Leather Jacket preservative
I have just bought a new jacket on Ebay.
It is one of the Rocket Suzuki jackets as made in China and seems to be reasonable quality for the price. good fit for my body.
Problem is it is predominately White with black, and am sure it wont stay clean white for long.
So do any members have any suggestions as to firstly keeping it white and secondly as to any sort of total leather preservative treatment.
YES I KNOW IF I DONT USE IT IT WONT GET DIRTY. Roll
UV and air are going to change the colour over time. A barrier will help slow the process, Armorall or a leather upholstery spray should work.
[Image: zzzCustom.jpg]
"par excellence"
(31-07-2009, 10:20pm)imagunna Wrote: ..... So do any members have any suggestions as to firstly keeping it white and secondly as to any sort of total leather preservative treatment.
YES I KNOW IF I DONT USE IT IT WONT GET DIRTY. Roll

Yakked with an old lady working leather about motorcycle jackets. She advised that a leather treatment will maintain soft pliable leather while feeding the leather the shit it needs. You can get it from saddlery shops (shops where you go to buy horse saddles) called "Coachaline" She was kind while advising Dubbin will not protect the leather, just water proof it. Comes in a pop-top steel can, not particularly cheap or expensive.

I use it on my leather jackets and trousers every 6 months or so. Helps keep the rain out of the leather a bit, and does keep it soft and pliable, cleans it too.

There is work involved - circular motions with a soft rag and let it settle in. No rubbing off anything, they want you to keep this stuff on and in the leather.

Hope this helps. If you can't get it where you are send me a pm and I'll send you some from my local (20 kays away) Saddlery Shop.

Cheers

Max
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
For excellent leather protection that includes softening, waterproofing and cleaning, I use a Victorian product called "RENAPUR".
You normally see a few chicks polishing boots at the trade fairs at Phillip Island race meetings and other large events with this stuff.

It has a high percentage of bees wax in it and a small pot costs $30.00 and my 1st one is still over half full after 3 years of use.

You can send $30 for a pot and $8.00 for return postage and insurance to

Cross Bars P/L
14 GLYNDA ST
DANDENONG 3175

You might want to call their number 1st to make sure this is still the correct address.
(03) 5940 5599.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO
Lovely weather we're having.
(01-08-2009, 01:05am)Madmax Wrote: "Coachaline"
I use it on my leather jackets and trousers every 6 months or so. Helps keep the rain out of the leather a bit, and does keep it soft and pliable, cleans it too. There is work involved - circular motions with a soft rag and let it settle in. No rubbing off anything, they want you to keep this stuff on and in the leather.
Cheers
Max

I use the same stuff, if you can hang the leather in the sun before and after to heat it up - helps it soak in better.
I've got the exact same jacket and I'm a fan of Dubbin. I remember the old man treating all his leather bike gear with it when I was a kid and I guess the name sort of sticks in your brain if you're exposed to it as a kid. I'm not aware of any spray on products...that would just be too bloody easy.
Australian Leather Seal is what I use. Comes in a yellow can with a little bumble bee as a decal. Use it on everything, leather that is!!!!! Bought it at the motorbike show at Jeffs shed a couple of years ago.
Woman,where's my wallet?
And whats for tea?

I use the same stuff, if you can hang the leather in the sun before and after to heat it up - helps it soak in better.
[/quote]

I could get away with hanging it up in the sun inside the house Bruce, if I hung it up outside here in Canberra I'm sure it would freeze!Scary
Pi_thumbsup
Thanks to all who offered advice, especially Max, tried a couple of saddlers here and they knew of coachaline but didn't have it.
Thanks to Busgo, have contacted cross bars and ordered some renapur.
Note:- the lady, Lesley ( her husband died with cancer) is selling the product at the same adress but has a new phone number 0359405599.
Cost is now $30.00 + $8.00 postage.
Said she would not be at the Island this year, and does have a webpage.
Clap
I'm sure that you will be happy with the results mate.

I'll update the phone number and price in my post too.
"If time catches up with you. You're going too slow!"
Regards BUSGO