rusting discs
I noticed when my bike was off the road for a month that the disc (rear) had started to get surface rust on it.
I'm a bit concerned that this will get worse in winter.
Anyone heard of this and any remedies?
Besides the obvious one...ride the mother... Cheers,
Pete
Z Web World

Sound ya horn when going past a manned speed camera.
Let's all give them a protest blast!

You can make a difference!
More Info

<i></i>
Spot on DJ. If you went for a ride occassionally , thus using your bike and giving everyone here a break from reading your ever increasing message count , then it mightn't corrode up .

Alternatively you could alway oil it to protect it

this look like DJ, his tail in a spin if he so unwisely chose to heed my last .

Keep it up DJ, it nearly always an interesting read.

Dave<i></i>
Thanks ...I think Dave.
Well never had this prob on my '83 1100e!! b Cheers,
Pete
Z Web World

Sound ya horn when going past a manned speed camera.

More Info

<i></i>
You are asking for it there DJ.
The RUST build up is because of not riding the bloody thing. Im sure there are a lot of vic members with this problem. Phuck its the phantom!<i></i>
ok thats not so funny

I have had access to a car for a few weeks and have not been riding everyday like normal and I also got this rust.

Is there a way to stop it from happening or a good way to clean it off ?

me = getting a full water prove bike pocket cover
<i></i>
Oil probably would NOT be the best thing to apply to your brakes.
There really isn't much you can do. Just try cleaning it occasionly and it won't get bad. <i></i>
Turn the wheels and apply brake pressure.
The surface rust will magically disappear.
They rust because they are made of mild steel for grip.
Those that are made of ceramic and carbon fibre dont rust but are lighter and cost a bomb. Kawasuki will swear that they work better though don't you Ray?

Maybe they will be standard on the NEW busa. Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
RaZ80 have you seen this gismo for rotors.
www.braketech.com/cgi-bin...ake,Models <i></i>
You learn something new on this site everyday

Mild Steel Discs!!!!!!! <i></i>
They are usally a mixture of steel and stainless steel.In the earlier jap bikes they tried a very high % of stainless so as they wouldnt rust,problem was that the bloody things had no bite either. I remember my old kwacka was bloody dangerous in the wet,the things just wouldnt work.The cast iron on the dukes where great,but then they would rust easily.Cant have every thing. Phuck its the phantom!<i></i>
Ok I'll bite Gazza, if they are not mild steel, what are they?
I understand they have some alloy mixed in but I believe they are generally mild steel.
Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
Bus, answer is I dont what they are for sure on the Busa. Prob a martensitic grade of stainless. 400 series

I'll take one into work in the next few weeks and check roughly the composition on the SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope)
If someone has a rooted disc I can analyse using another machine which can interrogate the substrate, atomic layer by atomic layer and map the material...... I need a donation of a disc though and are more than happy to undertake the work and share the information.

On another note Busgo, I have machined these discs and they arent 180MPa yield Mild Steel thats for certain.

hope this helps and sorry about the smart arse comment.... not directed at you or anyone in particular. <i></i>
Dunno if it helps but Mild steel is a carbon/iron based alloy. Its might be some form of molybdemun alloy which is a very hard wearing metal.
But Gazza could be right. <i></i>
Gazza,
I wouldn't expect you to bother with a Mythbuster test for this unless you want to for your own interest.
My comment about mild steel was intended to get the point across about why they rust. I don't think any of us really care if they are low grade steel or surgical stainless. They probably start out as mild steel and are heat treated or have an alloy added to some degree to strengthen them.
Rocket is probably right about a mix of mild and stainless.
They are made to be smooth in order to create friction on the disk pads or visa versa, BUT not too smooth otherwise they will lock up too easily. This leads me to another reason why they appear to rust. If sintered pads are used and they leave deposits of the metal filings on the disk, I reckon that these will quickly turn to rust and give the appearance that the disk is rusty after rain. It is still only light surface rust though.
My 2c worth again.

Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
This Board and you guys never seize to amaze me, I never thought I would learn so much about a frikkin disc for Gods sake, and I'm an ex Motor Mechanic too!
Ther's always a reason why things do what they do and once again you mythbusters have cracked it...
Well done guys, interesting reading as always... Cheers,
Pete
Z Web World

Sound ya horn when
going past a manned speed camera.

More Info

<i>Edited by: Djpete&nbsp; at: 11/7/05 22:24
</i>