Would like to crack a 9
Hey guys, I have an 08 Busa with a yoshi R-77 full system and a K&N filter as the only mods. I have had the bike out to the strip only once before and ran 10.6@141.6MPH, the 60ft time needs some work.. the best I got was a couple of 2.0 's. weight is not on my side as a rider I am 110kg+ riding gear. My local track is dominated by ZX1400's and I'd like to wipe the smug smiles off their faces. So, can anyone advise me on bike set-up, launch technique's, mods, gearing recomendations. would like to keep the bike as steetable as possible (so not so keen on lowering and stretching) Any help would be appreciated .
You will have to lower it. There has only been 1 person as far as I know who has run an honest nine on a stock as a rock gen 2 at stock height and she weighed half what you do.

1. Screw adjustable lowering links
2. Front strap.
3. 18-45
4. Lots of practice.

You will get there.
+1 to what Bruce said.
You can still ride to the track lowered, i used to on my old zx14.
It'll take a shitload of practice and tracktime, oh and lose any fear in cracking the throttle Coolsmiley goodluck Pi_thumbsup
7.95@175mph, that's gota make me the quickest dog groomer in OZ Biker
Pro StreetBike Smitten
Thanks to my crew and sponsors:
IM Compsoite Technologies www.imcomposite.com.au/
Country Brewer www.countrybrewer.com.au
Hydrodog Cranebrook http://www.hydrodog.com.au/
With the strap and screw adjustable lowering links you can ride to the track at stock height and then within ten minutes lower it for racing. When done back to stock height for the triumphant ride home.

BTW the ZX14 is a good bike - 2 riders - equal skill but with a 20+kg weight difference then the lighter rider will always win.
Mods are only half of the equation the other is practice, when you can run in the mid 1.8 60's then lower and strap and you will be in the 9's
may need some clutch mods to make it progressive enough to be smooth, i'm not so up to date with the 08+ clutches,Leonard or Simmo may be able to offer better advise in this area
Hi Grizzly,

I've got a K8 with R-77s with stock filter and PC3. I'm about 105kg + riding gear.

I find different fuel levels have different effects and using a cut seat helps.

[Image: 6580_1183838641236_1386341327_483705_767944_n.jpg]

I've been told to soften the rear shock and lower tyre pressures but haven't tried it yet.
Licence Back!
Lowering will definately help calm the wheelies, but don't think for a minute that because its lowered it will do 9's automaticly, you'll still have to work at it.

The idea is to get to full throttle asap, eventually before the tree, but start small and build up to it, dont worry what others are doing as they know once you've mastered the gen2 there's nothing else stock that will get near you!

One last bit of advise, ride the bike yourself, no need to find out that someone else can ride it quicker than you....I think thats just soul distroying and unproductive.

As for the clutch, thats up to you, I rode Bruces 1441 and though that BTL needs looking at, but Bruce said he didn't have a problem with it.

Just get it welded up if its a problem. (snatching on hard launches).

Leonard.
(04-01-2010, 09:31pm)BLACKZOOK Wrote: run an honest nine on a stock as a rock gen 2 at stock height

I also saw a bloke do it at a test n tune here (even had stock pipes on) so it is possible I guess.

Just not by me Lol2
Licence Back!
Thanks, all good advise. Seems seat time and practice is going to be my new mission. (and maybe a deit for me!!!) I'm guessing getting weight off the bike itself is difficult and expencive?
Practice, practice & then more Practice
1.6 60 foots & you will be running mid or lower 9s Pi_thumbsup
(05-01-2010, 08:09am)Grizzly Wrote: Thanks, all good advise. Seems seat time and practice is going to be my new mission. (and maybe a deit for me!!!) I'm guessing getting weight off the bike itself is difficult and expencive?

i went through this earlier in the year and yes, its not easy. The secret to the Gen2 is weight balance. More weight to the front and less weight in the rear. Do some research on some hayabusa forums in the states on bike setup. They do this more often than we do. Also PM Simmo. He's the man to speak to. He's got the numbers and experience to know what works...........
Thanks for idea's and advise guys, might have to save some pennies for some lowering links and a strap and practice like mad. I'll keeps ya posted on how I go!
Goodluck Pi_thumbsup
Welcome to the addiction! soon 9s won't be enough and you'll be craving 8s Very Happy
7.95@175mph, that's gota make me the quickest dog groomer in OZ Biker
Pro StreetBike Smitten
Thanks to my crew and sponsors:
IM Compsoite Technologies www.imcomposite.com.au/
Country Brewer www.countrybrewer.com.au
Hydrodog Cranebrook http://www.hydrodog.com.au/
(06-01-2010, 10:12am)Grizzly Wrote: Thanks for idea's and advise guys, might have to save some pennies for some lowering links and a strap and practice like mad. I'll keeps ya posted on how I go!

I've got dog bones and straps here I have never used (don't get to Sydney enough). I'm not sure what they are worth, $50?
(04-01-2010, 08:10pm)Grizzly Wrote: Hey guys, I have an 08 Busa with a yoshi R-77 full system and a K&N filter as the only mods.

I managed a 9.79@150mph out of my K8 mate with the same two mods as yours at stock height, except I was using the M4 system and not the yoshi.

With 2 up on rear (45), BTL modded and a quickshifter added I got a best of 9.69@152mph at stock height.

I weigh 86kgs race ready.

A heavier person at "stock height" has no real less advantage. Maybe some disadvantage to a degree slammed.

They are definately capable with some practice for sure.Pi_thumbsup

Good luck with it.