Plastic Welding - How Good
Has anyone had their fairings plastic welded and if so what was the end product like.

Was the weld "invisible" from the exterior or did the part need repainting? Any photos would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
steventh Wrote:Has anyone had their fairings plastic welded and if so what was the end product like.

Was the weld "invisible" from the exterior or did the part need repainting? Any photos would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Steven

Hey Steven,

I've had some stuff on the K2 plastic welded. They guy that did it on the coast here did a superb job, really neat end result. The inside was neatly ground smooth and the exterior he left filled and primed ready to repaint and I did the top coats.
Sorry I never took any pics of the work done.
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info.

Was the repair to bad damage that would require painting no matter what, or was it a tear or crack that could be repaired without needing a repaint?

I cant see how you could get a join so good that you would not see at least a hairline mark in the painted finish (which some seem to claim).

If the repair can be seen I may as well do it myself and paint, if the professionals can do it so repainting is not required then I will get it done professionally.

Cheers

Steven
I had a crack done a few years ago, stirling job, didn't need repainting. Far cheaper than a new panel. No photos, sorry. I was amazed at what they could do.
Thanks Heidi,

I will look into getting a professional job.

Cheers

Steven
I've had my front guard palstic welded. Very clean, but not very strong. I found araldite was better, but needed sanding and re-spraying
Mine was some rather large cracks and tears around the centre bolt in the left side faring. Needed painting anyway. He also did some repairs to a few smaller cracks in the oil cooler surround that weren't visable and didn't require additional work, but we are also talking about a panel without a top coat luster.
Folks,

Thanks for your info. Ive actually used "superglue" before but was concerned aout its strength (even though Ive had no problems). I will give it another go and maybe take some pics.

Cheers
Try DEVCON--Plastic Welder. Better than araldite.