Changing valve springs - DONE!!
I've found the shims that faced down had the numbers worn off by the top of the valve. The side in contact with the bucket still showed the numbers. Maybe because the busa is shim under bucket it's the other way?
Regards

Dan
Rainbow 
the numbers point up

cool thanks mate thats what i thought when i was looking at the ones that where in the bike.
Regards

Dan
(22-07-2013, 11:23am)GRUNTMAX Wrote: the numbers point up

no worries, my experience was with my old yammy,
the shim sat in the bucket which sat over the valve,
the cam would then come into contact with the top of the shim,
thanx for clarifying.
pete
08 gen 2 grey
(22-07-2013, 06:44pm)pete Wrote:
(22-07-2013, 11:23am)GRUNTMAX Wrote: the numbers point up

no worries, my experience was with my old yammy,
the shim sat in the bucket which sat over the valve,
the cam would then come into contact with the top of the shim,
thanx for clarifying.

I think I put mine down
^^^^downerLol2
Regards

Dan
Don't suppose it matters it may mark the numbers, maybe they were up fiik
From looking at mine and which way they were oriented the only issue that came from the numbers facing down was the rubbed off and i had to micrometer them. really it just gives me an excuse to buy more tools.
Regards

Dan
The numbers point up on a busa motor
K8 Busa Manual
Engine Mechanical 1D - 52
Ok so im installing the cams now. One question i have that i cant find an answer to in the service manual. From what i gather the cams spin 180degrees for every full rotation of the crank? this means that even if the inspection hole line is lined up on the starter cover mark the cams could be in one of two positions 180 degrees apart? I assume as long as i install the cam gear numbers as per the service manual the cam position sensor will tell the ecu which of the two positions 180 degrees apart the cams are in and accommodate?

I was getting fairly confused until I looked at the APE install instructions for the adjustable cam sprockets and the intake sprocket adapter is installed 180 degree from where its supposed to be and when i was aligning the numbers on the sprockets as per the service manual it was out of whack. Im going to get the intake cam sprocket reinstalled on the correct rotation. and have another go.

Oh and one for the first timers...........align the cam bearing with the clip in the head and recheck and recheck! I learnt the hard way.................
Regards

Dan
Just putting the cams in by the book sets which tdc , because the reference pin is on the cam you can't get it wrong , if you installed it ,it would be right, if you pulled it out rotated the motor and reinstalled it would still be right
just as long as the tdc, 1, 2 and 3 reference marks are correct and the sprockets are installed correctly

sprockets rotate,adaptor is symetrical , just remove the 2 bolts and turn it , and set it in relatively the same position in the slot , i assue your going to dial the cams in later
there are a fine line in the centre of the cam on each cam at the sprocket end , its a handy reference
on the exhaust it points straight at the no 1 or head front top edge or level (same point )
on the inlet its up slightly from level , opposite no 2 but again not quite in line

Got the springs thanks
will test them and pm
Ok cool thanks Greg. I thought i had better check just to make sure. I was originally just going to install as per the service manual as the cam sprockets had been set by previous owner. This will sound rookie as but do i need to have the cams dialed in if I havent changed the sprocket orientation and line it up with the service manual? I was considering once getting it back together and running that id change the exhaust and get Brett to check the cams and adjustable sprockets see if they where at the optimum spot and do a tune but i was planning to do this after getting it going.
Regards

Dan
if you have not disturbed the bolts and the cams line up as per manual then it would be as previously set
Cams are in valve clearances checked and adjusted. it all rotates ok and when rotated it all lines up as it should after a few rotations so hopefully ive done it right and it doesnt go bang when i start it. cam cover on tomorrow morning and finish mounting the second fan which is a bit of a squeeze.

Regards

Dan
ok so first problem attempting to start the bike. so the seemingly good. it turns over ok. the bad is it doest start. it just keeps turning over. its not throwing an error on the dash. any ideas what it could be. Could it be the cam timing is out or would i be bashing valves into pistons if it was out? The only thing i can think is its got a loose connection somewhere? fuel pump sounds like its priming fine and there is fresh fuel in it.

Thanks
Regards

Dan