Free Computer Help
Andy does defrag and I also setup auto defragger for him Busgo.
I also rechecked virt memory to auto too.
But I didn't think of the scan disc.
Thats a good one.
I have a feeling it is something like a bad sector so the scan disc should disregard that bad sector after scan.
It should ask if I remember right?
Google how to do a scan disc if you get stuck Andy
Yep, a Scandisk will mark bad blocks and sectors and they will be skipped at future write attempts.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
BUSGO Wrote:Yep, a Scandisk will mark bad blocks and sectors and they will be skipped at future write attempts.

I always did Defrag Busgo and regularly as I know how important it is.
Dj has set it up to auto defrag now and I have run scandisc 2 times now since DJ had a look and I had already tried Scandisc before DJ and guess what came out this morning and the first thing it told me was my virtual memory was too low and windows was adjusting it Idiot2 ahh computers silly things really lol
thats a weird one Andy.
Do you know how much ram etc you do have although I don't think that is the issue because if I remember it was a P4 computer.
I didn't see any unnecessary programs running either that would such your ram like that.
I suggest you take the virtual memory OFF the auto setting and set it to a size in megabytes of about 2048mb if you have more than 20gb of free space.
I have seen this error before on networked computers that are sharing devices or programs with other PCs on the local area network. When Windows starts up, it makes allowance for things that are likely to be called into operation as well as those programs already running.
(This is all done via the registry)
I have no idea of your home setup or resources, so it makes it hard to diagnose such things.
At the end of the day - If windows adjusts your vitual memory, it is not an error anyway, it is simply the operating system adjusting its enviroment so that it will work more efficiently.
Regards BUSGO
Confused
Confused
Thanks Busgo for your Input :)

My computer is a Pentium 4 and has a total memory on hardrive C of
19,037mb with 8,739mb of Free Space (45%) thanks to Dj Cleaning everything up nicely for me!!!

I am also running an external drive with 111GB ot total memory with 103gb of free space(92%)

I do not do any editing or play any games much
I just surf the net and store photos , control my Ipod and Iphone

What this Virtual Memory thing does seems to slow down the computer of freeze it sometimes which can be frustrating.
Before Dj had a look I could not start the computer for a week (it could not see the drive apparently, so it told me on startup and was unable to boot) I pulled it apart and made sure everything was tight and when I put it back together it started up . I asked DJ to have a look which he did :)
It is Definitely running better but even in the course of this post I have had the little alert that virtual memory is too low and windows is adjusting it
Confused
Ok Andy, you have a number of options.
1. A course of elimination for you. (I'm assuming that you still have your virtual memory set to Auto like DJ set it).
With the PC turned off, disconnect the external hard drive, Ipod and Iphone.
Start the computer up and run it for a while without any of the external devices connected and see if you get a Virt Mem adjustment.
If you don't get an adjustment message, shut down and plug one device at a time in and restart the pc again. Repeat the whole process until a virt mem message occurs.
This process of elimination may provide a clue as to what is causing the situation.

If you do get a virt mem message with all the devices disconnected, I suggest you set a locked in swapfile of about 2048mb of the free space on your C: DRIVE, then restart your PC again and see what happens.

2. There is also a chance that your External drive size is simply too large for the BIOS of your P4 computer to handle (NOT LIKELY THOUGH). If you run your external drive permanantly, you could try allocating a chunk of it's space to your permanant swap file location rather than the c: drive which is, in comparison, quite small. By doing this, there will automatically be more room for the virtual memory at start up but only if you leave the external drive plugged in and on at all times.
If for some reason you turn off the external drive or disconnect it, Windows will automatically create a temporay swap file on the spare space on the C: drive.

Good luck again with these options.
Regards BUSGO
Thanks Again Busgo
Well the process of Elimination is easy!!!
The computer was doing that (virtual Memory thingy) before IPOD, IPHONE and External Hard Drive and it was tha reason I got the hard drive so I could clean up the internal!!!
So I have set the virtual memory at 2048mb as you have told me , yesterday morning and I have not seen that silly notice since :)
I have also noticed that the computer responds alot quicker now :)
I will play with it for a few days and I will let you know.
Is it hard to put another internal drive or more memory in this thing to beef it up??

Thanks so much for your help again

Andrew :)
I have a lan at home and have just put a new printer in.

The kids used to be able to use the office printer from their bedrooms. Can't do it since we put the new printer in. I have installed the printer set up disk in their computers.

Any ideas please you computer guru's?

Cheers

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
resetup the printer sharing with the network setup wizard again
As DJ said but if you don't still have or use the old printer, uninstall it from all the PCs on the LAN as well.
Regards BUSGO
BUSGO Wrote:As DJ said but if you don't still have or use the old printer, uninstall it from all the PCs on the LAN as well.

Thanks DJ and Ray (the little good looking one) I'll dismouth the old printer on all of the computers and do the printer sharing thing again too.

Thanks lads. Feedback coming after I get that done.

MaxAustralia2HayabusaAustralia2
Hi Gurus,
my little guy, Alexander, has run into what appears to be a virus. A small box opens with a popping noise and advises "You have a security problem" and goes nowhere. I have installed adaware, that picked up 143 privacy and 2 majors. The pop-up is still there. While closing it advised that it was having trouble closing "rKvodifi.exe". I've googled it and found nothing. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Max - and Alexander.Australia2HayabusaAustralia2