cheesecake FIXED update with pic
Very valid info above from FF1 and I know where Maj is going?

If you have the opportunity question your Suzuki Technician wrt the "starter Clutch" -- if he suggested this is the problem ...... ummmm he doesnt understand how the mechanism works.

Bottom line is Bill, the "starter clutch" will engage hard or lock when the motor turns backwards or anti clockwise when viewed from the RHS and will turn the starter motor gears with it including the starter motor at lets say ... very high rpm if something doesnt fail beforehand.ie as has been mentioned, idler gear spigot support casing, idler gear teeth stripped, crankshaft spline twisted, spline on starter motor stripped.

So dont waste your money on the crankshaft mounted "starter clutch"..... it isnt as such BUT a one way drive mechanism ( a series of roller bearings designed as cam arrangement to lock on an inner sleeve when rotated one way and slip when rotated the opposite direction -- they are commonly called "pauls")

Another suggestion is to take the bike to another Suzuki dealer for a 2nd opinion and maybe ask them if they have 1st hand experience witht his issue and have worked on the Hayabusa in this area.

Hope it works out.

ps on the 03 system the idler gear becomes a torque limiting clutch and in doing so because of the design, other components including the outer housing are all different. Its a very expensive exercise to change over and one which isnt warranted 99.9% of the time. <i></i>
Something else worth considering for all and sundree that own 2002 to 2005 models --- they all use the same ECU and the same ignition mapping.

SO , how many of you owners of 2002 onwards experience backfiring when starting??? <i></i>
gazza the backfiring could very well be my fault as it hasnt had a full 12000k service yet and its 3 yrs old oh the shame so that is getting done on thursday will let you know what else they find it could just be the tuning that will eliminate the clunking here is hoping will post final results so we all know what the hell is going on.... Regards Bill

"Secret Mod Group Is Kicking Butt"

Busa's Rule On The Rest<i></i>
Might just be Bill. Hope the situation is resolved , as you have a genuine concern about a component breaking and it wont be cheap.
The clunking maybe one tooth already broken off on a drive gear .!!!

Goodluck <i></i>
Ok guys thanx for all your helpfull advice the cheescake is fixed and running very well the problem ended up being the starter clutch it was well and truely worn all the teeth were perfect and no damage was found anywhere had the service done at the same time all the pots are @ 150 which I am havery happy with they only found one fault with the bike and that was my rear pads which are about to get replaced

So again thank you for all your helpfull tips and at least now we know how to fix a clunking starter Regards Bill

Thanks for the update Bill.
How much did it cost at the shop to replace the starter clutch. (It's handy to have an idea when you get a quote)
Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
busgo all up it cost me $765.35 but that included the 12k service minus the oil and filter change I have a couple of prices here but I do not know which is right I remember the guys saying it was about $330.for the starter clutch hope that helps I am sure that includes all the gaskets also Regards Bill

Good to hear Bill, do you have some pics of the "worn out "starter clutch"?
Were you informed as to why this component failed prematurely?

Just hard to imagine how this component can wear????..... unless it was Cheese from the factory? <i></i>
I was told the wear happens when the battery is low and the pawls on the starter clutch are not engaging properly thus wearing out where the pawls run making it skip and jump instead of running smoothly the more it jumps the worse it gets untill it dont engage at all mine was getting there slowly the backfiring issue no longer exists as the tune up solved that problem so look out track here I come Regards Bill

Good Bill, glad it worked out.

Over the weekend ( time permitting ) I'll take some pics of the 03 onwards setup and post in the mods section for those interested in the differences, although subtle. <i></i>
Gazza here is a pic of the worn out clutch I have posted it very large so you can see the damage the mechanics say that the outer surface with the top arrow on it should be as smooth as the inner surface when it gets like that all worn out it starts to jump and the cause is low battery hope this helps
Regards Bill

Well , that's interesting Bill, the one way drive mechanism is RS due to the journal wear. Wonder where the meatal shavings have gone to?

Here's a pic or 2 of how they should look when dismantled, and assembled.

I'll add a few other pics in the mods section wrt changing over to the 03 onwards starter system .

This is the ONE way locking mechanism

and this is fully assembled

and this is the Starter drive gear train to the crank. The small gear behind the 1 way drive gear is the camshaft chain sprocket

<i></i>