Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED
Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Printable Version

+- Welcome to The Australian Hayabusa Club Forum - ARCHIVE ONLY VERSION - NEW REGISTRATIONS & POSTS DISABLED (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB)
+-- Forum: Bike Discussions (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+--- Forum: Hayabusa Tyres, Wheels & Suspension (https://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/MyBB/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Avon Storm-ST Tyres (/showthread.php?tid=8091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Busdriver - 10-09-2007

Just fitted up a set of the new Avon Storm ST (sport-touring) tyres onto the Bus.

I must say I am very impressed. Trophy The HPXs, even when new never felt as good as these Storms do.

For those running Super Corsas, or Vipers (yes you Max), they may not be as good as them. But if your looking for longer mileage, the Storms are supposed to provide it.

The bus feels nice and stable in a straight line. I'm having so much fun in corners again. I have found them to be "confidence inspiring."Pi_thumbsup

According to the research I've done on rider's sites they are supposed to be very good in the wet as well.

I'll keep you all posted on the wear, but I'm expecting 10K or more from the back alone. Running 42psi front and rear (Avon recommended).

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - black13 - 10-09-2007

what price are they?

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - mechanx - 11-09-2007

What are they like busdriver ? Think'n of putting a set on for the P.I . trip ?

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Busdriver - 11-09-2007

Cost me $500 for the pair fitted.

What are they like? I have found them to be great. I have had the original BT-056s, Diablos and HPXs. None of these tyres gave me the confidence to punt it around like I have since I fitted them on Saturday. The contact patch is reported to get bigger the more the bike is leant over.

If you're used to riding on pure sports tyres you may not be impressed. But out of the tyres I have listed above I find the Storms great.

What they would be like on a trip to P.I, I'm not sure. They are a sport touring tyre supposedly so mileage should be good. Avon recomends 42 psi front & rear. On my gauge this feels a little firm. You feel every bit of the road but not harshly. Dropped them both down to 41 psi on my gauge and they feel great.

Bottom line is I feel quite comfortable hanging off the bike and giving it some through the bigger round-abouts and sweepers in town. The bike feels very stable in a straight line and also leant over. Changing lines while cornering seems goods a well.

When they were put on on Saturday it was raining. I took it easy like you always do with new tyres but they just felt good. I was giving them a rap to Max when I got to his place after fitting them.

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Tantallon - 15-09-2007

Hayabusa

Hi

Now I really wished that I had read this f*&#@! thread BEFORE buying new bloody HPX's.

Idiot2

Tantallon

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - black13 - 25-09-2007

Busdriver Wrote:Just fitted up a set of the new Avon Storm ST (sport-touring) tyres onto the Bus.

I must say I am very impressed. Trophy The HPXs, even when new never felt as good as these Storms do.

For those running Super Corsas, or Vipers (yes you Max), they may not be as good as them. But if your looking for longer mileage, the Storms are supposed to provide it.

The bus feels nice and stable in a straight line. I'm having so much fun in corners again. I have found them to be "confidence inspiring."Pi_thumbsup

According to the research I've done on rider's sites they are supposed to be very good in the wet as well.

I'll keep you all posted on the wear, but I'm expecting 10K or more from the back alone. Running 42psi front and rear (Avon recommended).

hey mr busdriver, are you happy with the new avons, you must have been out for a few rides by now, they are what i'm thinking about getting fitted on sat morn,although they aint cheap to buy, i'de like a bit more life out of my tyres ,I ride like captain sensible most of the time, just have the occasional bursts of insanityPi_freakyour thoughts appreciated

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Louwai - 25-09-2007

black13 Wrote:,I ride like captain sensible most of the time, just have the occasional bursts of insanityPi_freakyour thoughts appreciated

You sound a bit like me. I commute every day & give it some stick a bit more than occasionaly. I know the Pilot Road & Pilot Power arn't the most love tyre, but I've got great milage out of them.
I'm only on my 2nd rear since buying the Bus just on 30k ago.
18k out of the first & just over 10k so far on the 2nd & still going strong.
I've got a Metzler M3 on the front. It's also doing really well.

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - black13 - 25-09-2007

Louwai Wrote:
black13 Wrote:,I ride like captain sensible most of the time, just have the occasional bursts of insanityPi_freakyour thoughts appreciated

You sound a bit like me. I commute every day & give it some stick a bit more than occasionaly. I know the Pilot Road & Pilot Power arn't the most love tyre, but I've got great milage out of them.
I'm only on my 2nd rear since buying the Bus just on 30k ago.
18k out of the first & just over 10k so far on the 2nd & still going strong.
I've got a Metzler M3 on the front. It's also doing really well.

faaarkScary
i've done 9000kms ,this is my 3rd rear 2nd front,although most of my riding involves exploring the country side with very little commuting.have been using the bridgestone bt56.what pisses me is they wear disproportionally

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Busdriver - 25-09-2007

Still more than happy with my tyre choice.

Went out riding with Max today on the twistie roads up the 2 main hills in Canberra. (Black mountain & Mount Ainslie). Still coundn't keep up with Max but it wasn't a tyre issue. I tend not to ride very hard when I can't see where the corner goes, even when I know where it goes.

Me and Max swapped bikes. I cant even keep up when riding his so I think the tyres are more capable than I am. I have noticed I am cornering faster and harder than I have on the previous tyre brands I've run.

As for mileage, I've only had them on two weeks. Longivety or grip? It's a trade off. If I get 10 k from the rear I'll be happy. If I get more I'll be very happy. I've had long lasting tyres on other bikes but was never really happy with the grip.

Hope this helps. Maybe Max might put some feedback here after having a ride on my Bus.

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Madmax - 26-09-2007

Busdriver Wrote:Still more than happy with my tyre choice.

Hope this helps. Maybe Max might put some feedback here after having a ride on my Bus.
Hi guys,
rode the shit out of Busdrivers new tyres today, they held on well, the tread pattern is very open, will/looks like it will be great in wet, if it ever rains again! Had her on the back tyre, the front one kept turning Action-smiley-083 - joking of course! who could ever ride a mates Bus and go throwing her front wheel in the air, while he was catching up??Coolsmiley

They changed direction as easily as the Vipers I use, braked well, feel like good tyres, I'll be trying them on my next change.

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Louwai - 26-09-2007

black13 Wrote:faaarkScary
i've done 9000kms ,this is my 3rd rear 2nd front,although most of my riding involves exploring the country side with very little commuting.have been using the bridgestone bt56.what pisses me is they wear disproportionally

I've got issues with heavy fuel consumption, but it sounds like I've got heaps over most with tyre wear.
BTW, the 1st rear was already on the bike when I bought it & the 18k was from when I started. Not sure how many K's on the rear before I jumped on.

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - copperjosh - 27-09-2007

hmmm...i'm all for 180/55 now...& slightly harder compounds...

Got some Pilot Road 2's on the FZR & the tip in speed is just awesome & the thing is.......
I don't think many road riders are going to reach the cornering limits of modern tyres unless they are on a track.

If you think of how quickly tyre technology is advancing, even an average tyre on the market now should be up around the performance of the "super-sport" tyres from about 5 years ago. Thats my take anyway.

And something I read by Keith Code made alot of sense. Talking about tyres, in one of his books he suggested that instead of going out and getting the most awesome super-slick race style road tyre you can get...get something average so you can actually get used to a bit of sliding.

With some of these crazy soft compound tyres out there, you're never going to reach their limit & hence have less to learn & when a slide happens it will suprise you too much & possibly throw you off.

If you have somewhat harder longer wearing tyres & get used to a bit of spinning & sliding here and there, your attention won't be sucked up when it happens around a fast corner...etc. Its nice getting more than 5000km out of a tyre too...lol

I reckon his advice is pure gold, but anyway...i'm out.

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Madmax - 27-10-2007

copperjosh Wrote:And something I read by Keith Code made alot of sense..... he suggested that instead of going out and getting the most awesome super-slick race style road tyre you can get...get something average so you can actually get used to a bit of sliding.

If you have somewhat harder longer wearing tyres & get used to a bit of spinning & sliding here and there, your attention won't be sucked up when it happens around a fast corner...etc. Its nice getting more than 5000km out of a tyre too...lol

I reckon his advice is pure gold, but anyway...i'm out.

Hey Josh,
Take your sliding through corners and bash it in your bum mate. I hate sliding - scares the beJeezus out of me. I'll take my super sticky tyres and keep traction and leave the sliding to the track jockeys.

Just my 2 cents..

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - Busdriver - 15-05-2008

Well, here I am coming due for tyres. I will be putting the Storms on again.

I've been running the Avon Storm -ST front and rear for 12000ks so far. Will most likely get 13 to 14000 out of them.

Plenty of depth still left on the sides but my ride down through Victoria and central west NSW have worn the centre of the rear.

For me, they gave me the grip and confidence that suits me and a lot more ks than previous tyres that didn't last as long and always felt like they were going to slip.

One thing I have noticed about the front is, it does not appear to have scalloped wear like a lot of front tyres I've run have. Have been running them at the recommended 42psi front and rear.

RE: Avon Storm-ST Tyres - busacrankin - 18-01-2009

Got my Rear tyre put on on Friday.Went riding to the Gong with the wife on pillion & hope to get good milage, as you others have without sacrificing grip.The BT56 had hit the wear bars {5000k} but I`ve got a ride to Jindy coming up & couldn`t risk that distance with a fagged out tyre.