New to Track Days.
Hey guys, went to eastern creek last sunday to see a show and shine, got there and track rides are on, so t'hell with those, bikes are on Pi_tongue
So I wanna do it, only been riding 3 years and had my busa for bout 6 months. Am I outta my league? Looks like a whole lotta fun!
Next thing is gear, not a fan of hiring a dirty suit sum1 has sweated up a mess in the day b4, kinda a hygene thing, so cheap ebay suits, any good? or am i better off with a mid range brand name so to speak? dont really wanna compromise safety for a few bucks either.
Also for the day, i have no smancy gear like tyre warmers etc, what is really a must for the day aside from a basic tool kit and fuel?
I know theres a few on here that go down to these days and thought id hit up the forum for a bitta inside info, many thanks in advance guys, Cheers, Stu.
Good move, Stu.....you'll learn HEAPS about both you and your busa's abilities on the track!! Pi_thumbsup

Make sure that your bike is in all round good condition.....they WILL do a scrutineering check on it, so give it a good look over beforehand, and make sure it ain't leaking any oil or other fluids out of places where it shouldn't, and check that all nut/bolts/fasteners, etc, etc are all secured properly!! Pi_thumbsup

Leather gear price has come down a fair bit in the last few years....so you should be able to get a decent quality one or two-piece suit for a few hundred $$$. Aim for (at very least) double stitching - and if you can afford it - go for TRIPLE stitched big brand named leather!! Try to avoid SINGLE stitched leather at all costs.....coz it WILL tear apart, very similar to denim jeans - in a high impact abrasive crash!!!

Some really sticky tyres will definately make your track day more fun - B'stone BT003's, Conti Race Attacks or anything else thats similar from other big name brands should see you right!! (obviously...having the right pressure in them will make a HUGE difference as well!!)

The most important advice about a track day that I could ever give you is: just make sure that you keep it F-U-N........but try to keep it safe, too! (coz you wanna ride home at the end of the day in ONE piece!!) Pi_thumbsup

WoW....I'm ToTaLLy ExCiTeD for you, coz juz like your very 1st root (unless she barred you up, then deliberately knocked you out, then banged your brains out whilst you're TOTALLY comatose...and then you eventually woke up with jizz and saliva stains and bruising all over the place but had a weird "extremely satisfied, but ya can't really remember a single damn thing about it" type feeling) ...you'll NEVER, EVER forget your 1st track day, either!!! Scary

Let us know when your heading out there....some of us might be keen to come along and have some fun with ya!!! Yes

Coolsmiley

ps: hit pan up for some tips and advice.....I'm guessing he's probably done more track days on a busa than anyone else around here!!

Hi Stu. One thing... Smile under your helmet as you're going around the track and you'll be fine!
I was really nervous about my 1st track day, worried the red mist would come down and I'd throw the bike away.
So I took an easier - but more expensive approach. I did the California superbike school. the School is about $500, a straight track day is about $250.
It was the best thing I could have done. There were heaps of others who had never ridden on the track before, people from all walks of life and all different riding abilities. The instructors keep a close eye on you and will pull you up (personal experience) if they think you are pushing beyond your abilities. There is MORE than enough track time - you will be absolutely wrecked by the end of the day, and it will take at least a month to wipe the smile off your face. Yes

I hired leathers the 1st time, (they change them often and their 2nd hand leathers are for sale.) from memory about $60?? for the day. - they were fine.
It will give you more of an idea on what sort of leathers you will want. ( For the track they must be one piece or zip together. )

[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
hey stu,
ill be looking into doing a track day as well,
i only live down the road from ec,
cant give u any advice but let me know when
ur thinking of booking in, ull need to book in
with the white group first for first timers.
pete
08 gen 2 grey
Thanks heaps for the help guys, i might book a css day for my 1st day, i think that would benefit me heaps. If all plans out i should be looking at end march - start of april, get a service and front tyre dont within the next 2 weeks. Riding to qld mid march, just a personal journey, mate wants to take me up tambo mtn. So when i get back ill need boots, double stiched suit and new gloves and ill be set. Cheers heaps guys! Stu.
Hi Stu and guys,

Mate that is great stuff the guys have mentioned, I have done level 1 while Ward was there on the top circuit( i introduced my self as sniper my old name??) and done level 2 CSS and im going to book level 3 next time they are around. It is amazing the things we do while we are riding but it is more amazing and great when we know exactly when to do these things and that is where the CSS comes in, the best money I have ever spend.
The next track day im doing is next Tuasday 5th of March if anybody is going it would be great to catch up, I wont be on the busa but the Gixxer 1000 black/blue.
When it comes to riding gear my advise is make sure you get good gear second hand or new no difference, we hope we never get to see how good they are but if time comes we want to make sure ther right decision was made on the purchase.

If you guys ever book ride days let me know im only around the corner and it would be good to be there with mates.

Ilias 0400428689

Stu, My first track day was probably the most amazing ride I've ever experienced! I was nerveous as hell but as soon as I was on track....everything changed!

First thoughts....."fark..there's so much room on here"..."wow the grip is sensational"...."this is so much easier than I anticipated!".
I went with full intentions of 'taking it easy' and 'not pushing it'....but after two laps to get a feel for things, I realised I had ALOT of control.
On my second session out I was lapping people and anyone I could see ahead...I was passing them. Was like a fish in water for me that day!

Prior to going I did spend a fair amount of time learning the track (PI)...which I'm glad I did. I'd already learnt each turn, figured a target speed and also had an idea of what gear I'd be using. Pretty much burnt that info into my head and gave me a base to build on instead of riding blind. I believe doing that made a significant difference, took a bit of pressure off and let me focus more on having some fun. Your call if you do that or not...but it sure doesn't hurt to know that info.

Also one piece of advice I wont forget, and it was given to me on my first day at the track.... 'most track day accidents happen in the first and last sessions'
I took the advice and skipped my last session as I knew I was very fatigued....and yes I probably would have crashed having not done that.
Running lap after lap really does take it out of you, so listen to what your body is telling you, drink heaps of water and don't be afraid to sit out on a session.

As for CSS....worth every cent!!! I personaly find them to run at a faster pace on track (that's the point of it all) but even still,
the instructors will not push you beyond what you aren't able to do safely!! Thier observation and guidance is some of the best you'll EVER get!!!!!!

Either one you decide to do first will be an experience you will never forget!!
Hey there Stu, go for it! You will love it!!! My daughters bought me a gift voucher for a Phillip Is ride day, from memory it was around $600 2 yrs ago. That was for the bike hire on the 600cc rockets from the Californian Bike School, the full leather suit which was very clean, gloves, boots, back protector. All I took was my own helmut. I wore the tyre out while riding and they just replaced it and I kept riding! From what I've found out when you tale your own bike you need to drill and wire your sump plug, tape up your mirrors, tyres in very good condition, and replace your coolant in your radiator with just water. I found it good value for money especially with the cheap airfares from Mackay to Melboure. Hope this helps
(20-02-2013, 08:46pm)06BUSA Wrote: your own bike you need to drill and wire your sump plug, tape up your mirrors, tyres in very good condition, and replace your coolant in your radiator with just water

Not true. That's only if you are racing. For track days none of that is required. They tape up your mirrors for you

Pi_thumbsup
For my 2 Bobs worth, get those pressures down on good sticky tyres. Slicks do it but that means the dollars keep climbing. I've had the view that the white and yellow groups can have the occasional Kamikazi in them (blokes who think they are a Motogp rider but clearly are not). Just ride your own race and cover your corners.
Remember the 2 metre rule. I suffered 2 lengthy lectures from officials at PI, a third meant a a ban for passing too close. They were right of course, the Rule is there its for safety and also not scarring the crap out of people. I've stuck with the Red group since and behaved.
If you find Track Daze is for you, leave the roadie in the shed and get a dedicated track bike of your choosing. Start with a cheapie then work up.
Most of all have fun but always think about apexes, braking points and your traction control (wrist)

Cheers

dad1300
'Now where did I leave my slippers' Ghastly
I did one track day and have been hooked ever since!
Used my road bike the first time then bought Pans track bike - best thing I ever did!
Track days are very cheap for the fun you get out of them. It's a great day and you meet and see some interesting guys.
I hired a suit the first time and they are fine. They are pretty clean and tidy because they sell them off frequently and replace them with new ones. Great way to figure out which size fits best. I eventually bought a set off eBay next to new.
All the comments above are spot on.
I haven't progressed very far but am happy that I am improving.
You are not allowed to time yourself but I'm sure the guys will show you a few ways of doing it. It's the only way of identifying whether your getting better, so I would recommend you get something. Cost me $140 and works great.
The only problem I have myself is getting used to not having any mirrors!
Getting carved up is a whole new experience! But I can see now that the guy doing the carving has it well sorted before you even know he's there!
They're great days, but you're pretty rooted by 4 o'clock!
You're going to love it!