radiator fan not working
The radiator fan isn't working on my 06 busa.

The temp gauge is working fine, but the fan isn't kicking in when the gauge gets hot sitting in traffic.

What I don't know is if the fan switch works off the temp gauge or off another sensor.

Is there an easy way to tell if it is the fan or the thermo switch which isn't working?
(07-10-2011, 09:14pm)aussiemonster Wrote: The radiator fan isn't working on my 06 busa.

The temp gauge is working fine, but the fan isn't kicking in when the gauge gets hot sitting in traffic.

What I don't know is if the fan switch works off the temp gauge or off another sensor.

Is there an easy way to tell if it is the fan or the thermo switch which isn't working?

The attached diagram from the service manual may help in tracing the problem. Maybe first try and power the fan up from a 12V source?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Government certified carpet muncherDrool
Checked the fuse ? I think there's one .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
Haven't heard of this problem in ages, but do remember reading on boards that it is usually the switch that (I think) is actually attached to the radiator (low down on the left?!??).

Let us know,
Carpe Diem!
This is the operation for a K8 upwards but it will be similar for a 06, if not let me know if your bike is similar to the earlier 99 models and i can talk you through that system also (it has less bits and does not use the ECU.

Yes there is a fuse, it is a 15A, located to the side of the main fuse area. The ECT (temp sensor in the engine block) sends a signal (resistance Ohms) to the ECM (brain box) This signal also ends up at your temp gauge after some minor adjustments (calibrated).
When the brain box senses that the ECT is at 100 degrees C, it sends a small signal (voltage) to the cooling fan relay turning it on. This relay feeds power (current Amps) to the fan motors and they then commence operation.

Fault finding is simple after you ascertain if the fuse is ok, start backwards from the fault with a 12v test light (at the fan connector)

1.Disconnect the fans and get the bike up to fan temp.
2. If the test light works at the fanconnector, you have dodgy fans or a connection at the fans.
3. If the test light doesn't work then move backwards through the system to check the relay.
4. If the fuse is blown replace it and same process applys, disconnect the fans, as one or both of them may have caused the fuse to overload (blow).

Hope this helps or if you need a wiring diagram there are someon this forum and I have one as well.
Cheers James Australia2
If you have aftermarket pipes fitted check than fan blade tips have not melted and plastic welded themselves to their frame. Common Prob
If you pop the connector off the fan switch at the left inner radiator , and bridge the 2 wires with a stripped end piece if electrical wire or paperclip, (careful this is live with key on), then key on you should have the fan on, if not as mentioned above check the fuse then give the fan a flick and see if it turns , if you have a blown fuse, still give the fan a flick, as Pete said the blades melt and stop movement,
Aluminium blades are available to fix this or just trim the drip and good to go
(08-10-2011, 10:19am)Maj Wrote: If you pop the connector off the fan switch at the left inner radiator , and bridge the 2 wires with a stripped end piece if electrical wire or paperclip, (careful this is live with key on), then key on you should have the fan on, if not as mentioned above check the fuse then give the fan a flick and see if it turns , if you have a blown fuse, still give the fan a flick, as Pete said the blades melt and stop movement,
Aluminium blades are available to fix this or just trim the drip and good to go

Maj, I have seen Muzzy allu blades, not cheap as their shipping is excessive.Is there any other brand out there worth looking at. I did a quick google search, found only the muzzy and a replacement non allu fan unit that suits several bikes.

Maj, I have seen Muzzy allu blades, not cheap as their shipping is excessive.Is there any other brand out there worth looking at. I did a quick google search, found only the muzzy and a replacement non allu fan unit that suits several bikes.
[/quote]

Have a set of Muzzy blades for 08 New if wanted $130 posted
Cheers
I don't think the melted fan blades are as common as first spouted in the early days.
I've got a Muzzy aluminum fan and never used it - the blade has just been a decoration on my wall for 6 years. Lol3

Go down to the wreckers and replace that switch at the radiator - might save you some time for a couple of bucks.
Carpe Diem!
Myself & 3 other busa blokes here in SA have had melted fan blades & replaced with muzzy's . If your sitting at a red light in 43 degree ambient temp,The plastic one's won't cut it . Does not get that hot in Japan ,Thats also why many jap import cars have cooling problem's . May be OK in Tassie as it's alway's cold there .I didn't believe carbon busa when he told me it would happen ,but as al way's He was right .

If Wisdom Comes with Age , I'm one of the Smartest Blokes Here
I had this problem with my 04. Basically the thermostat isn't turning on and needs to be forced.mine was brand new when it did this so I just took it back to the shop. Follow the others advice by checking your fan still works but it sounds just like a switch issue. Good luck....
My plastic fan melted too!
Do like Maj says... one step at a time before yo u go replacing stuff... (though the Muzzy fan is a good thing to do either way)
Hi all,

Thanks for the great info.

Checked the fuse and it's ok, fan spins ok too.

Put some wire in the fan switch connector and the fans turns on. So it's the switch that's stuffed.

Will get it into the bike shop this week to get it fixed so I'll be ready to go to Phillip Island this coming weekend. Don't want to be stuck in the post MotoGp traffic without a cooling fan!

Cheers all for you help.Clap
Pi_thumbsupBiker

(09-10-2011, 09:20pm)aussiemonster Wrote: Hi all,

Thanks for the great info.

Checked the fuse and it's ok, fan spins ok too.

Put some wire in the fan switch connector and the fans turns on. So it's the switch that's stuffed.

Will get it into the bike shop this week to get it fixed so I'll be ready to go to Phillip Island this coming weekend. Don't want to be stuck in the post MotoGp traffic without a cooling fan!

Cheers all for you help.Clap

Cheers James Australia2