need advice
hey everyone as you all know i am about to go to the navy and need some advice.

i really want a busa and i am thinking about buying one after my 11 weeks of training.

the question is, should i get a smaller bike first or jump straight to the busa?? i was thinking of getting a little zzr250 before the busa just to learn a bit of road craft an the fact that i only have my L's at the moment but will get my P's before i start the training.

so what does everyone think i'm stuck! HELP!

i have got a fair bit of trailbike experience under my belt.
i urge you not to rush in to quickly nick there will always be busa's around and you have all the yrs ahead to ride and own 1 please think about this i honestly think you know your self you need more road craft i think its really dangerous to your self mate as you have your future ahead of your self

please talk to surfbusa see what he thinks? i know i would not want to here that you have hurt your self on that beast with out haveing the propper training and experience.

i urge you to take along look at this be for you make a decision young man you have a promising carrer in the navy that should be your focus not a bike

cheers big kev
(23-08-2009, 07:53pm)bigfoot Wrote: hey everyone as you all know i am about to go to the navy and need some advice.

i really want a busa and i am thinking about buying one after my 11 weeks of training.

the question is, should i get a smaller bike first or jump straight to the busa?? i was thinking of getting a little zzr250 before the busa just to learn a bit of road craft an the fact that i only have my L's at the moment but will get my P's before i start the training.

There will always be two trains of thought here, but it's probably better to start off with something smaller and build up your road craft. There are some who launched straight onto a busa - (from memory, I think Pan may be in that group) but it's a rarity to my knowledge. There are lots of good learner legal approved bikes (up to 650 I believe) and they will usually hold their value for as long as you need them. The other consideration is that you might be at sea for a fair while at a time so it may be better to have a cheaper 250 sitting around gathering dust instead of something more expensive (in terms of insurance and asset value etc). You can always convert it into a track bike once you've got your 'busa down the track.
Learner legal for starters get a older one first so if you drop it a few time it won't matter too much, its a lot cheaper to fix that a busa, prob not what you want to hear Pi_freak
im unsure of what muster your going to and postings etc but more than likely youll have to 'live on' for a probationary period for at least 6 months once you have finished your training and r posted the majority of 'live in' accomidation does not have undercover parking let alone secure carparks theft is rife in a lot of bases my advice would be to hold off untill you secure a 'RA' rental assistance property where you can lock your bike up
Hi Bigfoot,
I dont know how old you are or your experience but I can only reflect on my own. I choose not to ride a big bike when I was young even though I had ridden dirt bikes but I felt I would not be able to control myself as I had fallen off in the bush numerous times as I used to go flat out every where. The road is a lot less forgiving and if you come off on the road the result is worse than coming off in the bush. I would recomend that you start out on a smaller bike as the Busa is a heavy bike in comparison and the small bike would be easier to control if you get into trouble and the Busa will get you into trouble quick if you let it. Even at 49 years old now I find it hard to control myself and have had a few scares Scary due to the Busa's power. In the end it's your choice I only hope its the right on. Undecided
i didnt really wrap up my rant, buy a cheap bike untill you move off base get a motard or something and i agree with the others busa bad choice as first bike
o.k everyone thanks alot for the advice may look at a motard or just a cheap road 250 that i can use when i'm at home, i'm sure it is the best thing to do now as i have sampled an 06 busa and it scared the shit out of me when i was only in 1st and 2nd gears on barely 1/4 throttle thanks again for all advice will just wait until the appropriate time comes!
Ditto...

both from riding experience and 'clean up'...
(23-08-2009, 07:53pm)bigfoot Wrote: hey everyone as you all know i am about to go to the navy and need some advice.

The only advice I can give is be kind to your mother, if asked to find the golden rivet during your basics be wary.
Donâ€t mess around with a 250, youâ€re in the navy now, act like a true sailor, and go in balls and all get a new busa.
Yes
Dave
my first bike is the one i own now! i practised on everyone elses bikes first

like eveything in life... 'you always remember your first' Coolsmiley

my first car- VE Valiant
first motorcycle- 99' Red/Black Busa(and still grinning)

lead foot/twitchy wrist = no licence(no more riding)
OR hospital
OR coffin

...'with great power comes great responsibility'...
GenII Hunter Knuppel2
(23-08-2009, 11:24pm)Hutch99 Wrote: my first bike is the one i own now! i practised on everyone elses bikes first

like eveything in life... 'you always remember your first' Coolsmiley

my first car- VE Valiant
first motorcycle- 99' Red/Black Busa(and still grinning)

lead foot/twitchy wrist = no licence(no more riding)
OR hospital
OR coffin

...'with great power comes great responsibility'...

Great quotes Hutch love`m.Pi_thumbsup
'The more professional you are, the closer you get to your client' Leon.

Jesus dude , learn to walk before you run -- I have been riding bikes now for over 20 years ( inc trail and road ) and its only just been in the past few years that i have gone to a bike 1tr or above. Not because i am a slow learner , but because i wanted to have excellent riding skills of each size bike before i moved on.

These machines can be a serious piece of kit , and if not controlled properly will bite you FRIKEN hard, ALL newby riders have issue with throttle control when they first start out , i have seen it countless times. by this i mean when you find yourself in a little bit of trouble - the bike takes off from you and the first thing that happens is you pin the throttle( because your trying to hold onto the bike with your arms and not using your lower back and stomach muscles to hold you upright) - and doing this on a busa will guarantee 0 - 100 KMH in a very very short amount of time= serious injury / death - on a 250 in first gear, this scenario would only be about 40 KMH - your going to get hurt when you bounce of a car , but that would be pride rather than ribs , arms , legs

Think of it like skydiving , you just dont go up in the plane and jump out and hope for the best because you liked what you have seen then think you can handle it, NO before you can do solo jumps you have to do almost 10 Jumps with 2 instructors ( first few anyway - AFF ) only then when instructors think your ready for next progression you move on ( understand this analogy ? ) If you don't have the experience of a few years on anything short of a 750cc bike then just don't do it

Busaboc
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....
Personally I'm glad I didn't get a Busa for my first bike...I would not have handled it. I started with an old XT250, then moved to a VFR750 Honda. The Busa is too big and powerful for a first road bike in my opinion. I wouldn't jump from a 250 straight to a Busa either as the weight & power characteristics are light years apart.
Work your way up learning as you go...be patient and when you finally get that dream bike...you'll still be stoked...I've wanted a Busa since they were released and I still get a chub everytime I ride it.Pi_thumbsup
thanks fellas was thinking maybe get a srad gixxer 600 or 750 first then eventually step up to a busa, its just that the only bike i want is a busa but if i do buy one to soon i'm afraid i'll scare myself and lose all the confidence an 18 year old has. so at the moment will buy a 250 to sit in the shed and then when i get my opens might buy a 600 or 750 and then a busa. least then it won't be such a dangerous jump! and my mum will have a heart attack if i came home with a busa for a first bike!