Greg Pretty .
Greg Pretty was killed in a head on bike to bike crash in the Adelaide hills Today

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story...6,26594966- 5006301,00.html
For you younger bloke's, He was an Australian road racing champion around the seventy's. Condolence's to friend's & family,He will be sadly missed .

Sorry ,the link doesn't work,I'm not that clever.Check paper's & TV .
(17-01-2010, 12:46am)Greeny_SA Wrote: Greg Pretty was killed in a head on bike to bike crash in the Adelaide hills Today

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story...6,26594966- 5006301,00.html
For you younger bloke's, He was an Australian road racing champion around the seventy's. Condolence's to friend's & family,He will be sadly missed .

Sorry ,the link doesn't work,I'm not that clever.Check paper's & TV .
Try this

Double fatality in the Adelaide Hills
Article from: The Advertiser

* Font size: Decrease Increase
* Email article: Email
* Print article: Print
* Submit comment: Submit comment

DAVID NANKERVIS, RENATO CASTELLO

January 16, 2010 07:50pm

SOUTH Australian motorcycle racing legend Greg Pretty has been killed in a head-on crash with another rider, who also died in the horrific Hills collision.

The champion rider and former SA Sports Star of the Year, and the other man, were pronounced dead at the scene of the collision on the Macclesfield to Echunga road, near Macclesfield.

Pretty, 54, of Enfield, and the other rider, a 51-year-old from Broadview, were travelling in opposite directions.

Police believe the Broadview man, who had been riding a Kawasaki, had crossed to the wrong side of the road when he hit Pretty, who had been riding his Honda with a group of friends.

Pretty's mate of 30 years and former racing competitor Rick Dowsett said the motorcycle community was in shock over the tragic loss.

``He was a top guy, a fierce competitor and true friend to many people,'' he said.

``He won a lot of production races and was very professional about his sport, which he took seriously, but he would have a few drinks now and then with his mates.''

Pretty was also a Duke of Edinburgh Award winner in 1979, the same year he won the Australian Unlimited motorcycle racing title.

He also raced for a short time in the UK in the mid 1970s.

The crash happened at a bend about 50m north of the Monmouth Farm Rd intersection about 11.20am, on a stretch of road locals said was popular with motorcyclists.

The crash takes the number of people killed on SA's roads this week to eight and the state's road toll to 10.

It is the worst start to the year since 2006, when 11 people had died by this time in January.

Senior Sergeant Brenton Rowney, of the Major Crash Investigation Unit, said that the rider of the Kawasaki had made a ``very grave error'' that had cost two lives.

``The Honda was heading south on the correct side of the road, the Kawasaki was coming this way (north) and veered on to the incorrect side of the road for whatever reason and killed both of them,'' he said.

``Clearly this accident today or this collision today is as a result of someone driving outside their skill level.

``If people to continue to do that, no matter what the police do or what members of the public do the road toll will continue to climb.''

The collision happened outside the property of Tracey Conlay, 44, who was alerted to the crash by her barking dog.

Ms Conlay joined an off-duty nurse who had stopped to try and help the men but she said there was nothing they could do.

``I would do it again, and go straight there and try and help,'' she said.

Pretty had been riding ahead of a group of friends, who Mrs Conlay said had described him as a ``legend'' and a ``very good rider'' who had ridden through Europe.

``I'm feeling for the other riders, I sat with them for a while and I can understand their feelings,'' she said.

``And my condolences to the partner of one of the men, you're welcome to come up here to be at the site anytime.''

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
R.I.P. GP and other mystery rider,

condolences to the families & friends of both....
It's a tradgedy when we lose one bike rider.....even worse when we lose two at the same time & place....Pi_thumbsdown

I lost my best mate (also closest riding buddy) to the same circumstances (2 bike head-on) on our favorite riding road (Mac. Pass) more than 11 years ago....and the pain is still (& always will be) there with me....

Some people like to think that "time heals all wounds",
...but time can never heal the wounds that lie so deep within your heart & soul...Confused

Did you know either of these two riders personally, Pete? If so, sincerest condolences m8.

baz.
Coolsmiley
I remember Greg's name from "The day". Our condolances to his family.

Lost a mate in the Adelaide Hills the same way in 1981. Ride hard Barry, we still think of you! I told you Hondaz were dangerous!!!Biker
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
Sad to hear,tragic loss.Another riders error it seems.
its always very sad to rea news like this and more that he was a raceing icon , condolences to family freinds and loved ones. tis very sad news
not good at all , R.I.P to the riders.
Far out, No bike accidents/Fatalities over Xmas period, now several. As I was reading this thread, the TV news was just reporting a double fatality off a bike in the Batemans Bay area only 5k's from the fiery Tanker crash a few weeks ago. Apparently a Car was at fault, I hope I don't know them personally, over a dozen funerals last year, I don't want to attend any more.
Greg Pretty used to ride for S.A.'s Pitmans Yamaha on an XS1100. He raced in the modified unlimited class (Now Superbikes) the XS1100 was converted from shaft drive to chain drive and boy, was he quick on that thing, he wasn't much slower on the Production version either. I raced with him in all major rounds back in that era including Arai 500 at Bathurst and both Coca Cola 8hr endurance races at Oran Park, although I wasn't a personal friend, I had spoken to him as a fellow competitor, he was a man who commanded respect on the track and was Adelaide's golden haired boy in the M/C press during that Era. I could be wrong, but I think he ran an Aviation business or was flying a Twin for an Adelaide based company.
Not that it helps this situation now, but obviously the poor bugger coming the other way was out of his depth and cooked it on that corner with disastarous results, I think I am pretty safe in saying that we have all cooked it at some time in our riding careers, most of us learn from it (if we survive it) and ride within our capabilities, no matter how low or high on the scale that may be. Unfortuneatly many riders don't learn at all & continue to ride outside their envelope, being a danger to other road users. Look at Alan Hales, another fierce competitor of that era, died up the old road, not necessarily totally his fault. Many would like to think they are invincible and that it won't happen to them, unfortuneatly we are only flesh & bone and it can happen to U.
My sincerest condolences go out to the families and friends of both riders concerned. RIP.

Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
Everybody dies, not Everybody lives !!
There is no substitute for grunt !!
Every boy needs more than one toy !!

Quote:tex wrote :I think I am pretty safe in saying that we have all cooked it at some time in our riding careers, most of us learn from it (if we survive it) and ride within our capabilities, no matter how low or high on the scale that may be. Unfortuneatly many riders don't learn at all & continue to ride outside their envelope, being a danger to other road users.

in the first year of road riding about 3 years ago on the 650 i run wide (top of kulnurra and last corner of the nasho) and it scared the absolute shit out of me , lucky nothing was coming in the opposite direction , not speeding at the time just didn't pick the radius of the corner and didn't have the skill to get around on my side. I almost pulled the pin on riding after the second one.
R.I.P. Brother
Well said tex.

Very sad news :(

Condolences to his family an loved ones.
Sad to hear..... Condolences to the family and sending them prayers to help them through this most difficult time..

I feel their pain...
Smitten May Marky always be with me and guide me through life Smitten
I doubt theres anyone who hasn,t run wide at some point or made a serious error. Mostly we get away with it. And then theres the time we dont. My sincerest condolences to both families
(17-01-2010, 02:25am)bazman Wrote: R.I.P. GP and other mystery rider,

condolences to the families & friends of both....
It's a tradgedy when we lose one bike rider.....even worse when we lose two at the same time & place....Pi_thumbsdown

I lost my best mate (also closest riding buddy) to the same circumstances (2 bike head-on) on our favorite riding road (Mac. Pass) more than 11 years ago....and the pain is still (& always will be) there with me....

Some people like to think that "time heals all wounds",
...but time can never heal the wounds that lie so deep within your heart & soul...Confused

Did you know either of these two riders personally, Pete? If so, sincerest condolences m8.

baz.
Coolsmiley

Greg was a mate of a mate,& I use the road often,time to adjust the internal alarm a click .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Sincerest condolences to both families