Under Pressure
Hey guys I do value constructive criticism, but don't go sticking the boot into me please.

Ruffy mate, "my funeral?" Bit morbid I thought. I've been riding the Bus for a year now without drama. Hope you're not wishing that on me lol.

Why is 14 under considered O.K. (27 for the track day) considered alright, but I'm a lunatic for going 18 over?

Anyway, as I'm stepping off the Busa for the time being (a shock / snap decision, but one I have to do under the circumstances) it's all really irrelevant at the moment. However, as the next bike I'm getting won't chew through tyres at the Busa's "rate of knots", note that I'm make sure and keep to the manufacturers recommended PSI, O.K. guys?

Bottom line is, please don't treat me like I'm an idiot or something for my decision, or I may as well just keep my mouth closed in future. I value and respect the input / views / opinions of others and would just like the same in return. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't know nothing you know. I am a bit green when it comes to bikes true, but I have been in them for 10 years (longer than a few of the members here I'll bet), and I'm pretty knowledgeable about a whole host of other things.

Just one other thing - I absolutely love riding the way I do and wouldn't swap it for anything. Because I ride safely doesn't mean I'm not enjoying myself, nor does it mean my mind is always focussed on the worst ot anything. It's just that, as I'm sure everyone knows, you have to take with you a little bit of cynicism with you when start riding, or else you really will end up splattered on the asphalt. It's the old adage - you don't have to worry about yourself, just the other guy, etc.

Hope this makes sense guys.

Thanks,
Paul. <i></i>
Its a rugged forum mate,when someone says something that sounds harsh,they are just bluntly saying look after yourself.When your skin thickens up a little you,ll realise that you can,t put a wise head on young shoulders,but you can learn from others. Glenn the Spa Man<i></i>
I stick around the 40 psi back and front.

I reckon it's a good combo? Most of my time is spent out on the open road. (A couple of psi down is better in the corners)

Top end runs I run 42 + 42 psi.

Nitrogen in the tyres is also good. The difference between hot and cold does not vary as much. (And at over 300 klm/h the air in the tyres turns to steam. I'm told )

Cheers, Phil. <i>Edited by: GDYUP&nbsp; at: 26/12/06 12:28
</i>
yo yo
ho ho ho
42+42psi front/rear
4 street use
60psi ur out of ur mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if ur not cornering u might as well drive a car!!!!!!!!!!!!
2500/3000ks out of me bt56 <i></i>
Hi Guys,

I used to run 42 front and rear in both the original BT056's and the Diablos I had on it. Good pressures for those tyres I found.

Now have HPXs front and rear. Manafacturer's recommended pressures are 36 front and 42 rear. Tried 42 in the front and yuk. Went to 36 and it felt weird. Put 38 in and it felt good.

Spent today with 36 in the front and are getting used to it.

42 in the rear is great but 42 in the front makes the bike feel really strange.

That's where I'm at on this subject.
<i></i>
O.K. guys I've come to my senses and decided to stick with the recommended tyre pressures of 42 psi front and back.
With the new suspension set up I had configured today (all the credit must go to Busdriver and Max for helping me with this - thanks guys !!!) the bike now handles like an absolute dream. I thought it was good before with the airy tyres but now it is fantastic with the excellent suspension / tyre pressure combo.

Paul.
<i></i>
Good to hear bloke. Busdriver is very precise with his suspension and it makes a difference. Did you get any change in performance?

Max Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Grey Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
Some people are alive only because it's illegal to kill them.
<i></i>
Yeah Max the bike feels a lot more spritely now like its got 105 octane or something - it's great. The rattly sound is also not as bad as before, however I will have it looked at A.S.A.P.

Paul. <i></i>
Hmmm, this topic was started 6 years ago... amazing, huh... <i></i>
Quote:Nitrogen in the tyres is also good. The difference between hot and cold does not vary as much. (And at over 300 klm/h the air in the tyres turns to steam.

This has been proven by RACQ to be bullshit. The only advantage gained is that they won't leak as readily. - even that is a marginal difference because air is 80% nitrogen Chopper says "Harden the f*** up Australia"<i></i>
bump
Most enlightening reading..Thanx Wild Wind!

I run my race bike at 30/30, because my preference is toward the more precise feel.

I have been running the Busa at 36/38, just out of feeling that was about right, it wasn't till I noticed the tyre reccomendation sticker that I even knew what recco was!

Anyway..I have gone up to 38/40, and will see how she feels, gawd knows I could do with a few more K's from my tyres, set of Conti Race attacks gave only 2k recently, with average life of Mich PP's around 4.5k.

Still prefer to wear out tyres over oggy knobs.

Will let you know my observations of higher pressures.

As for tyre mileage...it's so irrelevant it should never be mentioned when reccomending a tyre. Some of my fellow Ulyssians boast of getting 45k from a tyre..I dont think I would get that out of a titanium plated one!

mileage only works as a comparison from tyre to tyre on the same bike with the same rider.

Continental Race Attack...2000...shit tyres..hated em

Michelin Pilot Sport...3000....good tyre, excellent feel, too soft..squared off a bit.

Michelin Pilot Power....5000....great tyre...no complaints

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT....4000...incl 1 Track day..best tyres ever..take a little getting used to, but then your hooked!

Bridgestones that came with bike..cant comment, only used em for 1000, before changing em over to old bike, in pref to PPCT2's..but they tracked nice, and seemed to be wearing OK.
An old thread I know, but worth revisiting and having a laugh at some of the posts. Imo the oem reccommended tyre pressures are way too high.
I have tried most brands of tyres and imo am happy to run 32-34 in the front and 36-38 in the rear, whether I am solo, 2up or 3up and fully loaded with baggage. Stuff mileage, grip is far more important. Depending on the riding I am doing reflects the mileage I get. 3,000-5,000klms is probaly a fair average for the rear, Fronts as a rule will last around 1.5 -2 rears. On the run to the GP and back a couple of weeks ago, the run down was wet & inc' the Barry Sheene ride, very little wear on a new BT016, however on the way home in the dry, "spirited" riding over Hotham, Bright, Mt Elliot road etc 3up and heavy baggage, the rear tyre was balling up & working correctly, by the time I got home, we had covered a little over 2,500klms and the tyre was about 2/3rds worn. As I am doing another run down the Snowies this coming weekend with RAT's I fitted a new 016 in a 180 purely to trial, I will report on my findings.
Tyres, to work correctly must first come up to an operating temperature,this will vary with different tyre manufacturers, pressure versus contact patch is also very true, also the tyre if to hard has no give in the sidewalls (Carcass) and will not reach optimum temperature and will want to slide. Not enough pressure, it will have too much give & make the bike squirm and the tyre will run too hot, and increase wear. Suspension also play's a big part in tyre wear but I will save that discussion for later.
Track day junkies, start off at 30 psi F&R, read the tyres after the first session and adjust accordingly, 1-2psi at a time!.
Remember, the above works for me and works for most people, however there will be those who disagree, that is fine. My findings come from around 80,K a year over all types of surfaces & conditions as well as one or two race meets, track days!.

Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
Everybody dies, not Everybody lives !!
There is no substitute for grunt !!
Every boy needs more than one toy !!

Tex, Howd the 180 go on the weekend
oh by the way great to catch up mate will be taking the offer on the bbq.
The Witness
(02-11-2009, 08:06pm)hgazbus Wrote: Tex, Howd the 180 go on the weekend
oh by the way great to catch up mate will be taking the offer on the bbq.

Hi Gaz, yeah mate the 180 went ok, didn't install confidence like a 190 when at max' lean angles and definetly off the edge sooner! I was having a few prob's with the bike over the weekend, fuel Pp (wire mesh filter partially blocked) and the Wilbur's in the back wasn't doing the job, (in need of a service) then Christine crashing out, that stuffed my day, right at the start of the Granya!.
I'll do a direct comparison out at the track (I'll swap wheels) maybe when we get Pans 'Busa track bike up & running,lol better still I'll do the comparo' with Pan on the backLol2 perhaps the worst tyre will get the loudest screamLol2Lol2. (Sorry Pan!!).
Look forward to that Barbie.

Cheers,
Tex & Bundy
Everybody dies, not Everybody lives !!
There is no substitute for grunt !!
Every boy needs more than one toy !!