gsxr1000k6 tail to busa
i madethe 2x top rails from 25x25 with 25 mil solid round welded into the front of these to rails,then drilled them to take thesame size ht bolts as the busa ,
[Image: 487339_3381653832305_1058536407_n.jpg]
then made 2 lower supports from 1 inch stainless round ,the welded them to the 25x25,,then got some 3 mil flat strap then weldedthat to the top rails ,then sat the original back half of the gixer subframe into it ,mounted up the plastics ,marked it all and drilled and bolted the 2 subframe parts together
[Image: 309443_3381656352368_1815766732_n.jpg]
then trial fit before fully seem welding it all together Yes
[Image: 549054_3381658312417_819404674_n.jpg]
Nice work, Pete!! Clap Pi_thumbsup Clap

Coolsmiley

ps: you do make that all sound very straight forward and easy.....but did this project cause u many headaches (ie: lining all the plastics up, etc.) Undecided
Looks like you know your way around metal.Pi_thumbsup
The only concern I would have is the strength of the welds at the back -SS tube to the mild steel bracket. There will be a massive shear stress on these welds specially if you hit a bump on the road, even if you are on the light weigh side. It would be better to shape that bracket so that the SS tubes are in full compression load only and the welds are only to hold it in place. If I may ask, why didn't you make the whole thing from SS? Mixing metals is not a good thing for highly stresses parts. Good that you re-used the original high tensile bolts though. It looks pretty cool fiished.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
be careful pete posting up this subversive stuff could get you in serious trouble with the pureists on here ,
Hey there Revhead, thats a sweet mod, i've known Tony Nitrous for many years, his fightered busa's ROCK! And now i'm seeing many more of these GSX-R1000 tail conversions.... Your's, UNIT's, and many others, I love how sleek and sporty the rear looks, i doubt for now that i'd change my '11 gen2 because i did fall in love with that arse :) (take it or leave it peeps - LMAO - i know the rear ends is a love hate realationship for us all on gen1's and 2's alike HAHAHA)
Are you coming to Tathra this year?
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having my first "holiday" in nearly 7 yrs........ Can't think of a better getaway than spending a week on the bike and meeting so many other Hayabusa passionate people :)
Hopefully will have my airbrushing done in time for BOTY showdown, if not there's always next yr ;)
Every (k) over is a THRILLER ! Pi_tongue

2012 AHC BOTY Best Gen 2
2013 VVMC Best Japanese
2013 Australian Hayabusa Show & Shine BEST IN SHOW
2013 AHC BOTY Bike Of The Year Trophy
(06-09-2012, 12:39am)bazman Wrote: Nice work, Pete!! Clap Pi_thumbsup Clap

Coolsmiley

ps: you do make that all sound very straight forward and easy.....but did this project cause u many headaches (ie: lining all the plastics up, etc.) Undecided
there wasnt any probs with lining up the plastics as you trial fit every thing ,every step of the way ,so it doesnt look cranky n foooked,cheers

(06-09-2012, 12:49pm)Shifu Wrote: Looks like you know your way around metal.Pi_thumbsup
The only concern I would have is the strength of the welds at the back -SS tube to the mild steel bracket. There will be a massive shear stress on these welds specially if you hit a bump on the road, even if you are on the light weigh side. It would be better to shape that bracket so that the SS tubes are in full compression load only and the welds are only to hold it in place. If I may ask, why didn't you make the whole thing from SS? Mixing metals is not a good thing for highly stresses parts. Good that you re-used the original high tensile bolts though. It looks pretty cool fiished.
i did think about going stainless ,but the weight was weighing on my mind,lol.but what you see here is before i welded gussets to help with stiffness etc ,ive ridden it from macksville to glenn innes going up thru,gurya ,shit house road ,has craters .lol

(07-09-2012, 11:34am)TheAlchemist Wrote: Hey there Revhead, thats a sweet mod, i've known Tony Nitrous for many years, his fightered busa's ROCK! And now i'm seeing many more of these GSX-R1000 tail conversions.... Your's, UNIT's, and many others, I love how sleek and sporty the rear looks, i doubt for now that i'd change my '11 gen2 because i did fall in love with that arse :) (take it or leave it peeps - LMAO - i know the rear ends is a love hate realationship for us all on gen1's and 2's alike HAHAHA)
Are you coming to Tathra this year?
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and having my first "holiday" in nearly 7 yrs........ Can't think of a better getaway than spending a week on the bike and meeting so many other Hayabusa passionate people :)
Hopefully will have my airbrushing done in time for BOTY showdown, if not there's always next yr ;)
i should be there ,cant see a prob

Thanks for the chat the other day Pete (revhead). I went to Silverwater Spares... Pi_thumbsdown

Quote for the rear half of the sub-frame was $400, with plastics went to $700-750, and was told I could pick up a seat for $200!!!

Let me know when you're selling it Tony... Roll