New Dyno in Perth
no just to drink
Regards

Dan
I assume its a water injection tank for cooling the intake charge at higher boost levels.
There is no strong performance without a little fanaticism in the performer
(13-04-2011, 07:58pm)Belzybob Wrote: Maybe a group outing Kev?

Yes I think that might be the case there is quite a few of us that would be interested in this here in WA, I know Camel will be stoked when he see this thread as he already knows a fair bit about re-flashing.
(15-04-2011, 04:37pm)Rev004 Wrote:
(13-04-2011, 07:58pm)Belzybob Wrote: Maybe a group outing Kev?

Yes I think that might be the case there is quite a few of us that would be interested in this here in WA, I know Camel will be stoked when he see this thread as he already knows a fair bit about re-flashing.

Mark called in the other day as he's working up here in Qld .............. helluva nice bloke I have to say. Both Brett and Mark are very thorough in what they do along with an attention to detail that many now fail to give. I reckon your in good hands and well covered over there in the land of the black swan now Pi_thumbsup

Zoro .......... Horndog is spot on . It's a water injection tank set to come on when boost pressures rise above 7 psi
Ok cool, so when it is injected is it atomised through a nozzle?
What sort of pressures would you inject water at?
Depends on the pump but something like a devilsown kit can inject through a misting nozzle at around 250psi.
Jeez 250psi, does the cylinder pressure ramp up once the water is injected?

Surprised the water doesn't try pit the top of the pistons or bend the conrods.
Dont think so although Maj would be best to answer that.

The high pressure pump is just to get good atomization of the water and cool the intake charge and prevent detonation due to the heat generated from compressing the intake air with the turbo.

My understanding is that the nozzle is placed just before the plenum or just after the turbo to get good mixing with the water (usually a water and methanol mix, not just straight water) and allow best cooling to occur.

I use a water to air intercooler with a seperate tank which I run ice and water in. It allows me to get below ambient intake temps which equals more power per pound of boost.
Guessing the amount injected under those pressures would depend on flow rates for the injection plumbing.
eg. the actual amount injected using a 1/8" line instead of a 1/4" line would be alot different from each other.

Does seem rather agricultural though but obviously works.

Thanks for the info Horndog, much appreciated.
The jet size and pressure dictate flow rates , realy good kits will vary the injected volume with load
water cleans the insides of the motor like new... basicly it controls combustion chamber temp , and its very good at controlling detonation ,
rates are dependant on the amount of air your burning and hp , the 250cc/min i'm running through my turbo 750 at hi boost would flood a non turbo busa and probably upset a low boost busa
250cc/min, damn that things got a drinking problem...didn't realise you could push that much water through an engine and still have it running let alone create HP.

Interesting info Maj, so the nozzle has a pill/ jet in it, much the same as mechanical injection on drag cars?
You mention the rate is dependant on the air you're burning and HP, does the temp rise at a linear rate as these two factors rise or is there a point where temps get out of control?
Guess what i'm trying to say is what's stopping you from turning up the boost and pouring more fuel and water into it for more power? Is it the mechanical strength of the internal parts (cylinder walls, pistons, crank, head gasket, conrods) or the inability to remove the heat from the scenario?

Sorry for the 20 questions but i'm not up to speed with turbo's.
your pretty much on the money,
Like Horndog i'm running a ice tank and water/air intercooler but even that was not enough to control cyl temps on the long track at Bonneville , had a number of what i call "plazma events" and like your comment, its a result of turning up the boost adding more fuel , and even with relatively rich mixtures and reduced spark timing that tested fine in shorter runs still developed problems on long runs, like 1min + at wot and 30 psi boost in top gear , cut exhaust valve heads in half,trenched the head,several times ... just like an angle grinder would do but with smooth edges ... so i started adding water , and fixed the prob , , i would say this was temps out of control ...
Interesting was the bike i share with a mate in California, he was riding and had a "plazma event" cut through the top of the piston, through the skirt and trenched the cy, more like a laser yet it had very little smear or signs this took more than a part of a single revolution to do the damage at more than 10k rpm (166 rpm/sec)
now to turn up the boost more ;), expect my next probs to be mechanical strength , clutch probably i'm pushing a lot of hp through a clutch that needs a superman grip to use & needs external bracing to keep from cracking the cases .
"Plazma event" that's a new one..lol.

Got any pics of the torched parts Maj?
[Image: farmpics001.jpg]
That's nasty, is it repairable?
Do you use copper head gaskets, i see the head has been machined for orings or is that standard issue?