Copped a speeding fine yesterday - in the car
Was out & about looking at potential property for sale up between Samford & Dayboro.
Country road. No houses, no street lighting. Just trees & scrub.

Came out of a side street onto the main road & turned left. When I stopped at the intersection, I looked right for on-coming traffic. About 300m to my right I saw a 1ooklm sign on the other side of the road. No signs in my direction so assumed it was 100klm limit.

Down the road a bit & see a cop car on the side. Kept cruising, wasn't speeding. Was right on 100klm/hr.
4klm down the road he pulls me up & books me for 20klm over. Seems I was in a 80klm zone. He said there was a sign just before he clocked me.

After receiving the ticket I went back & looked. Sure enough there WAS a sign. But it was BEFORE I turned onto the road. It was up the road the 100k sign that I could see.

In the photo below.
1) I turned left out of the side street just behind the car.
2) In the distance up the straight road behind the car you can see the 100klm sign for traffic going in the other direction.
3) You can also just make out a diamond shape sign on my side of the road which is a warning sign for the intersection that I am at.
4) the 80klm sign is (looking from my position) obscured by the diamond shape sign.

Took photos, marked up a map & writing a letter. Should get off. We'll see.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(26-07-2010, 12:45pm)Louwai Wrote: Was out & about looking at potential property for sale up between Samford & Dayboro.
Country road. No houses, no street lighting. Just trees & scrub.

Came out of a side street onto the main road & turned left. When I stopped at the intersection, I looked right for on-coming traffic. About 300m to my right I saw a 1ooklm sign on the other side of the road. No signs in my direction so assumed it was 100klm limit.

Down the road a bit & see a cop car on the side. Kept cruising, wasn't speeding. Was right on 100klm/hr.
4klm down the road he pulls me up & books me for 20klm over. Seems I was in a 80klm zone. He said there was a sign just before he clocked me.

After receiving the ticket I went back & looked. Sure enough there WAS a sign. But it was BEFORE I turned onto the road. It was up the road the 100k sign that I could see.

In the photo below.
1) I turned left out of the side street just behind the car.
2) In the distance up the straight road behind the car you can see the 100klm sign for traffic going in the other direction.
3) You can also just make out a diamond shape sign on my side of the road which is a warning sign for the intersection that I am at.
4) the 80klm sign is (looking from my position) obscured by the diamond shape sign.

Took photos, marked up a map & writing a letter. Should get off. We'll see.
Good luck ,but i think they are going to say ,the limit is 80 km/hr unless otherwise indicated, so you should only be doing 80 in the area.

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Good luck with that one . 20 k over is 4 points and big bucks too.
what was the limit on the road you turned out of>

if it was 80 i don't recon you'll be able to argue
if it was less think yourself lucky i recon

i usually apply what ever speed limit is on the road i turn out of unless otherwise indicated or untill i see something that tells me otherwise.
(26-07-2010, 04:20pm)Pa King Wrote: Good luck with that one . 20 k over is 4 points and big bucks too.

Geez, They're tough up your way 15-29km over, 3 points here .I'D Shift .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
(26-07-2010, 04:20pm)Pa King Wrote: Good luck with that one . 20 k over is 4 points and big bucks too.

Not quite Pa.......
It's $200 & 3 points.

The Qld road rules say that in a non-built up area (no houses, infrastructure or street lights) the speed limit is 100klm/hr unless otherwise signed.
You can see by the photo that we're out in the bush.
From where I entered the road no speed sign was visible until I reached the next 80k sign 3klm down the road, so going by the std road rules, it's logical that I would have thought the limit is 100k.
The road I turned onto is 100klm/hr either side of the 80k zone.
Seems they're on a real blitz lately. Almost got done in the father-in-law's Vito van while carrying the track bike yesterday on a run to Helensvale and back. All up yesterday evening, I counted a total of 8 marked and unmarked cars (that I managed to spot).
I am sure if you fought it in court you would win.
As you stated the fact about not being in a built up area and the fact that you had not came across a speed sign stating otherwise prior to being booked!
The court should also take into consideration that you were in unfamiliar surroundings and grant you leniency, but the clincher is a non built up area.
Good Luck
Mick
(27-07-2010, 08:25am)Louwai Wrote:

Not quite Pa.......
It's $200 & 3 points.

The Qld road rules say that in a non-built up area (no houses, infrastructure or street lights) the speed limit is 100klm/hr unless otherwise signed.
You can see by the photo that we're out in the bush.
From where I entered the road no speed sign was visible until I reached the next 80k sign 3klm down the road, so going by the std road rules, it's logical that I would have thought the limit is 100k.
The road I turned onto is 100klm/hr either side of the 80k zone.
Sorry, must be more then the 20k over and it's 4 points. I got done a few years ago 62 in a 40 school zone and lost 4 points. Yes , my fault, it was 3.20 pm and I didn't realize in time as there was no lollypop lady, no kids ,and no mothers etc. What annoyed me about this one was that after the ticket was written and given to me , the cop left the site, it was after 3.30 pm and everyone could drive through at 60k. $250 then but I thought the fines had gone up.
You know it is a crying shame that here in the west home invasions and bashings in public places have increased yet the plods still manage a massive presence on the road...wouldn't be anything to do with money and politics would it?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
Best of luck in contesting think more should do this. Really can not see where you put anyone at risk.
You have nothing to lose by contesting so do it as your right.
They will let you off that no worries. If they don't, PM Gruntmax.
Chopper says - "Harden the f*** up Australia"
Yeah you should get off with those legal arguments. Unless you get one of the out of touch magistrates.... then you're stuffed! hahahaha
looking at your pict lowai ,you have bitumin all around you.they may class that as infrustructure.Country roads are gravel(also signage as in the giveway or what ever the sign is behind the car).
But I feel for you it is unfair at the lack of speed signs.

No good at getting a fine,sorry to hear.

good luck,hope you win
Fight it.

Someone should go for a drive through the melb/geelong road works. On one side of the road you will see an 80km sign, directly in line with that on the other side (both signs for same direction) you will see 100km signs. This is repeated a few times along the highway.

Do you just calculate an average and do that? haha.
[Image: bmr.gif]