98 Octane
Holy shit, I never noticed as much of a difference in any other vehicle I've operated than I have on the busa!

It f*&^ing FLIES with 98!!
how much per litre dearer is 98 over 95 in oz over here in n.z. its 10cents a litre dearer and is that 10 cents worth it.
SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.
(26-11-2010, 09:57am)grumpy Wrote: how much per litre dearer is 98 over 95 in oz over here in n.z. its 10cents a litre dearer and is that 10 cents worth it.

Uhm it's about that. I think it was $1.42 - which is expensive, but my justification is that my bike is my only transport.

I usually swear by 95 just because most manuals I've owned suggest it. I thought that 98 would be a waste, and I still generally think that, but not with a hayabusa.

MAN I love this bike, and I haven't even fitted my shortmeg exhaust and BMC air filter yet!
I always use the highest octane fuel the servo has. In both car & bike. The bike runs heaps better on it & in the car I get better fuel sconomy from 98 than any other.
I ws pretty interested in this debate, rang my local dyno guy and he told me stick with 95, he said he does find that 98 assists in the top end but very little. i read a performance bike mag a few moths ago which also did the dyno test and reported that there was 1-2 horsepower difference with a 1000c bike. cant notice the difference between 95-98 on my bike.
(26-11-2010, 09:57am)grumpy Wrote: how much per litre dearer is 98 over 95 in oz over here in n.z. its 10cents a litre dearer and is that 10 cents worth it.

Ours is about the same... 14-15c dearer than 91, 4c dearer than 95.
For the extra $1 over 95, I'll take 98 every time. Biker
People are like turtles....... you don't move forward unless you stick your neck out!! Boobies4
(26-11-2010, 09:32am)sutur Wrote: Holy shit, I never noticed as much of a difference in any other vehicle I've operated than I have on the busa!

Are you at sea level? Paul Very Happy.
NRMA did a very throrough study on the benefits of higher octane fuels (I think last year) and published it.
It's available online but I just cracked a beer and can't be bothered looking for it.

The Jist of it was that unless your engine is specificaly built and tuned for a higher octane fuel then don't waste your money.
They slammed the big Petrol Co's for missleading the public with false advertising and had all the info to back it up.

In the Busa however I think either 95 or 98 is both as good as each other.
For the record I have only used 98 because it's like liquid bling for my bike.
(26-11-2010, 04:33pm)BikerBoy Wrote: NRMA did a very throrough study on the benefits of higher octane fuels (I think last year) and published it.
It's available online but I just cracked a beer and can't be bothered looking for it.

The Jist of it was that unless your engine is specificaly built and tuned for a higher octane fuel then don't waste your money.
They slammed the big Petrol Co's for missleading the public with false advertising and had all the info to back it up.

In the Busa however I think either 95 or 98 is both as good as each other.
For the record I have only used 98 because it's like liquid bling for my bike.
I agree. The way I see it Compression wise the Busa is highly strung enough to warrant 98 octane at sea level. Running it in the hope that it will make more power is money wasted. PaulVery Happy.
(26-11-2010, 09:32am)sutur Wrote: Holy shit, I never noticed as much of a difference in any other vehicle I've operated than I have on the busa!

"Every application is unique, so beware of blanket statements, as many variables effect these processes" Coolsmiley
[attachment=10543]
My high compression 1441 gen2 runs sweet as on 98 but it has been tuned for it. Would you really notice the difference if it wasnt tuned for it???
Two fuels can have the same RON rating but at the same time have completely different burn characteristics. The way the fuel burns or the manner in which it burns is usually governed/ effected by the additives that the different fuel companies add to their fuel according to the lab that I have had test fuels.
What about Avgas?
I run standard 91, and my suzuki mechanic said there was no point putting anything higher in it as it won't make a noticable difference.

Used to run it in my ducati monster, but it only made a difference after they serviced it and tuned the motor while it had a full tank of 95. Main difference was better fuel consumption.
i run 95 in my busa and here in new zealand that costs $1.85pl and the 98 is about 10-12 cents a litre more i find the busa performs well on 95 so i cant see the point in paying more as we getting our a###s ripped for fuel here anyway wont run 91 because i run 1 tank of it on my M109R and it binged and rattled on that.
SPEED ISN,T EVERYTHING BUT IT SURE IS FUN.