Lane splitting thoughts?
Today i witnessed 2 of the stupid acts of lane splitting ever both of which occured on the freeway ( or start of).

First one was on the way to work this morning, a guy on an older model Suzuki 1100? was weaving in an out of traffic in the 110km zone. When he couldnt get past in the right lane he jams on the brakes, flies in behind the car in the left and then rides down the emergency lane.

Second was coming home, just before the start of the freeway, a guy on a naked something flies up between the cars with barely enuf room to fit the bike, cuts in front of the car in front of me and almost had to crouch to get under the truck trailer in front and along the side.

What the hell, is it really that important to be in front?

I decided years ago not to lane split after seeing a guy total his new GSX600r coz a 4wd flipped a uuey in front of him while he was lane splitting. When i helped him off the road he explained he had only just bought the bike that day. Not only was it totalled, he busted his leg and he didnt want his missus to know cause it had happened before.Pi_freak

Maybe i'm just a pussy on the road but i'm really not in that big of a hurry.

Whats other peoples opinions?
(17-05-2011, 07:13pm)hendrixhc Wrote: Today i witnessed 2 of the stupid acts of lane splitting ever both of which occured on the freeway ( or start of).

First one was on the way to work this morning, a guy on an older model Suzuki 1100? was weaving in an out of traffic in the 110km zone. When he couldnt get past in the right lane he jams on the brakes, flies in behind the car in the left and then rides down the emergency lane.

Second was coming home, just before the start of the freeway, a guy on a naked something flies up between the cars with barely enuf room to fit the bike, cuts in front of the car in front of me and almost had to crouch to get under the truck trailer in front and along the side.

What the hell, is it really that important to be in front?

I decided years ago not to lane split after seeing a guy total his new GSX600r coz a 4wd flipped a uuey in front of him while he was lane splitting. When i helped him off the road he explained he had only just bought the bike that day. Not only was it totalled, he busted his leg and he didnt want his missus to know cause it had happened before.Pi_freak

Maybe i'm just a pussy on the road but i'm really not in that big of a hurry.

Whats other peoples opinions?

I'm with you mate, Whats the rush.

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Want say i have not done it but im selective where and only at low speeds most of the time in built up trafic at lights
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
Yeah I do it fairly regularly. However only at slow stop start speeds purely because after about 5 min of doing that my left hand just about fails from pulling the clutch in repeatedly.

If I do go up the side I always giveyself plenty of room and would only be doing 15kph or so.

The only other time would be at the lights I will move up the front (as every biker does just about, again if there isn't enough room I don't bother and if I do it is very slowly)
I do it as part of the daily commute. Some day's fast, some days slow depending on how switched on I feel.

I guess it comes down to what level of risk you feel comfortable with. How much riskier is it to split at 40km/h vs 20km/h? or 60 vs 40? Up to each person to decide.

Prefer to split and keep my eyes open that wait for someone to rear end me in a multi car pile up. Which seems to happen about once a month on the freeway.

(17-05-2011, 09:52pm)aussiemonster Wrote: I do it as part of the daily commute. Some day's fast, some days slow depending on how switched on I feel.

I guess it comes down to what level of risk you feel comfortable with. How much riskier is it to split at 40km/h vs 20km/h? or 60 vs 40? Up to each person to decide.

Prefer to split and keep my eyes open that wait for someone to rear end me in a multi car pile up. Which seems to happen about once a month on the freeway.
Same for me

Can't see the point of riding a bike without splitting the lane to the front at traffic lights if in the mood. With the following rules, Only if there is room, indicate all lane changes, only if the traffic is stopped at least in one lane and stop start slow in the other, no crossing unbroken white lines and rejoin the lane immediately it starts to move.
Lane splitting in motion is a natural skill you learn in 3rd world. But riding like a 'A' hole is personal choice.
I do enjoy lane splitting and can do it better then most 600 cc riders but I don't ride like a 'A' hole.

I have seen scooters lane split - crap
Well in the current AMCN magazine Vol 60 #22 page 14 they say that Lane splitting is being legalised in NSW.
The motorcycle council of NSW has 5 locations in sydney metro that is under trial.

On the M4 yesterday 3 lanes east bound were blocked for a small bingle and 5+ Km of carpark traffic was jaming everything up at 7am and what a better way to spend highway patrol time than sitting hidden and pulling over every bike that rides up the breakdown lanes. I felt anoyed myself and I wasn't even on a bike, the cops would step out and direct them to pull over and they had no where to go stationary traffic one side armco rail on the other no room to turn around. I was supprised how many they rode up the side only to become trapped.

Maybe if they legalise it this wont be a problem or if it will be very limited rules to the allowable lane-split ?
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
Lane splitting overseas has been part of normal riding for years and it works cause people know how to use the system,it has nothing to do with getting there early or quicker in my books its more of why the fcuk would you want to sit and inhale all sorts of gasses through your helmet......not me !!!
I lane split but at low speeds and mostly when all the traffic is at a standstill. Having started riding in the UK where the traffic is even worse than here it is the standard practice...only dimwits do it at breakneck speed and are a menace to us too!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
(18-05-2011, 11:22am)Aussie Steve Wrote: I lane split but at low speeds and mostly when all the traffic is at a standstill. Having started riding in the UK where the traffic is even worse than here it is the standard practice...only dimwits do it at breakneck speed and are a menace to us too!

Used to do it all the time in the Sydney traffic. But yes, only with stopped traffic or really slow. You should never trust those tin tops, and have even had them swerve at me when they see me coming up from behind.
At speed is just looking for trouble.
(18-05-2011, 03:05am)Bizket Wrote: Well in the current AMCN magazine Vol 60 #22 page 14 they say that Lane splitting is being legalised in NSW.
The motorcycle council of NSW has 5 locations in sydney metro that is under trial.

On the M4 yesterday 3 lanes east bound were blocked for a small bingle and 5+ Km of carpark traffic was jaming everything up at 7am and what a better way to spend highway patrol time than sitting hidden and pulling over every bike that rides up the breakdown lanes. I felt anoyed myself and I wasn't even on a bike, the cops would step out and direct them to pull over and they had no where to go stationary traffic one side armco rail on the other no room to turn around. I was supprised how many they rode up the side only to become trapped.

Maybe if they legalise it this wont be a problem or if it will be very limited rules to the allowable lane-split ?

I have had this happen to me on the F3. The cop gave me a lecture about how dangerous it was, gave me a ticket and asked if I would do it again. I said of course, it isn't dangerous if you keep a lookout for idiots, and police, the fine was less than a parking ticket (then) and it would save me a least an hour of being stuck in the traffic. - His body language showed that he secretly agreed.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(17-05-2011, 08:56pm)ROD Wrote: Want say i have not done it but im selective where and only at low speeds most of the time in built up trafic at lights

+1 Pi_thumbsup
Isn't that one of many advantages of riding a bike to be able to go through a lines of cars? Just about everybody I see does it on lights and in slow traffic. In the "normal" traffic there should really be no need for it.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
I can honestly say that I dont do it. I guess I am paranoid about car drivers pricking it out. I will however take on the left lane at lights where they merge into one lane cause I know the busa will leave everyone else behind.