Turbo / Gate questions
Hey

Read up as much as I could before posting, sorry if its been covered before, please fwd me the link.

My mate has a T3/T4 Turbo with a Trial 38mm gate on his Busa, producing 270hp. He tells me this set up was a cheap way of getting extra power.

My question is, what turbo and gate works best for higher power figures, keep in mind the bike is not a street bike so there are no restrictions on clearance etc.

is the T3/T4 turbo (say from a nissan) ok to use? is a 38mm gate to small?

Thanks
hey pop in to our introductions thread http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com/...php?fid=47 and say hi when you can please

cheers
BK
(21-08-2010, 09:29am)tassiebusa Wrote: Hey

Read up as much as I could before posting, sorry if its been covered before, please fwd me the link.

My mate has a T3/T4 Turbo with a Trial 38mm gate on his Busa, producing 270hp. He tells me this set up was a cheap way of getting extra power.

My question is, what turbo and gate works best for higher power figures, keep in mind the bike is not a street bike so there are no restrictions on clearance etc.

is the T3/T4 turbo (say from a nissan) ok to use? is a 38mm gate to small?

Thanks
Depends what boost level he is running , which t3/t4and how far he wants to go,
270 is probably around 10 psi, with the right mods and race fuel like c16 he could go to 25 or so psi before running out of the efficancy zone of his turbo , a bigger turbo like a bigger t3/t4 or gt35 would make more power at a given boost level but at a cost of more lag.
38mm wastegate is good for most turbo's , probably be getting too small if you went huge like a gt40
What supporting features like engine build , electronics & fuel system are you planing
It was just a Garret Turbo, how ever I guess power bug has bitten.

I think all he has internally is lower comp, springs and valves. thats it.

When you say it would be laggy with a gt35 (nice turbo!) what RPM would this start to spool up? the t3 kicks in around 4100rpm i think

Sorry about all the questions, Im searching every day how ever some answers are still out there!!!
Hiya,

My GT30 starts kickin in about 5000, I can only assume a 35 would be 6500 - 7000. But then when would it be running max boost??
Set on 12psi mine starts tapering off about 10500.
All I can advise is to make sure the fuel is well setup. Very expensive if it ain't!

Good luck with it!
Let us know how you're gettin on with it!

Biker
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
It's not so much when it would spool up but more the nature of it ? Would be slow to spool up and hence the lag in response time as Maj said.
Welcome to the world of R&D
Pete,

So, in theory, does this mean if I wind the boost up a coupla lbs it'll come in harder at 5000, or keep boosting until say 11000??

Ta

Biker

P.S. Can you flash a 2004 Gixxer 1k?
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
I was just given one of the T28s off a GTR skyline, before I onsell it, would it be good to start off with for a budget turbo build? or to small.... (internal gated also)

edit - its off a v spec if that helps

having a small turbo, low boost with no internal mods shouldnt cause any trouble with gearbox/clutch? im not chasing big numbers now...
(11-02-2011, 09:19am)tassiebusa Wrote: I was just given one of the T28s off a GTR skyline, before I onsell it, would it be good to start off with for a budget turbo build? or to small.... (internal gated also)

edit - its off a v spec if that helps

having a small turbo, low boost with no internal mods shouldnt cause any trouble with gearbox/clutch? im not chasing big numbers now...

You have a hell of a long way to go from a used turbo off a car to a turbo busa.
If you are fair dinkum about owning a turbo bike, you would be better off either buying one that is already done. Or buying a complete kit and installing it. People have been turboing these bikes for over 10 years now and all the r&d work has been done, use it to your advantage.
I could even be convinced to swap mine for a stocker +cash difference if you are keen.
The internal gate will need work to reduce boost creep, not that familiar with V spec is it the garrett t28 or as the name suggests Nissan v16 type the v16 is a small t28 probably close to a t25 , i used one on my first 750 then went bigger
VL type t3,badged as a Nissan is the same turbo as the early busa turbo kits were released with is a good option

Small turbo or bigger does not usually change the cost of the kit much , the important bits are the engine management and general setup , let downs in this area cost LOTS