Brakes and rear wheel bushes
Hey guys , My front pads are worn like a triangle , thinner on top and fatter on the bottom it's not even. Is this normal ? What pads are good replacements ?(see 1st photo )

Also the rear wheel bushes have gouge marks on them , do they need replacing , is this normal ? (see 2nd photo).

Answers appreciated .

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brake pads have a tendency to wear like that its no biggy, the gouge your referring to is on your cush drive and that seems normal as well. as far as brake pad go i think EBC sintered are about the best getting around at the moment.
Pads are stuffed and i would replace your Cush drive (rear rubbers)
I got Neolothane cush drive from Boostbysmith

http://www.boostbysmith.com/cush.html
[Image: photo3.jpg]
Nigel,

I dont think they need to be replaced the cush drives as the slots and the outer edges of the wedges are not damaged. I belive these are quite expensive to replace.

The deteriation you have is when the inner part of the sprocket hub rest against the rubbers. This should not happen. The spacer in your photo should keep the sprocket hub from resting on the rubbers so that the only part of the sprocket hub that contacts the wheel hub are the alumiun fins that fit into the slots in the rubber.

The damage you have suggests that the sprocket hub is touching the wheel hub which should not occur. There should be no metal to metal contact between the two hubs. There is movement between the two under acceleration and engine braking so any contact will cause wear of the hubs.

Having said this you may not have a problem just oversize rubbers or rubbers that arent seated properly.

Was there any fine aluminium dust in the area to indicate metal to metal contact? Look at the end of the fins and on the wheel hub between the rubber slots; have these been filed? Inspect the internal surfaces of the wheel and sprocket hubs - are these worn? They should not be.

(This can not be tested by putting them together and "feeling" for touch as they are pressed together by 70lb/ft torque when tightened).

If they are not worn then the two pieces are being kept seperate and therefore I dont think there is a problem. Check that the rubbers are installed properly. The cush rubbers have rubber protrusions on the bottom that fit into holes in the hub check this and that they are seated properly.

If there is no metal to metal contact I would not replace the cush drives, just monitor and only replace if they get worse.

However, if there is metal to metal contact you have a more serious problem which could be caused by;

1; You RHS bearing is not seated properly. It should be seated first so that the left bearing is set at the right depth (this is kept apart by the internal hub spacer - you do have an internal hub spacer dont you) so that the sprocket hub spacer is set correctly.

2; the sprocket hub spacer is not the correct length.

This is only my opinion and Im not a mechanic so probably dont know what Im talking about.

Cheers

Steven
Thanks for the replies, very comprehensive answer Steven , thanks , there is a little bit of burring on the spocket shaft too i better get a mechanic to check them over asap :)
mate,
i had exactly the same problem not long ago with my cush drive but a lot worse than that photo,i replaced all the parts in that area including rubbers cause i reckon there was wear on the bushes and spacers and i got all the parts from usa,landed here it was about third of price compared to local.you could actually move the sprocket about 10 mm before the wheel moved the rubbers were that bad.

I dont think they need to be replaced the cush drives as the slots and the outer edges of the wedges are not damaged. I belive these are quite expensive to replace.

The deteriation you have is when the inner part of the sprocket hub rest against the rubbers. This should not happen. The spacer in your photo should keep the sprocket hub from resting on the rubbers so that the only part of the sprocket hub that contacts the wheel hub are the alumiun fins that fit into the slots in the rubber.

The damage you have suggests that the sprocket hub is touching the wheel hub which should not occur. There should be no metal to metal contact between the two hubs. There is movement between the two under acceleration and engine braking so any contact will cause wear of the hubs.

Having said this you may not have a problem just oversize rubbers or rubbers that arent seated properly.

Was there any fine aluminium dust in the area to indicate metal to metal contact? Look at the end of the fins and on the wheel hub between the rubber slots; have these been filed? Inspect the internal surfaces of the wheel and sprocket hubs - are these worn? They should not be.

(This can not be tested by putting them together and "feeling" for touch as they are pressed together by 70lb/ft torque when tightened).

If they are not worn then the two pieces are being kept seperate and therefore I dont think there is a problem. Check that the rubbers are installed properly. The cush rubbers have rubber protrusions on the bottom that fit into holes in the hub check this and that they are seated properly.

If there is no metal to metal contact I would not replace the cush drives, just monitor and only replace if they get worse.

However, if there is metal to metal contact you have a more serious problem which could be caused by;

1; You RHS bearing is not seated properly. It should be seated first so that the left bearing is set at the right depth (this is kept apart by the internal hub spacer - you do have an internal hub spacer dont you) so that the sprocket hub spacer is set correctly.

2; the sprocket hub spacer is not the correct length.

This is only my opinion and Im not a mechanic so probably dont know what Im talking about.

Cheers

Steven
[/quote]