skulled busa heads
(23-12-2009, 09:13am)Legend Wrote:
(23-12-2009, 02:19am)Madmax Wrote:
(19-12-2009, 09:28pm)Legend Wrote:
(19-12-2009, 12:56pm)Madmax Wrote: Can I ask what a skulled head is please?

I have one here if you want to take a closer look!

Leonard.

So do you skull a head that has port damage or as a pure performance mod?

I'd love to see one Lenard.

It looks like you spend an awesome amount of money on the head to achieve better flow?

Max

Most of the time they skull the heads when your chasing big hp 600+, as one small screw up, a lean out etc will melt the aluminum but the ampco material will handle it, thats why its used for valve guides etc.
Not a performance mod more a safety mod.

For example I wouldn't bother with it on my 600+hp turbo methonal busa as heads are readly avalible and all thats done to it is a port job.

On the other hand when you have a one off head on a 1200hp blown nitro motor then it could save you in the long run or be used to repair that head.

Head work can be quite expensive if you start chasing the last 1hp out of the combination (which they do in pro stock) but for a street or sportsman racer spending hours ($$$) on the flow bench to get another 2hp may not be worth it.

Next time your in Sydney, I give you a look at the head, some of the guys here have seen it, and will agree its a work of art!

Leonard.

Thanks, I'll look forward to it.

I'm looking for some one to tune the Yoshi Stage 1 Cams. Is there anyone in Sydney capable of giving me a decent tune that you know of please?
I had them tuned here in Canberra and the stockers were quicker than the Yoshis. They just had no idea of what they were doing.

Cheers
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
US$1,500, week turn around for the busa head. Leigh
Pic of my EFE skulled head to give another view. Leigh
[Image: pumamotorassembly005.jpg]

[Image: pumamotorassembly004.jpg]
Getting ready to make some noise.