Gen I Rebuild - Big End Failure
Probably due to oil availability at the pickup ,
bikes don't see sideways g force .
gearbox holds a lot of oil
and the head holds a lot of oil,
add in windage
ever watch the oil level drop below the sight glass on a dyno ??
i would get a dry sump...
gen 2 bearings are fully grooved , i would use them but not go too tight on a race only engine
Wow that is some severe damage...those big ends look terrible and damage to the oil pump speaks volumes for the filter hey??
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
The filter is after the pump.
Thanks for all the pics Camel, keep us updated.
I pity the fool who goes out tryin' a' take over da world, then runs home cryin' to his momma!
(12-07-2011, 03:47am)Camel Wrote: Fit a dry sump oil system.

(12-07-2011, 08:44am)Maj Wrote: i would get a dry sump...

Been looking into this for the last week or so

Any one want to recomend any particular type/model ?
Best Place to purchase from ?

Ypou say one of the options is to "Fit high volume oil pump drive gear"

Where do you get an animal like that please?
Good weather, good woman, good road, good bike, good-bye!!
(12-07-2011, 07:56pm)Madmax Wrote: Ypou say one of the options is to "Fit high volume oil pump drive gear"

Here mate

http://www.hayabusazone.com/pumpgear.html
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
(12-07-2011, 08:49pm)Shifu Wrote:
(12-07-2011, 07:56pm)Madmax Wrote: Ypou say one of the options is to "Fit high volume oil pump drive gear"

Here mate

http://www.hayabusazone.com/pumpgear.html
I will certainly be putting one of those in next time I have the donk out!

Thanks Shifu

Got 1 here Max virtually brand new in packet, let me know if you want it.

Leonard.
Camel ya fish head eater ............... no wonder your wife gets pissed with you .................. bet she can never find the glad bags to put the kids lunch's in Lol2
As for the sack ...................... so no more "Halo" to drive around under hey ? Coolsmiley and next time get a job where you can at least change your own tyres Lol3
As for the motor ..................... yuk
Got the disc you sent also mate many thanks for that .................... and owe you a beer or three Pi_thumbsup
Let me know when your heading east again.
Cheers
Hi Pete,

I responded to your post but it seems to have disappeared into the cyber-ether. You had me wondering how you knew about the missus getting mad at me for using all the glad-bags!

On another point, Maj, you said that the Gen II bearings are fully grooved. Do you mean that the oil holes in the Gen II main shells are elongated as opposed to circular in the Gen I's? Because they've both got the full groove running around the inner circumference.

Camel
In terms of a suitable dry sump arrangement, I've fitted a SBD kit to an '06 in the past. Beautifully crafted, bit expensive though. Also requires replacement of the water pump with an electrical jobbie so you can fit the SBD oil pump.

Should be able to source pumps locally and build a one-off kit. We've got a network of very talented machinists over this way, trouble is getting them to do it, seems everyone over here has left their real jobs to drive trucks at the mines.

[Image: Complete_002.jpg]

[Image: Dry_sump_005.jpg]

Camel
In terms of a suitable dry sump arrangement, I've fitted a SBD kit to an '06 in the past. Beautifully crafted, bit expensive though. Also requires replacement of the water pump with an electrical jobbie so you can fit the SBD oil pump.

Should be able to source pumps locally and build a one-off kit. We've got a network of very talented machinists over this way, trouble is getting them to do it, seems everyone over here has left their real jobs to drive trucks at the mines.

[Image: Complete_002.jpg]

[Image: Dry_sump_005.jpg]

Camel
Camel give the Halo type jobs the ass mate .................. the industry needs you. Given the slap happy type work that comes out of most shops .................. well done indeed sir Pi_thumbsup
Give us a buzz asap ......................... secret mens business Knuppel2
A very big difference on those cranks....Suckzuki must have suspected something could be amiss when they decided to do all that extra engineering.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
Good write up & pics Camel.....very interesting read.