is absolutely no way I could cover the sort of K's mentioned here to a tank, going off the numbers of my fuel consumption I couldn't even make 300K's and that's with the full 22 Lt's.

I think to get that sort of distance you must be covering a lot of that at low speeds, I live on the very edge of town and only use the bike for fun, so say 400 metres from my house I'm on the open roads, 80K speed limit straight away and then 100K, so my average speed must be a lot higher than that of the people getting over 250K's to a tank, I'm hitting the red at around the 170K mark and with another 8 Lt's in the tank I'm guessing another 100K's until I'm stranded on the side of the road for a total of around 270K's, from Full to Stranded :(

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - Batfink - 28-06-2015

I have never used any dash board fuel gauge as a reliable meter, and currently trying to convince my boy that they are a simple representation not a true indicator.

On the busa it seems that the fuel light comes on when there's about 5-6Lt left or about 1/4 of tank. I have tested this on my 01,99 and now the 13 and they all seem very much the same. So I don't really look at guage but use it as an indicator for long trips. Then when the light comes on I know I have between 50 & 100k left in tank, depending on my riding style lol

As for economy, again all 3 buses seem similar..... Hitting 6th around the 80 mark and staying under 100 I can get over 400k to a full tank. But crankin g the wrist, staying in lower power gears and overtaking a lot mean the same tank can just get over 200k. Lol

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - Pix - 28-06-2015

From full to empty I was on 280km for,the tank, and that was about 20-21ltr at the pump, how are you guys getting so far? I wasn't even revving hard or anything? I use to fill up at 270km for safety sake...

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - crumpy - 28-06-2015

Ive got a good excuse ive been riding with harleys LOL so its 100kph most of the time and all long runs

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - ricks_1969 - 28-06-2015

(28-06-2015, 08:37am)Pix Wrote: From full to empty I was on 280km for,the tank, and that was about 20-21ltr at the pump, how are you guys getting so far? I wasn't even revving hard or anything? I use to fill up at 270km for safety sake...

Pix, I'm with you here, your stats look the same as mine, I haven't pushed mine that far in reality tho however the numbers work out to be exactly the same, I'm not holding onto gears or excessive speeding or anything like that, I may overtake and take the speed from 100 to say 180 or so once in the tank but that's just an overtake for say 2 or 3 seconds at best and then back to 100, so doing that once in a tank shouldn't alter my figures that much, basically I'm on the speed limit or maybe 5 K's over but that's it but like I said before there really wouldn't be much riding under 80K's or so, I guess the 3000 RPM mark is the difference in the economy seen here...

(28-06-2015, 08:36am)Batfink Wrote: Then when the light comes on I know I have between 50 & 100k left in tank, depending on my riding style lol

I'm not sure if I have ever pushed it far enough to see the light come on but knowing at E on the gauge there is still 8 Lt's in the tank I will hold off for the light this time, I'm used to going off the trip meter anyway on other bikes so this time I'll push it and take note of the trip meter, not that bloody gauge :)

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - Dogdda - 29-06-2015

Reasonably gentle throttle with the occasional "squirt" gets me about 300 on the odometer and I've pushed the "reserve" (fuel light on) out to 50 kms with no signs of coughing to a stop.... Gen 1 '06.

RE: Rate your Gauge, "Fuel Gauge" - ROD - 29-06-2015

50ks after the light comes on and your safe Pi_thumbsup