Cam Chain Tensioner recall
Okay people, help me out with any info you may have...

Yesterday late afternoon, while stopped at the lights, my motor stopped. Tried starting it and it made funny sounds. Had it towed to 10/10ths and Col said the cam chain tensioner is gone. Could be big damage to valves, etc...

Just by coincidence, yesterday early afternoon, while changing rear sprocket with Blackzook present (before the break down), I rang Suzuki and checked recalls on my bike. I thought I had done them before I bought the bike, just 14 months later (yesterday) I thought I'd call again because Simmo recently had cam chain done too... They told me the recalls had all been done... though I explained I had no plate to show for it.

Today I found out that the cam chain tensioner had been recalled a few times "until they got it right" and there is supposed to be an oil line coming out of it. Mine does not have this.

Suzuki are saying some dealer in Nowra did mine in 2000 and has since changed owner, but as far as they are concerned they paid for it (though it seems it was not done properly).

What can I do?
What should I do?

(PS: I won't be going to WSID tonight)

"still no clever comment to make"<i></i>
Further info...

I just spoke to Suzuki in Victoria who said both the recalls had been done according to their records and they clearly stated they are not liable for costs of repairs...

They said the bike had "an oil line coming out if the cam chain tensioner" but must've been replaced at some point after 2000...

It looks like I'm stuffed and just have to pay for repairs, huh? <i></i>
not good news pan but hey it gives you a reason to buy the better black/blues Regards Bill

"Secret Mod Group Is Kicking Butt"

I Am Not Racist I Hate Everyone Equally

<i></i>
Not good. Maybe the agent was paid to do the job but never did it ? In that case the mod kit might still be sitting on their shelves. How else would Suzuki's data base reflect the recall having been done other than by the agent reporting the recall completion back to Suzuki Australia

<i></i>
Wait till I get my bike back Bill. I'll come there and show you black and blue...

Rev, good point. My theory is either the dealer didn't do it, or did it, then the bike was damaged and the repairer didn't do it...

Either way it looks like it's going to be expensive. Probably throw extra monay at it while the motor is out and make it faster too though...

"still no clever comment to make"<i></i>
Sorry to hear the bad news PAN.
Simmo and 1HOTBUSA insisted on lifting my tank up at Walcha to check that mine had been done too.
I hope your damage is minimal mate.

Rgds BUSGO
<i></i>
Thanks Ray.
I'll know in early January when 10/10ths opens up again... <i></i>
I would still be making a lot more phone calls, motors traders, fair trading type people before I would be spending up big on a 1450 kit.
Cheers Robert
World Wide CEO
Easyrider Imports
www.easyriderimports.com.au
<i></i>
Still thinking about it, but I don't know how many times the bike has been crashed or how many owners have had it, so without the history I don't have any strength to argue legally...

The only documented history (Suzuki) shows the two recalls were done properly... <i></i>
Ask them to send it to you in writing ( tell them your legal department needs it as you wish to take this matter further as you are not a satisfied as a valued customer ), try and back track the dealer for any details. You should be able to track it on the Vin no with a bit of luck.
Cheers Robert
World Wide CEO
Easyrider Imports
www.easyriderimports.com.au
<i></i>
I agree mate give it a go you have nothing to loose. I worked for many years in the contract department of a multinational company and am fairly good at writing letters of demand. Let me know if you need a hand. Quite often those that push HARD get what they want. Bruce

See here, young man, from Walgett to the sea,
From Conroy’s Gap to Castlereagh, there’s none can ride like me.
Banjo Paterson

<i></i>
Got them to fax it earlier today.
Recalls were both done on 31/10/00.
Dealer was in Nowra. No longer exists...
<i></i>
No evidence exists that work was done to Suzuki specs. No external line was fitted hence failure. Give it a go. Why not Bruce

Banjo Paterson

<i></i>
Their records state that it was, and they said it must've been modified after 2000 (and they have records that bike was dropped in 2001 too!!!)

Basically the picture they paint (and what they would use as a defence in legal proceedings) is that the bike was fixed, then crashed, then repaired on the bodjy by someone before I bought it.

They have documentation that this MAY HAVE happened. I have no documentation that it didn't.

1450 motor is looking like an option all of a sudden... <i></i>
Pan u have a pm Bruce

Banjo Paterson

<i></i>