fuel filter
quick question, done alot of searching and only found old threads, was in at my suzuki dealer today getting some oil and other things for a very much needed busa birthday, i asked the guy about a feul filter, he tells me there isnt one, now i know there is, BUT is there any way of cleaning the current one out just for the time being?? just untill i get a new one, the bike sat for 7 odd months with fuel in it, and i fear it may have started to go bad

oh and pete, if ya read this, ill call back as soon as im back in reception, hopefully tomorow arvo :)

all help greatly appreciated guys cheers, ash :)
From what I understand it's just a fine mesh in the pump. When I rebuilt my 14 the tank needed repairing and while I had the pump out asked mech if there was a filter in it that I should replace since it was apart. He said not to worry about it as they don't block like normal filters. And I really doubt that stale fuel would do a thing to it. Fresh fuel would desolve any gum one would think...
No probs Ash and sorry I couldn't chat the other night Pi_thumbsup
The filter is the black plastic bit around the pump, there is a strainer pre pump too
you can remove the filter and back flush it for a slight improvement in life , i fill it with fuel and with fingers over the outlets, shake the shit out of it , then tip out the fuel through the inlet, 10 or 12 times will still see mud coming out
and they still block quickly after ,
also as the regulator is after the filter the pump has to work overtime to have the regulator at the required 3 bar , sometimes taking 3.5-4 bar at the pump outlet to get the 3 bar at reg, so the pump wears out quickly from that point
if your seeing a lack of performance its probably very late in the life of your pump and filter and should be planning a replacement
(12-01-2012, 07:09am)Maj Wrote: The filter is the black plastic bit around the pump, there is a strainer pre pump too
you can remove the filter and back flush it for a slight improvement in life , i fill it with fuel and with fingers over the outlets, shake the shit out of it , then tip out the fuel through the inlet, 10 or 12 times will still see mud coming out
and they still block quickly after ,
also as the regulator is after the filter the pump has to work overtime to have the regulator at the required 3 bar , sometimes taking 3.5-4 bar at the pump outlet to get the 3 bar at reg, so the pump wears out quickly from that point
if your seeing a lack of performance its probably very late in the life of your pump and filter and should be planning a replacement
So what is the best way to totally remove the filter material from the guts of the black plastic housing on the side of the in-tank fuel pump???
Drill a hole, pull the filter material out with a piece of wire, then bung a 1/8" npt plug in the hole ? ???
What year?

The 99 & '00 had one type. Then it changed in '01.
(12-01-2012, 04:14pm)pashnit Wrote: What year?
2004 to 2012
cheers for the ideas guys, i was hoping to get away with it for a short while, will see what i can do, and its an 05 :)
Have a schematic of it for you if that helps at all:
http://www.motorcyclegoodies.com/fiche_s...fveh=10155.

Looks like the 04 and 05 share this diagram.
[Image: top-logo.png]
.....& this has got to be better than a 255 l/hr in tank Chinese Walbro with hacksaw modified in-tank pump mount;
http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027/11142/10002/-1

They send by FedEx so you don't have to wait until x-mas.

Do not try this at home Coolsmiley
Geez that fuel filter is expensive, $330 is a lot of VB! When I had my other bike I did a lot of country trips fuelling up at outback servos and when the pump was stripped at 25,000kms it was filth, there were rusted bits of metal stuck to the strainer and I backflushed the filter/pump, what a mess, black gunk everywhere. Does anyone here have one of those portable fuel strainer funnels and do they work, as in collecting gunk qnd themselve blocking up when fuelling. Might save my filter and aviod a blockage out in the sticks.
Just had my bike serviced @ 133,000 k's

Damien at raceway cleaned & scrubbed my fuel filter
Wire strainer ,to abit better Than it was

He said its like a gumy mud laquer that builds
Up on the gauze wire strainer, mine was
More like a solid sheit

He said it was due to fillin up on 98ron octane
Having it sit in the tank,I'll evaporate quicker

Than 95ron octane,mix up your fuel,91-95- only
Use 98ron octane if its not sittin, like out on a
Spirited ride.

So I should be able to keep in front of beau &
U lot when we're out playin the country roads
The strainer is only the outside piece that stops the pump picking up big pieces of rubbish that could stall the pump and leave you stuck with no warning, the real problem is the fine filter, just think if the coarse gauze is blocked just what is going on in the fine paper filter ???
Mines a '99 - so very different, ....but
because the 1st ones were very prone to blockages, I eventually got the shits with it and tore all the screens out, and took out the internal paper filter and threw it away. I then put a small $5.00 inline filter in the line. Change it every couple of services, simple to do, available everywhere, never had a problem since. - That was 10 years and over 100,000 km ago. Perhaps something similar could be done with the other ones?

[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
(24-07-2012, 07:07pm)Ward P Wrote: Mines a '99 - so very different, ....but
because the 1st ones were very prone to blockages, I eventually got the shits with it and tore all the screens out, and took out the internal paper filter and threw it away. I then put a small $5.00 inline filter in the line. Change it every couple of services, simple to do, available everywhere, never had a problem since. - That was 10 years and over 100,000 km ago. Perhaps something similar could be done with the other ones?
Mate.. so glad to hear that. I've been looking at mine (99) and it looks like it pretty obvious to do what you have done. Guess you need to be careful with the hoses and not pinch them, but otherwise looks fairly simple?
Are there any problems in doing this?
Rob