Starter Button
Hi All,
My K7 has had a bit of a problem starting for a while. Plenty of juice in the battery but the starter button itself did not seem to be contacting properly. If I gave it a spray with some CRC and gave it a couple of minutes it was fine. So it would seem to be either a build up of oxidation or crap on the contact or the contact has burnt out!!! WTF. Has anyone else come across this problem. Can you replace just the starter switch or do you have to do the whole throttle assembly which would be a very Suzuki approach ( I love the bikes but jeez they're mercenary bastards sometimes!!). Any help much appreciated.
Cheers
Richard
It's a week by week charade.
(19-07-2010, 05:43pm)rjw3105 Wrote: Hi All,
My K7 has had a bit of a problem starting for a while. Plenty of juice in the battery but the starter button itself did not seem to be contacting properly. If I gave it a spray with some CRC and gave it a couple of minutes it was fine. So it would seem to be either a build up of oxidation or crap on the contact or the contact has burnt out!!! WTF. Has anyone else come across this problem. Can you replace just the starter switch or do you have to do the whole throttle assembly which would be a very Suzuki approach ( I love the bikes but jeez they're mercenary bastards sometimes!!). Any help much appreciated.
Cheers
Richard
You should find plenty of right hand handlebar switch assembly's complete on Ebay USA if you require one .Maybe even new ones .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
You should find plenty of right hand handlebar switch assembly's complete on Ebay USA if you require one .Maybe even new ones .
[/quote]

Thanks Greeny,
Is it much of a job to replace IT??
Two screws and one plug should take nearly 2 minutes
(19-07-2010, 07:09pm)BLACKZOOK Wrote: Two screws and one plug should take nearly 2 minutes

Your quick mate, take's me longer than that to find a screw driver .Thats why you get the Big buck's Bruce .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
whats more common it the clutch switch, easily identified from the starter switch as a fault by holding the starter switch in and moving the clutch lever in and out a little and see if there is a sweet spot which lets it start
The kill switch is one thing I have never used precisly for that reason...believe me coming from Pomland it happened over there all too often
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
Thanks Guys,
Didn't realise that the clutch was booby trapped too!!! (MMMMM boobiesLol3) I'll check it out and let ya know how I go.
Cheers all.
Chalk 1 up to Maj. Not what I expected, but.....when I went out and had a look to check out the switch had a go at starting it. Now given the previously described experiences where it behaved like a faulty ignition switch I didn't expect it to start. While I was pushing the start button wiggled the clutch lever up and down a bit ...AND IT FIRED!!!!Wtf
Even easier to fix than the starter button too!!! Thanks for all your help guys.
Cheers
Richard
I get it often after a run at the salt , probably replaced 4 or 5 so far , thought yours sounded familiar
Switches are not waterproof and can get wet when washed or in driving rain , surprised its not more common..
Thanks for all your help and advice at the moment Maj, don't think it has gone unnoticed! Clap Clap Clap
Just getting out of the workshop for air Heidi , gen 2 is getting a bit of work done