Cold Start
Sounds like our crappy winter fuel blends, if the problem goes away as the seasons change and it gets warmer, then that's the problem.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
Hi,
Update, took bike back to dealership they had my baby for 2 days, balanced bodies etc but wont you know it the tempertature climbed to 20 + when they had it. Fast idle was re-set to about 1200-1300 rpm. All has helped but now temp has dropped to 8 degrees & problem is still there but not quite as bad. On the up side the dealership is trying to find the problem, they will even come to my place 1st thing in the morning to see what exactly is happening. Brave guys as I start at 5.00 am each morning. Looked at fuel etc but doesnt appear to change anything. The guys at the shop are more than happy if someone out there has found the fix to the problem.
(03-07-2009, 05:51pm)ohdear Wrote: Did they obtain A/F readings ? I ask this again as to basically break down what the problem is A/F readings will give you the answer. It sounds like leaness caused by incorrect ICS (Either adjustment or fault with the ICS circuit) or incorrect TP sensor adjustment. The idle speed is now set to high and outside base idle setting parameters. Does it idle smoothly or erratic ?
What is the name of the shop ?
Cheers

Hi Ohdear
TP sensor was out, in fact was loose, so I know this was reset. If they did obtain the A/F reading they were not letting on. Can the average shop check this? Yes it has to be in the fuel/air mix. When sitting at around 80 in 4th the motor lightly starts to hunt. Was told this would happen with the management system as the OS adjusts fuel mix to meet emission requirements. Once past the 1st few minutes of warm up idle appears to be fine. We all know on cold day starts the system should richen up then lean off as things warm up. Was some talk of removing the oxygen sensor to set up a mid range setting, not on in my book, if all systems are working correctly there should be no need to remove shit to get it to start correctly. Will go back this morning to see if they did get an A/F reading.
(04-07-2009, 06:49am)ohdear Wrote: Also ask if they have an SDS unit and also if TP was set using dash or with Ohm meter ? You can roughly check and set TP yourself simply put into dealer mode and make sure the dash reading is correct (Tells how in workshop manual) But ohm meter is more accurate. Does bike idle smoothly once warm ? Are you in Bundaberg ? Yeah I know questions questions
Cheers

Hey no problem ask away. Yeah I live in Bundaberg. When bike was in the shop Dean the guy working on my bike said the TPS was loose & was out 1 degree. He had reset this when the bodies were re-balanced. But wouldnt you know it, when it was in being looked at the temp had climbed & it would start fine. I would say they have an SDS unit as he did talk about it. Once the bike has found itself you can stop it seconds afterwards & it will start time after time. Can take up to 5 hits to get it running even feathering the throtlle the bike will stall until it starts to run clean. From there on in it will idle & run fine.Confused
Hi Steve46,

I'm guessing you are the other Black Busa in Bundy that I was talking that day when we both dropped our bikes in for their 1,000km service? I'm the Black K9 with the Microns.

I also have a cold starting problem, but not as bad as you. Mine will idle a bit rough first start and, if you try and give a tiny bit of throttle, it will die. Even if you don't give it some throttle, it will die. But second start is normally a charm. I must admit that I don't start work at 5am though. Most of my bike starts are late morning/early arvo on weekends (when the dewy grass has dried - can't get the beast wet & dirty now, can I?). I haven't mentioned it to the shop as I just thought it was something to do with the different slip-on mufflers.

Anyway, I'll definitely mention it to the shop next time I am in there.

Regards

Michael
must be bad if queenslanders are having cold start problems! i'm south of sydney and have an 08 with only a few thousand on the clock. i leave work at 6 in the morning and temps can be zero here. mine idles rough for around 10- 20 seconds then comes good and has done so since new. always started first hit- touching the throttle will kill it but it has never stalled on its own yet. i figured that was just what they did. in having owned a lot of dirt bikes over the years i found suzukis tended to run rough on starts and always took the longest to warm up- something in the piston alloy maybe? anyway if a type fault is found im sur a few of us would love to know about it- i haven't even thought about contacting the dealer but probably should before the warranty expires if problem is fair dinkum.
Ludicrous speed- go!
Keno, Mine is exactly the same as yours and I think that it is the way that they should be.
One stab of the button normally fires it up and holding the clutch in till it picks up revs always seems to work.
Now and then, it will stop but a second jab never fails.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
My 09 busa has done it in the cold weather from day 1. You guys are right, any throttle and it dies. So i just let it shake for a few seconds then it comes good. If the day comes when it stalls, i will mention to dealer. Until then i just put it down to a minor inconvenience to having the worlds fastest production bikeTrophy
(24-07-2009, 08:45am)bigjay Wrote: My 09 busa has done it in the cold weather from day 1. You guys are right, any throttle and it dies. So i just let it shake for a few seconds then it comes good. If the day comes when it stalls, i will mention to dealer. Until then i just put it down to a minor inconvenience to having the worlds fastest production bikeTrophy
+1 mine is the same idles like a dragster for about 30 secs and comes good, has never stalled in this process however but I never touch throttle either. Good to know it is normal anyway
Hey Busgo, you are right about the clutch. If you hold it in, no worries. Let it out, and she dies. When you do let the clutch out, does your bike rattle a bit?
if you cold start a bike on a rear stand in nuetral you will see that the back wheel actually turns as the cold thick oil provides a bit of drive through the clutch plates to the gearbox even in nuetral.Pulling the clutch in will remove that slight drag on a struggling cold motor.
Trophy

After reading all posts regarding this starting problem, I have failed to identify any solution. My K8 also struggles in the cold, and took around four attempted starts last night (-1 degree) to get it running. I find it annoying that when the problem is mentioned to mechanics, that they try to spin you a story of why it happens just to keep you happy. You would think, that with the level of technology these bikes have, that it would take a simple software update on the bikes computer to solve the problem. My opinion only. If there are any bike mechanics out there, please supply a little input.

Attached Files
.jpg   Hayabusa and pipes2.JPG (Size: 46.37 KB / Downloads: 50)