Buying gear from Hong Kong & China
All,
I see on a few threads, old & quite recent, where people have purchased aftermarket items from Hong Kong & China etc & are far from happy when the item is received.

Not knowing what you are getting is a major issue when buying sight unseen from overseas. Especially from places like Hong Kong & China which have a a dodgy past record to say the least.

I lived in China for a number of years, & as such I have numerous friends in Shanghai, Ningbo & also the Hong Kong region.

What I can offer is;
If you intend to purchase an item on-line from around these areas, depending on travelling distance, I can ask one of my friends to visit the vendor, inspect the goods & take photos to send back to you. Prior to the inspection you can ask for specific photos of certain areas which you may feel could cause a problem.
You can then have a look at the photos & decide if you really do want to purchase.

I can not offer this for free as it costs money to travel around, & the incomes in China are far lower than here. But the cost would be actual expenses only. Bus, taxi etc to get to the relevant vendor.

Approximate costs would be advised prior to undertaking the trip so you can decline the service if you wish.

But I'm sure you can appreciate that spending $50 on an inspection is far better than losing $700 on crap that doesn't fit.

If you wish to take advantage of this you can email me at bmiddleton@pb.com.au or call me on 0409477014

Also keep in mind that if your seller refuses to allow a pre-purchase inspection, it's a damn good chance you don't want the crap anyway.
i tell ya thats a champion idea mate i must admit i have never got bitten from china / hong kong luckly but i feel for others that have spent alot of there saved cash an not gotten a top notch product i nhave had a few shit things out of the states sory to say im happy not to shop OS if i can

but i agree the small fee that is for travel is well worht it Clap Clap Clap
(17-07-2009, 09:30pm)big kev Wrote: i tell ya thats a champion idea mate i must admit i have never got bitten from china / hong kong luckly but i feel for others that have spent alot of there saved cash an not gotten a top notch product i nhave had a few shit things out of the states sory to say im happy not to shop OS if i can

but i agree the small fee that is for travel is well worht it Clap Clap Clap

Yep, it's always handy to have someone on the ground.

I'll be in Shanghai in 3 weeks time for a few days. Will be visiting a few friends. It's a great city.
Don't have time to get down to Hong Kong this trip. Definately next time tho.

Might try to get to HK in October. Will be in Dubai for a week. Might try to drop into HK on the way home & say G,day to a few mates.
Very good of you to help others in this way.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
Now thats what you call service!
Very nice of you louwai Pi_thumbsup