Is insurance worth it?
Well I'm a big believer of Insurance I've had a couple of offs where they weren't my fault and one that was mine when things got out of shape doing a 180k wheel stand.

All my road bikes have been brought brand new and have had Insurnace on all and I'm in front in relation to costs.

1st Bike - VT250 had for 3yrs 30,000k's - ins $500 a yr - Went down the Road when I 17 cause from building rubble across a corner that was shaded. 250 was worth $3000 new $2500 damage and the insure got the money back from the builder once we proved it to be them. (Claimed).

2nd Bike - VF500 did nearly 60,000klms not much as one scratch on the bike. No Claim Insurance $500 a year, had for 3yrs.

3rd Bike - VFR 750 had for 5yrs and not quite 80,00k's - Written off $8000, Insurance approx $800 a yr intially but was around $400 a yr when the bike was written off. I had a aboriginal girl run out from behind a car straight into me in the main street of Kalgoorlie in front of the Pub and only doing 50klm/h. Bike was that badley damaged on the left hand side that you couldn't turn right on it. Most of the damage was cosmetic but when things like oil coolers cost $2500, Dash $2000 the cost racked up really quick and the insurance company paid out on it. In saying that my mate brought it of the insurance company for $1500 and then cost him a further grand and it was all up and going bloody steel.

4th Bike - GSXR1100WP had 15yrs - My F_ _ _ K UP big time, showing off doing wheel stand as mentioned above and got it all wrong but oh well Shite happens. Anyway ins was approx $1100 when I 1st got the bike and was down to $250 when I sold it. $8000 damage to the GSXR due my stuff up ( not that insuance company knew that ).
Did nearly 90,000k's on the old girl and was a bloody great bike.

5th Bike - Well what can I say the Busa - Ins $700 a yr. not even 1yr old yet.

It's quite funny I had a new CR250 for years and never dumped it once, had plenty of scratches and so on from branches etc maybe I should've stuck to the dirt for a while.

So as you can see sometimes it's all about circumstances and some bad luck but I'm a big believer in Ins it only takes one big off regardless of blame and you've recovered your money as it costs a fortune to repairs these Plastic Fantastics .
Good story Rev004.
You should be more careful.Ghastly
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
honestly. to buy a new busa is around 20 grand.

do you have 20 grand to throw away??

i dont

if you borrow money you have to insure them..
sorry the banker in me

if you can live without your bike then dont insure or the price tag...

give u an example
we paid for years into insurance for crops(wheat ect)

got totally wiped out in 10 mins..

neighbours 45%

if we didnt have insurance would have wiped us completely
To answer the original question; insurance is never worth it - until you need to make a claim that is!

No matter what you decide with comprehensive make sure you have TPP. It is cheap and running into anything will easily cost a few grand, more if its an import.

The original question should be rephrased, is $3k per year too much to pay IN CASE you have an at fault accident (or the other isnt insured)? Depends on how much of a gambler you are and how much you can afford to to lose 18K.

Cheers
BUSGO Wrote:Good story Rev004.
You should be more careful.Ghastly

Thanks Bugso Lol3

I think I've done a pretty good job since my last mishap which was about 15yrs ago - whoops I need some wood to touch..
steventh Wrote:To answer the original question; insurance is never worth it - until you need to make a claim that is!

No matter what you decide with comprehensive make sure you have TPP. It is cheap and running into anything will easily cost a few grand, more if its an import.

The original question should be rephrased, is $3k per year too much to pay IN CASE you have an at fault accident (or the other isnt insured)? Depends on how much of a gambler you are and how much you can afford to to lose 18K.

Cheers

I would probably have to agree even though I'm a big believer in Full Comp insurance like I mentioned above but 3k is a lot of money.

Not sure if this is a factor but over here in WA if you take out finance you have to take out full comp insurance or that use to be the case last time a financed a bike. Is that the case in the east.
Rev004

I believe that is a requirement of the Finance co not the Government. the finance co doesn't want the hassle of trying to get the repayments for a car / bike tht is either written off or inopperable.

Cheers
cheeky Wrote:honestly. to buy a new busa is around 20 grand.

do you have 20 grand to throw away??

i dont

if you borrow money you have to insure them..
sorry the banker in me

if you can live without your bike then dont insure or the price tag...

give u an example
we paid for years into insurance for crops(wheat ect)

got totally wiped out in 10 mins..

neighbours 45%

if we didnt have insurance would have wiped us completely

20 grand---that's less tham 10 days in Saturation.
Wm
(22-02-2009, 06:30pm)Leviathan Wrote: My K8 is the first bike I have insured, full comp is around $700 / yr (using my 60% driving no claim bonus as good driving history). I gambled with my other 2 bikes and luckily for me it worked out, one of my mates was not so lucky and wore a 14K dept for an abstract impression of his former bike.
Sorry, this probably hasn't helped at all.

Mate the slinky down the stairs is about the best I've heard! 'ken funny

Regards
Stevec
My '06 is insured for $12,000. Costs me $400 per year.

I think 3rd Party Property should be compulsory. You shouldn't be able to register a vehicle without it.
"casting dispersions on others credability." And their illiteracy.
(08-01-2011, 04:46pm)Rainbow7 Wrote: My '06 is insured for $12,000. Costs me $400 per year.

I think 3rd Party Property should be compulsory. You shouldn't be able to register a vehicle without it.

+1 Pi_thumbsup i agree 100% .. should be the same as your greenslip, illegal to drive or ride without it.
(08-01-2011, 04:46pm)Rainbow7 Wrote: My '06 is insured for $12,000. Costs me $400 per year.

My k9 cost me 700$ for 17000$ replacement full comp cover....BUT IM A GOOD SA RIDER..we never do no wrongs....WHAT 299 kph shit OFFICER I didn't think they made bikes that fast.....that cant be right it couldnt have been me...you radar must be faulty.....WmLol2
I normally pushbike ride to work 10 minutes, and on the Landcruiser do under 2000kms a year and about 3000km on the motocycle. No comprehensive on either. However when I am at work use a car for about 8 hours of the day and have never had a major accident in 20 years. So will still take the risk of not getting comprehensive insurance. Knock on wood.
(10-01-2011, 01:35pm)jamdonut Wrote: I normally pushbike ride to work 10 minutes, and on the Landcruiser do under 2000kms a year and about 3000km on the motocycle. No comprehensive on either. However when I am at work use a car for about 8 hours of the day and have never had a major accident in 20 years. So will still take the risk of not getting comprehensive insurance. Knock on wood.

Yeah fair call, but this only takes your good driving / riding record into account.
What happens when you are in an accident caused by someone else & they do not have insurance? Or they were DUI & wiped by their insurance company?
They continue on & you are left with the bill of fixing your vehicle & any medical bills.

Full Comp will pay all of your costs & then chase down the individual that caused the accident to get their money back. No headache or dramas for you.

I've been riding for over 25yrs & have only ever had 1 accident on the bike. I was hit from behind on the freeway. No way of avoiding it.
I had no insurance & the prick that hit me had none. $4k damage to the bike.
Spent lots of money taking him to court. He pleaded poor & I was awarded full reimbersement paid by him at $25/wk for 13yrs.

He paid for 9mths & then disapeared. That was 8yrs ago.
Was doing the ring around for a greenslip. Most of the "major insurance companies" wanted around $630. NRMA were $110 cheaper is I insured the 2002 'Busa with them, but the problem there is that they wanted $1099.00 to insure it Scary. A bloody rip off. After speaking with Kev at Monaland re the CTP, he quoted me just over $400.00 for the comprehensive insurance, including $1000.00 for saftey gear. At that rate I'm considering it but NRMA's $1099 is just rediculous. Kev at Monalond was a couple of hundred dollars cheaper on the CTP also Pi_thumbsup.

Cheers...Brett