superchargers?
Hi Im at university and we are building a Hill climb car, not dirt hill climb a road hill climb. For those unfamiliar its a very short course, rarely taking more than a min, on incredibly windy tight roads. Our current choice of engine is a Hayabusa engine. Most hill climb cars will run hayabusa engines, and more often than not supercharged. Due to the way hill climbs are, turbos are simply useless, you need your power THEN any lag is unacceptable.
Anyway what we are considering is something that I don't think has been done before, a twin screw supercharger. Does anyone know if it has been done before? they are certainty available in sizes small enough to work on a hayabusa even as low as .62l per revolution. If someone knows if it has been done that could save a lot of time and possibly prevent an engine from being ruined. Any information that could be relevant would be much appreciated.
Here is the second concept pic for your viewing pleasure
[Image: Team_ECU_hillclimber_by_armandodesign.jpg]
Talk to Maj.
it looks good space aged
I think i still have video of a once local turbo hill climb car, no slouch but not for the faint hearted , i think he fixed the lag problem by not backing off ,, race to the sky in NZ
Sprintex in WA may be your best source of info on twin screw superchargers, i think a few in the US have tried them but in comparison to a turbo or the rotrex/paxton/prochargers there is a lot more heat /psi
Hayward engineering in Leongatha fit rotrex to hill climb cars and make drive systems for them, Brett builds and races the cars, and may be a good source of info too
sounds like fun, come back and update us occasionally
(02-06-2010, 11:47pm)Maj Wrote: I think i still have video of a once local turbo hill climb car, no slouch but not for the faint hearted , i think he fixed the lag problem by not backing off ,, race to the sky in NZ
Sprintex in WA may be your best source of info on twin screw superchargers, i think a few in the US have tried them but in comparison to a turbo or the rotrex/paxton/prochargers there is a lot more heat /psi
Hayward engineering in Leongatha fit rotrex to hill climb cars and make drive systems for them, Brett builds and races the cars, and may be a good source of info too
sounds like fun, come back and update us occasionally
that would be so scary, not backing off on a hill climb.
but yeah currently the two that I have found are auto rotor, and Lysholm.
I only found auto rotor because they are used on minis and im guessing that you can give a busa engine more air than a 1300cc mini engine. I completely forgot about sprintex, I think that's the kind that is made by a guy around the corner from my mates work, they are way over priced, for a full kit I mean. Intercooling is still possible, and not that difficult. Twin screw is better than roots for staying cool, marginally, but centrifugal is way better than both. Only problem is that we want the power all the time. that's why we would prefer to avoid rotrex
Man.. University has changed since I did engineering.. Almost makes me want to go back and do it all again.
(03-06-2010, 07:28pm)daaef Wrote: Man.. University has changed since I did engineering.. Almost makes me want to go back and do it all again.
yeah well im actually doing a motor sports course, absolutely awesome. the cars that have been made in the past are usually fsae cars using a measly 600cc engines that have to run air restrictors, there was a formula ford at some point and this year they are also doing something to a mustang but we have the power to weight, speed etc. even near limitless access to prepreg carbonfiber
(04-06-2010, 04:37pm)Gumby1008 Wrote:
(03-06-2010, 07:28pm)daaef Wrote: Man.. University has changed since I did engineering.. Almost makes me want to go back and do it all again.
yeah well im actually doing a motor sports course, absolutely awesome. the cars that have been made in the past are usually fsae cars using a measly 600cc engines that have to run air restrictors, there was a formula ford at some point and this year they are also doing something to a mustang but we have the power to weight, speed etc. even near limitless access to prepreg carbonfiber

Hi
I have done exactly what you are talking about doing .
The problem with any of the Autorotor ,Lysholm or sprintex positive displacement blowers ........is they cant work over an effiecent enough rev range for a motorcycle engine.
You get boost the moment you crack the throttle , but from mid range on they run out of available rpm at the blower and wont move any air .

I have an autorotor sitting here in the box ....and opted to go with a Rotrex as it can cover the rev range of a busa motor or any MC motor for that fact . Its all about your blower selection and finding the right one for you and marrying it up to the right static compression ratio to bring it on nice and early ....but still allow you to run plenty of boost . Also fuel selection is crucial so you can cool the charge and so you dont need intercooling ..............Im running alcohol for that very reason .

Good luck with it mate .......its a lot of fun and with the right blower combo you should end up with well over 400Hp at the wheels even in a car.

Gregg
TTS ( uk ) now includes a intercooler with their kit " rotrex "
Richard from TTS says 250 without intercooler 300+ with , remember anything to do with air compression means heat so an intercooler is realy a must.
Ps no room on a b-king for a intercooler Very Happy
http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk/Rot...abusa.html
[Image: c601c1ce-9842-4115-9e87-ba3580e1bd58_zps4974f345.jpg]
If your doing 15 Laps around a circuit and your tanks not big enough or your not permitted to use methanol , and you want to run big boost ...yes you need to cool the charge some how .
Im running 24 lb and its not intercooled , as Im running methanol and Im making a ton more power than anything TTS are producing ........ and no I want be quoting the number incase one of my competitors is on here . So if your Drag Racing or using a Busa motor in a Hillclimb car you car you can easy run 24 lb with Methanol and be un intercooled and make huge power ..........and I know cause I have a living breathing example that race at least one a month in my garage .
TTS dont even support the end of there supercharger drive with a bearing of any kind , which places huge load on the bearings on that side of the engine.

Gregg

(08-10-2010, 07:54am)Mono Wrote: TTS ( uk ) now includes a intercooler with their kit " rotrex "
Richard from TTS says 250 without intercooler 300+ with , remember anything to do with air compression means heat so an intercooler is realy a must.
Ps no room on a b-king for a intercooler Very Happy
http://www.rotrexsuperchargers.co.uk/Rot...abusa.html
Your all nuts - every one of yez. I'm flat out handling the power of the missus's new dildo let alone a bike with those sorts of numbers.

Hats of tho, your balls are bigger than mine! Make sure there is plenty of piccies to accompany this thread.

Cam
only a rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the car window...
Apologies,
DeletedWm
More than one way to skin a cat.

Apologies,
DeletedWm
I know this message is old etc etc.. but given your demand for power and the short nature of your racing track distance, While he idea of screw blowers is great i think you'd have a better response from a nitrous application.
Activated via a microswitch at W.O.T.
Nitrous systems are adjustable and can have multi-staging injections to suit your tracks and so on - cost would most likey be way lower than any installed blower assembly with lower ongoing maintinace costs.
My 2 Cents