Short storage checklist
My bikes' had no real action for about 2.5 months, maybe one more month to go.

I've read to change the fuel out completely. The tank is 90% full, not going to do that, even if I knew how. I'd run it on idle for a few hours but I'm sure it would just overheat or destroy the battery from fan use.
Been told to change the oil too, please confirm is this necessary for 3 months of storage?
Check tires for hardness/ flat spots.
Check chain for tension/damage.
Anything else?
For three months storage all you'd need to really do is leave it on a battery tender. No harm in changing the oil though before you're riding again.
I had my GenII off the road for 16 months. All I did was keep the battery charged, changed the oil every 6 months, did full fluids and filter at 12 months and started it up for 20/30min every other week. Fuel and oil should be good for around 6 months before it starts going off, but make sure your battery is charged up.

If you can cycle through the gears on a stand etc.. it would be of benefit, as I did have my clutch play up a little bit,
but even then it wasn't until around the 8 to 10 month mark.
Thank you. I thought it might be a bit premature to be swapping & draining fluids for only 3 months of storage. Tempted to ride in spite of medical advice. WTF is the point in living if there's no joy in it?
I have had my Bike in Storage for 12 months Jump started and away i went it was close to full tank of fuel Pi_thumbsup
[Image: Resizeofbusa005.jpg] REGARDS ROD
MOBILE 0433 92 99 22
kangaroos1996@msn.com
i'd cover the tyres to protect from UV (blueing) with some sort of cloth (dont wrap them as moisture isnt the greatest either, keep it on paddock stands and thats about it. More than 6 months i would change the fuel (or leave it just dont flog it as the fuel will well and truely be off), as for the oil, probably cheap insurance to chuck a freash batch in and still run the same filter, but in saying that i cant see what would be wrong with it after just sitting in a motor for a few months...... (as in whats the difference between sitting in a motor or sitting in a bottle in a warehouse for 6 months before you buy it?)

Main thing i would be worried about is the tyres going hard.
(14-11-2011, 05:03pm)RyanG Wrote: i'd cover the tyres to protect from UV (blueing) with some sort of cloth (dont wrap them as moisture isnt the greatest either, keep it on paddock stands and thats about it. More than 6 months i would change the fuel (or leave it just dont flog it as the fuel will well and truely be off), as for the oil, probably cheap insurance to chuck a freash batch in and still run the same filter, but in saying that i cant see what would be wrong with it after just sitting in a motor for a few months...... (as in whats the difference between sitting in a motor or sitting in a bottle in a warehouse for 6 months before you buy it?)

Main thing i would be worried about is the tyres going hard.

Ryan, I beleive the oil degredation comes from oxidation, hence why majority of the vehicle manufacturers want the oil changed every 10K or 6 months. This is what they told us when i did my apprenticeship some 20 odd years ago. I think this is one of the qualities of synthetic oil, it doesn't degrade.

Regarding that fuel and oil "going off". I had petrol in a jerry cans for over 5 years - left over from the time when I was driving a pertol car. When I got my bike I just pour it in. All was working fine - no dramas with starting or idling or anything. Providing that the container is full and sealed, the gasolene can be stored for years without any degradation. The problem is only an evaporation of the more volatile comonents of it and the oxidation when freely exposed to air. So keep your tank full (you can tape over the veting hole in a cap) and you will have no problems.
If the oil has been run in the engine for a very long time it will become slightly acidic, so perhaps you should change it before hand if you planning to store the bike for a long time - potential corrosion issue. If the oil is reasonably new (and syntethic at that) you do not need to worry about it. Still good idea to start it every now and then to get the clutch lubricated and evaporate the condensed water. Happy storing Pi_thumbsup
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
3 months isn't storage. It's just a few drinks between rides. My bikes often sits for 3 months without being ridden over winter. Full tank of fuel, intelligent trickle charger on, under a cozy blanket.
All ready for spring. Pi_thumbsup
But my practice is to replace the oil before any big rides. New Oil is cheap insurance.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .