dont trust all mechanics
Just got back from cobar, great ride till i pulled into mates motel,rear tyre blowout after doing 500 klms at hwy speeds through storms and water over road.went to the local bike shop to buy another tyre $100.00 dearer than bathurst.so i put a second hand one on (about half warn) for $40.00 a good deal.so i put one on the front to get me home.All good till i rode the bike,no front brakes the mechanic had no idea why.on the way home i noticed one front disc was not running true about 5 mil out.i would say when they changed the front tyre they must have stood on the rim to do the job.its a long way from cobar to bathurst with a wobbly disc and no front brakes.luckily ive got spare discs at home.just thought id let you know to watch them doing the job dont trust anyone unless you know them.thats my whinge for today.
I would be taking the bike back.
What probaly happened is they bent the disc in the Tire machine otherwise you should be able to kick it straight.
Too many bike shops damage bikes and get away with it!
The result would have been the same with a new tire!
(13-01-2011, 05:51pm)donovandon100 Wrote: I would be taking the bike back.
What probaly happened is they bent the disc in the Tire machine otherwise you should be able to kick it straight.
Too many bike shops damage bikes and get away with it!
The result would have been the same with a new tire!

a bloody long way to take it back i will be giving them a phone call tomorrow.will let you know what happened.
you now i dont trust what any of them say these days had a prob with my 99 one mechanic $400 full service and agust the throtel bodys ( no ) 2nd mechanic $900 power comander and a dyno ( no) 3rd mechanic wouldnt have a clue till we pull it apart so f@#k nows what that would have cost .and that was a suzuki dealer Wtf ! 5 minute talk with tex clean the little filter in the feul pump and a $22 tre cable ( job done ) thanks tex
To ride or not to ride there is no question
just curious , did you not need to use brakes from the second you left the place ? when i get anything done especially new tires - i will pump brakes before i even put into gear as i presume the tire fitter has not done it after setting calipers back to get wheel on/off - then when on the way do the usual brake test/ feel and shift left to right ( to clear tires of possible grease from wshop floor / warm up ) im sure you will do this in the future :)
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....
(14-01-2011, 08:52pm)Ozboc Wrote: just curious , did you not need to use brakes from the second you left the place ? when i get anything done especially new tires - i will pump brakes before i even put into gear as i presume the tire fitter has not done it after setting calipers back to get wheel on/off - then when on the way do the usual brake test/ feel and shift left to right ( to clear tires of possible grease from wshop floor / warm up ) im sure you will do this in the future :)

Every time i checked the brakes as i was at the workshop they would pump up and stay good when i rode it it would loose the brakes so i went back 2 times and the mechanic ckecked it over all was good till i rode it. as the disc turned it would push the pistons back i worked this out halfway home too far to go back.the mechanic had no idea he said its spot on, it was in the shop.i gave up on his so called expertise and decided to fix it myself at least i know its done.
A half decent mechanic would have taken the bike out for a spin to test it out after the job was done!!!stay away!!!
as 1300hayabusa said - they should have road tested it - i had an issue 2 years ago with a new front tyre - brand new top brand tyre - got bike back after fittment - took for run up the road - as soon as it got to 80 km + bad shake - took it back - he balanced again - all fine - took home as it was closing time at the shop - done the same on the way home - returned the following day - they balanced again and told me that if its still there then it MUST be steering head bearings. i told them its not as i had been doing freeway speeds on old tire just before i got to shop for replacement and it was smooth as. got the bike back - once again - vibration still there -- had enough so rang there head office , they asked me to come over the following day with bike - did so - there head mechanic spoke with me - asked if i mind if he took for a ride to get a feel , sure i say -- he comes back reconfirms my story - puts a new tire on - test rides again and perfect..

Moral of the story - if they had of test ridden the bike from the start i would not have lost so much time stuffing around. and me knowing MY BIKE i was not prepared to spend ubah dollars on repairs the bike didn't need when i knew it had to do with the work that had just been done.
Hayabusa , If your not on one , your behind one .....
Its hard to get good mechanics these days. I have one that i will usually only let touch my bike. Whenever i get new tyres i always ask them to scrub them in a little for me. (my preference). Unfortunately on my last visit to get the new tyres on (only a few weeks ago) some moron visiting the store next door didnt see my bike and reversed into it while at the shop getting tyres fitted. Lucky i have those unsightly but ever so handy oggy knobs on my bike. Avoided a fair bit of damage but still needs a few things repaired.
So I would suggest that if you have the time always ask the mechanic to take your bike to scrub the tyres in a little for you first. That way, like ozboc said the shop has an idea if they have done something wrong or not when fitting the tyre.
You have to do as much of your own work as possible (even within warranty, there are ways) - it'll get you knowing your bike as well. Even the best won't treat your bike better than you.
Carpe Diem!
(15-01-2011, 11:45am)Throwdown! Wrote: You have to do as much of your own work as possible (even within warranty, there are ways) - it'll get you knowing your bike as well. Even the best won't treat your bike better than you.
+1 thats the best wayPi_thumbsup
"If you're going through hell, keep going"
(15-01-2011, 11:45am)Throwdown! Wrote: You have to do as much of your own work as possible (even within warranty, there are ways) - it'll get you knowing your bike as well. Even the best won't treat your bike better than you.
Spot on mate. I spent over 2 hours fitting and balancing the front tyre so as everthing was just how I wanted. You can,t expect any shop to do that. However old mate's Cobar experience was just piss poor work. As a point of interest, the Gen 2 front rim when balanced bare was 20 grams out. Paul.
The bloke who I get my tyres off I trust. Dunno about the chimp out the back tho..............so..................when I got a new front for my K 1200S recently, I removed the discs firstPi_thumbsup
Never ride the A model of anything.
had problems with rear weel not tight it moved 4 mill it was good for 2000k then racing a mate hit it flat out of a bend i felt it move
36mil nut wtf i check now
I always remove the wheels myself...don't trust anybody!...will probably remove the discs too now!!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast