slight chain noise
just put a new RK chain on the busa, didnt need to change the sprockets because they were in good nick at 13000ks
Im no expert and i could be over reacting when i think i can hear the chain slightly, it is only when i back off the accelerator and going under 80klm/h. its barley noticable, i was wondering if some chain noise is acceptable?
(01-11-2011, 07:45pm)Lightfighter Wrote: just put a new RK chain on the busa, didnt need to change the sprockets because they were in good nick at 13000ks
Im no expert and i could be over reacting when i think i can hear the chain slightly, it is only when i back off the accelerator and going under 80klm/h. its barley noticable, i was wondering if some chain noise is acceptable?
Did you put a after market sprocket on the front by any chance

(01-11-2011, 07:58pm)simmo Wrote:
(01-11-2011, 07:45pm)Lightfighter Wrote: just put a new RK chain on the busa, didnt need to change the sprockets because they were in good nick at 13000ks
Did you put a after market sprocket on the front by any chance

no i didnt change it and it looks stock... the teeth were all even and in good condition... i had to give it a good clean and degrease though from a excessive use of chain lube from the previous owner.Pi_thumbsup
I would've replaced the sprockets anyway....noise could be from some existing wear on the sprockets not necessarily visible to the naked eye as the new chain beds into them. (I'm just guessing....someone with knowledge can confirm this or not).

Double check that the chain is adjusted to specifications don't go by the marks on the adjuster's a couple of mm out there at the rear could be quite a few at the front alway's measure to make sure the wheel and chain are in alignment.

At first guess it sounds more like too loose or out of alignment but it's only a guess.

I alway's change the sprocket's when I change a chain not alway's necessary but a good habit to get into.

Don't use chain lube use gear oil or get a scottoiler and your chains will last longer.

Hope it helps

Jim
yeah i might double check the wheel alignment. i didnt measure it i just used the marks near the axel then stood back and looked down the chain to see if its straight.

to check alignment do you measure from swingarm pivet to axel on both sides?

the service manual said 20 to 30mm play on the chain im pretty sure ive got that. might pay to get the ruler out.

the chain i got was covered in that white chain lube out of the packet. its already flicked off around the sprocket cover.

i also read in the service manual to use a heavy motor oil on the chain. not a commercially available chain lube.

ill be definatley changing the sprockets next time with a new chain. like you said ive read its not always necessary.

thanks for the help.