Asylum Seekers
Again... recent comments are mixing illegal immigration and disrespect for the host nation with asylum seekers - they're 3 separate subjects with minimal overlap.

"Regarding Our National Anthem...It was written in English, and should be sung word for word the way it was written".

Maybe with one exception for certain occasions. I heard it sung beautifully in an Aboriginal language leading into the English second verse at the World masters Games in the Olympic stadium, and thought it was an awesome performance for the people in the crowd representing 90 odd (I think) nations.
Carpe Diem!
(28-04-2010, 12:04pm)Throwdown! Wrote: "Regarding Our National Anthem...It was written in English, and should be sung word for word the way it was written".

Maybe with one exception for certain occasions. I heard it sung beautifully in an Aboriginal language leading into the English second verse at the World masters Games in the Olympic stadium, and thought it was an awesome performance for the people in the crowd representing 90 odd (I think) nations.

Throwdown ....... are you introducing another discussion/debate? There are many dialects/regions in the aboriginal language. Who are you not going to upset if you introduced a verse or two into the national anthem? I'm afraid that this is a never ending topic (asylum seeking, migration, race relations etc) and will unfortunately be so.
Where's Ya Snow Plough?
I can't believe this thread is still going!!!!
It wasn't an introuduced verse, it was the first verse translated into the local Aboriginal tongue.
Carpe Diem!
What region of the greater aboriginal dialect would you have part of the Aussie Anthem sung in (don't mean introducing extra verses) without upsetting all the rest; who is to say one is better than the rest, that's all I was saying. Just trying to compare it to the jist of this whole thread. You will never please everyone Confused
Where's Ya Snow Plough?
whats wrong with being racist anyhow?

no really, what difference does it make?

K
hayabusa : nipponese for "most superb sports tourer"
(28-04-2010, 05:44pm)Kala Wrote: whats wrong with being racist anyhow?

no really, what difference does it make?

K

Because you should judge someone on what type of person they are not where they come from. I dont uderstand hating someone because where they are from.
me either - plenty of other ways to judge people, where they come from is just one of them, i guess

but still.. people get really keen to label each other as racist like it will win the arguement without question. does it, tho?

"you shouldnt be racist" is a bit vague as a reason not to be

K
hayabusa : nipponese for "most superb sports tourer"
(28-04-2010, 10:31pm)Kala Wrote: me either - plenty of other ways to judge people, where they come from is just one of them, i guess

but still.. people get really keen to label each other as racist like it will win the arguement without question. does it, tho?

K

You could always adopt the thoughts of a bumber sticker I saw - I'm not a racist, I hate everyone equally!!

Works for me lol
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
(28-04-2010, 10:31pm)Kala Wrote: me either - plenty of other ways to judge people, where they come from is just one of them, i guess

K

So what are the reasons to be racist?
(28-04-2010, 04:12pm)Monkeyfish Wrote: What region of the greater aboriginal dialect would you have part of the Aussie Anthem sung in (don't mean introducing extra verses) without upsetting all the rest; who is to say one is better than the rest, that's all I was saying. Just trying to compare it to the jist of this whole thread. You will never please everyone Confused

A national anthem is by defination 'nationalistic' - it only has one version. It can be played/sung in jazzed up ways at parties or certain celebrations, but that would not be appropriate for serious, national functions (witness the debacle at Cronulla Sharks' ANZAC Day celebrations last weekend for an example).

At the World Masters Games there was a 'welcome to country' introduction by (presumably) the Aboriginal people who originally settled in what is now Homebush, and they sang the first verse in their native tongue. I don't think there would be other 'local' Aboriginal people about, who would be peed off that they were over-looked, would there?

In any case, it's not an argument to include Aboriginal language into the official national anthem, but it was nice at this level of event and seemed more approriate than (say) singing a verse in Greek, Italian or Arabic.

-----------------------

On the question of 'what's wrong with being racist?' I'll reiterate what I said earlier - it's a free(ish) country to be whatever you want to be, and a thought never harmed anybody. However, acting unlawfully on those thoughts is another matter. You can't ask people to respect your right to be racist if you then violate the same rule of law that gives you that right, to then disrespect their position.

Bringing it back to this thread, under our current laws and obligations, foreigners have the right to seek asylum in Australia. If you don't like the way it's panning out, let your MP know and change our obligations. Simple!
Carpe Diem!
(29-04-2010, 08:55am)Throwdown! Wrote: Bringing it back to this thread, under our current laws and obligations, foreigners have the right to seek asylum in Australia. If you don't like the way it's panning out, let your MP know and change our obligations. Simple!

Bringing it back to the original question ............ don't jump the queue! We don't like queue jumpers. Have you been to the supermarket lately, I'm sure that peeve's you off regardless of who it is. We don't need more 'socially challenged' people here. Go through the right channels, you never know, they might be pleasantly surprised. Mind you, there seems to be a crap load of pommy mechanic's in the area. Maybe we need to let through more drive through attendants; I hate waiting more than a minute at the local bottlo. Sorry for trying to be a little lite hearted but I'm at work and it's depressing.
Where's Ya Snow Plough?
The whole thing is depressing, but they are going through the right channels IF they are asylum seekers - all they have to do is get here. If a country accepts asylum sekers (that's our choice) all they have do is "reach our shores". If they don't fly in (like most do, but no one calls them queue jumpers), then how else does an asylum seeker get here? Seeking asylum isn't a part of immigration law, so they can't be jumping a queue - there is no queue!

People smuggling is illegal, using their services is not. Kind of like some of the aftermarket parts you can get for your bike - legal to buy, illegal to use.
Carpe Diem!
Nothing sus Coolsmiley ....... now move along
Where's Ya Snow Plough?