rusting discs
I'm an old fart.
They started putting disks on production bikes about 1968-69.
There was a lot of experimenting with different compounds by the bike manufacturers. Some used cast iron and some used steel and some had problems at first with things like shattering disks and warping etc.
I think it was Greg Hansford that had a disk explode coming down Conrod Straight the first year they tried them at Bathurst. I've got no idea what sort of material it was.
I have just researched this . It appears that they use a "high carbon content 400 series (martensitic) stainless steel" or "420 stainless".

Sources: members.ozemail.com.au/~s.../About.htm
www.braking.com/home.asp?sel_lingua=eng (and select Products, Disks)
www.galferusa.com/MOTO.html (and select Rotors)

Rgds BUSGO
<i>Edited by: BUSGO at: 11/7/05 22:57
</i>
I'll look into it in the next couple of weeks.

Sometimes myths propagate into truths if you arent careful.

I'll see what comes up under the SEM, trouble is that its not much good at elemental analysis under 1%---- a good start

Do you remember where you heard they were Mild Steel ? <i></i>
As i said,im sure they are a mix of steel and stainless.
Its interesting in the fact that they have to be hard enough not to gouge or wear out to quickly,accept heat so as not to warp to easily and not too hard so as the pads can have enough bite to grab. Phuck its the phantom!<i></i>
Find below results from the SEM, I would dismiss the low Silicon content for a number of reasons. Basically a 13% Cr Steel. Cannot ascertain Carbon content as below 1% in this material. Other processes / Instrumentation and sample piece required.
For those interested in S/S properties there are many Australian websites that give good guidelines on applications etc
eg www.assda.asn.au

I also checked the disc material on my 955i Triumph which is manufactured by the same company as the Busa although different in design....... checked out to have the same ( exact ) elemental analysis.

<i>Edited by: Gazza414 at: 22/7/05 7:57 am
</i>
WOW... I can't believe you actually did the test

thats way cool or maybe I am just too much of a geek
<i></i>
And how much did tha cost we tax payers?
<i></i>
I care not! Thats cool I'll be very happy for you all to shove 10 cents of tax money in to it, better then in little Johnnys pocket ;)
<i></i>