Full Throttle Advice Please
Like any new bike, I want to know the limitations and abilities so I can ride safely. Emergency stops are easily done, but is there a safe gear or speed that I can fully throttle my Busa in (in a straight line), that won't leave me wheeling or sitting on the tarmac? Having a 250 before this, I dare not do it without advice as I'm already hanging on at quarter throttle (2nd gear), lol.
Given good traction, I reckon 2nd gear. Just keep your weight forward.
It's all about trial end error. Try it in 4th, then 3rd, then 2nd.

I had a '99 years ago, I geared it down (16 instead of 17 tooth front), a mate with a new '03 model asked me "how do you keep the front on the ground?" I didn't have a problem with it at all. Just different riding styles!

More bum in seat will give more experience!!

Have fun, stay safe! Biker
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
Scary 250cc to a BUSA! that's a huge jump.... Scary
I thought I had my hands full when I went from a Katana 1100 to my Busa! Lol3

Like PostmanPete said "keep your weight forward" also don't snap on the throttle, you want smooth "roll-on" throttle control, don't worry even normal riding you can find yourself sitting on $2.60 without even trying.... It is a Busa after all!

IMHO I reckon a person should work their way up to a bigger bike! I'm sure many others will agree that the Busa isn't "just a bike".... It's a high performance power-house that will bite very very hard if it isn't treated with the upmost respect.

That said, I don't know your riding experience/style but if you gradually work your way to getting to know your Busa, in about a year or so you should be able to redline it in every gear.... And yes the front wheel WILL come up through all the gears, but that's half the fun! Very Happy

Stay Upright Coolsmiley

Bazz.
[Image: hayabusa-5.jpg] [Image: HayabusaLogo-Grey.gif]
Thanks guys. I think I'll safely start at the fourth gear....
Yes, I am a fairly good rider and experienced on the road.
But that said, yes it is a huge jump from 250cc. Knowing the mistakes I've made earlier on on the smaller bikes has taught me to treat this bike with respect. I bought this as my dream bike as the opportunity presented itself, and not so I can race it around town or test the 200mph limit.
Which is why I I'm asking these silly questions. I'm hoping to learn from other people's mistakes with this one, because I know my new baby won't be giving me a second chance!
Just learn the characteristics of the Busa, build up to it. Going from a 2-fitty to a Busa, you'll probably find the need to change your riding style a little. Be patient, be careful, but have fun too!!
(25-09-2010, 10:00am)Tcrosses Wrote: ...is there a safe gear or speed that I can fully throttle my Busa in (in a straight line), that won't leave me wheeling or sitting on the tarmac?

Try Neutral Pi_tongue

Just take it easy, consider the advice the others have already given and you'll be fine.
(25-09-2010, 02:01pm)Tcrosses Wrote: Thanks guys. I think I'll safely start at the fourth gear....
Yes, I am a fairly good rider and experienced on the road.
But that said, yes it is a huge jump from 250cc. Knowing the mistakes I've made earlier on on the smaller bikes has taught me to treat this bike with respect. I bought this as my dream bike as the opportunity presented itself, and not so I can race it around town or test the 200mph limit.
Which is why I I'm asking these silly questions. I'm hoping to learn from other people's mistakes with this one, because I know my new baby won't be giving me a second chance!

If there was any more advice i could give u... it would be. Make sure your on a stretch of road that you have checked..ie pot holes, loose gravel, little old ladies.. harley riders. Theres all types of vermin on the roads these days. Keep it safe if you know what i mean.. The gear id recomend,, Assuming.. your skills are above average. would be 3rd.. just open it up and hang on.. OBVIOUSLY make sure the stretch of tarmac is long enough, because youll need time to stop.. and from around the 230klm mark... you will probably get there faster than you can get back.. And Yibbidy Yibbida thats all folks... Hoo-roo from the guru. lol
(25-09-2010, 02:01pm)Tcrosses Wrote: Which is why I I'm asking these silly questions. I'm hoping to learn from other people's mistakes with this one, because I know my new baby won't be giving me a second chance!

The throttle won't be your real concern. Just remember it's a bigger heavier bike and the speed can be deceptive. It's not going to duck or weave like a 250 does even when tweaked. Keep in that in mind, and you'll avoid the most common mistake newbies make on the 'busa.
For the original question, you can safely accelerate in ANY gear with FULL throttle if you're smooth enough with your wrist.

Ironically, if you want to be able to REALLY launch your bike without a wheelie, you need to learn to wheelie :)

Personally I don't do it - too much to risk even if I don't stack it, I could damage my favourite toy.

But if I had the balls...I'd learn to wheelie, so I can avoid them, and so they don't shock me if they happen accidentally.
just make sure you have plenty of points left,Lol3
born to be mild
Gently Bentley is the go.......you got plenty of time BikerBikerBiker
If it doesn't feel good........Your doing it wrong !!!
Give it heaps in all gears if you got the strength to hang on, just be sensible with the throttle down low.

I fang mine out to redline 1st & 2nd frequently (on my private road) & there is no problem with lifting or flipping.
I am 120kg+ tho Fatman

Also the power of the busa is not really an issue as you should adjust to that quickly but actual bike experience is the key factor to safe riding IMHO

I reckon anyone could damage themself on a two fiddy just as well as they could on a Busa - just happens a bit faster Lol2
Isn't it Ironic that my Favourite Stretch of Tarmac is called C.O.P. Eek
If you have come from a 250...then take it EASY. The Bus is BIG, HEAVY and POWERFUL as you have do doubt found out.

Pick the time and place, as others have said. And gently does it.

Otherwise you will be on your arse, or in the shrubbery.
Mate, the comments above ring out so true.

I jumped from a 660 motard (not quite a 250 i know) straight to the Busa and for the first few weeks I shat manhole lids daily. Its a HUGE jump from any type of bike but I survived by using the old common sense - timed together with the thought of "f*ck that would hurt" on replay in my head.

The hardest thing I found to adjust to was the different use of muscle groups to keep her upright. It soon becomes second nature tho.

Good luck bro and keep her shiny side up.

Cam
only a rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the car window...
(27-09-2010, 07:16pm)Camikaze Wrote: Its a HUGE jump from any type of bike but I survived by using the old common sense - timed together with the thought of "f*ck that would hurt" on replay in my head.

How true. You can't really tell from the pictures, but I do have a drop mark on the right fairing from where the previous owner has dumped it or dropped it - who knows?? But I chose to not repair this, as it serves as a gentle reminder of how the bike and I can end up if I do anything hastily or stupid.
So that play's through my head each time I go to get on it.