Launching a Busa
Hey Dan

Where are you practising? I have no intention of going to a drag track unless I have a bit of practice under my belt. seems like you have found a carpark both empty AND long! I'd like to come and play one day.

HEIDi <i></i>
Heidi,
Happy to run through the technique when I come down if you like.
Do you know a quiet bit of road?? Bruce

See here, young man, from Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy’s Gap to Castlereagh, there’s none can ride like me.
Banjo Paterson

<i></i>
theres a few good places heidi. some good roads that are empty after about 7 at night and good quality pavement. if you give me your email addy or number ill send the places to you. last time i posted somewere that we could have some fun (different board) the police were all over it for weeks. maybe could practise together and have a bit of competion to spur us on? <i></i>
As a newbie just a fewmonths down the road, I can endorse all thats been said.
I have been doing "street" starts and run now down to 11sec.
But I think that's about the limit for a low rev start followed by flogging the death out of it.
I've found that starting as per a street start is safe but slow. Even then I've had wheelies and tyre spinning. It just seems to depend on when and how hard you twist that right wrist after the clutch is out.
My next efforts will be directed towards holding more revs on the line and concentrating on the clutch as has been described above.
It seems to me, that if you do a street start, your 60ft times are going to be 2sec plus. End of story. And a fast time is a fast 60ft. So at the end of the day it seems to me you have to have quite a bit of revs on board and be very aggresive but contrlled until that clutch is fully out in 1st. After that, I think short shifting has tended to induce a bit of wheel spin in 2nd, so I'd suggest almost red line in first so you hit second at a faster speed.
As newbie, please comment on my thoughts too!! Feb 5th isn't far away! <i></i>
If you are experiencing spin at the Track, start looking at suspension and tyre settings.

A Busa will turn a cold tyre under acceleration, know your tyre and what it takes to heat it up.

The Shinko's I use need a bit longer in the burn out pad but also retain the heat longer.

Playing with the suspension settings should be your next point of call before lowering pressures as this could lead to other issues including lower MPH.

If you are running any modern sports bike tyre their profile tends to be pointier for obviously quicker turning. Let some air out to flatten the profile and hopefully get some grip, maybe drop to 30psi to begin with and a couple after each lap from there till its under control.

The term Street Starts is vague and varies between riders.
Read the earlier posts for a guide to what others are doing, work on your own technique and build up to 4500RPM like Blackzook has suggested.

For me the biggest improvements have come from improved clutch control and body position at the start.

Have Fun and Good Luck Shayne

<i></i>
Bear,

Go every week for a month or two and I'm sure you'll notice an improvement even without too many changes.

Leonard. <i></i>
ok guys and girls ive found my self a quite place to have a go at some launches and i think im letting the clutch out to early as i start to release the clutch theni must let it go as the busa jumps a bit and then goes into a big wheel stand ussualyany ideas? also i cant seem to keep the front wheel at a semi decent height because when i give it a wrist full the front wheel goes sky high no matter what i do so what can i do to change this? cheers <i></i>
Place your chin over the screen and smile.

That's what I call Launching a Busa.
Rgds BUSGO
<i>Edited by: BUSGO at: 16/1/06 8:43 pm
</i>
It's been a while since I checked this thread. I haven't been to the drags, but Feb 5th is getting closer.
I will maybe go down this week, but not sure if I'll get a chance. But practice is where it's at I'm sure.
Cheers <i></i>
Hi Dan

Two things:

1. Get all your weight over the front, sitting up is no go good, helmet nearly touching the screen.

2. Sounds like you are letting out too much clutch off the line, more slip, it will take 3 to 4 car lengths for the bike to settle and for you to be able to fully release the clutch.

Hope this helps

Shayne
<i></i>
Get the Billet clutch mod done and some big fat springs in it

and go out and feel how much better it is to launch

But as Shayne said take your time and let it out slow

you may kill a few clutch plates in the meantime though

When you get your start's sorted then start bringing the RPM

up a little, and go out to a Test and Tune and run on strip

don't try it on the street..PLEASE...........

At least there is an Ambo there to take you away if you get

it all crossed up......... Regards Richard and Nina <i></i>
i thikn i got my first half decent launhces down. seem to be pretty smooth(no crazy wheel stands) launching at about 3500rpm. still need alot of work on the clutch innitially. cant wait to get to the drags. <i></i>
Great stuff Dan!

Now get to the track

Shayne

<i></i>
only problem is a cash flow one keeping me in canberra besides i wouldnt wanna go out to the track and show all you guys up seriously tho i cant afford it at the moment will be going to bike fest tho. <i></i>
Sorry Dan and Zook, haven't looked at this thread in a while. Dan, my email is hpritchard(at)nla.gov.au send me an email with a place, I'd love to come and have a play. Blackzook, when you come down, you can show us how it is done.

HEIDi

P.S. Hey Max, want to come play? This sounds like FUN! <i></i>