engineer certificates
i have made the choice to go down the road of turbo's
I am just wondering after reading another thread about laws and mods

i see a lot of bikes here have small mods such lighting,rear sets,lowered,raised etc
then more noticable mods such as turbos,single sided and extended swingarms, 300 and 330 tire kits etc etc

1. how legal are these mods
2. can you get engineer certifcates for them, if so where
3. will insurance companies accept insurance of these mods with /without engineer certificates

thanks in advance to those who reply
(30-07-2009, 12:28pm)surfabusa Wrote: 1. how legal are these mods - They are illegal.
2. can you get engineer certifcates for them, if so where - no
3. will insurance companies accept insurance of these mods with /without engineer certificates - no

If the vehicle is stolen and the policy is for agreed value listing all mods you will get paid by the insurer.

If the vehicle is not leagally allowed on the road as it would fail ADR's and is involved in an accident then payment is unleikely at best
I use to own a L J 2 door holden torana
came out stock standard with a 186 red motor
iput a 5.0litre 308 v8 in it, had to move steering colomn ,fit biger front disc brakes and get a engineer certificate

back in the late 80,s nsw no problems things must have changed

by the way i think this should not haved passed engineer certificate, as it was very fast in as straight line..had to put lead in boot for traction but as soon as i tried to corner at any speed the thing kept going straight both with lead in and out of boot

sold it after about 6 mths next owner wrote it off 2 weeks after buying it

is it that transport department wont accept engineer cert or is it engineers wont certify
Several turbo Busa's in Qld.
Any's with mod plates / engineer cert's / complianced.
Any 100% legal ?

I'd love a Turbo B-King but keep getting told that it can't be done legaly.
Contact your local authorities if concerned about the legalities of any modifications, also contact your insurer as well.

Most of us already know what the answer will be.
Yeah, an aftermarket turbo isn't legal anymore (since emission control come in). Main issues are noise, brakes and emissions. You could get it to pass noise and brakes with some playing around, but emissions would get you. Some nasties in the exhaust go sky high with hotter combustion. Testing would be rediculously expensive even if you could get the bike to pass (tens of thousands).

I haven't tried insurance, but I expect most of them will have the old legal clause where any illegal mods are not covered. And it's in most state's reg guidelines these days that affecting ADRs without an engineers report is illegal.
(30-07-2009, 01:44pm)surfabusa Wrote: I use to own a L J 2 door holden torana
came out stock standard with a 186 red motor
iput a 5.0litre 308 v8 in it, had to move steering colomn ,fit biger front disc brakes and get a engineer certificate

back in the late 80,s nsw no problems things must have changed

by the way i think this should not haved passed engineer certificate, as it was very fast in as straight line..had to put lead in boot for traction but as soon as i tried to corner at any speed the thing kept going straight both with lead in and out of boot

sold it after about 6 mths next owner wrote it off 2 weeks after buying it

is it that transport department wont accept engineer cert or is it engineers wont certify

Thats odd. They sure have progressed a fair way since then because
theycan get em to stop an handle now with even bigger motors...