Fuel filter fun and games
I noticed the bus (gen II) was lagging a little when asked to perform, so I took a hint from an older fuel thread and pulled the fuel pump out to have a look at the filters.

The coarse filter looks like a well used tea bag and didn't respond at all to a compressed air blast clean, so I ordered a new one ($87 - never again!). The secondary filter cartridge is some ridiculous price not even worth mentioning, so it has received 20 odd good flushes with some petrol. (As previous thread mentioned)

I saw some dirty fuel come out and a lot of fine black particles. Maybe I have just flushed out some of the filter material?

I am yet to pick up the gold lined coarse tea bag filter and reassemble the bike, but hopefully a job for this Friday so I don't loose the chance to ride on the weekend.

Does this scenario sound the same as others experience?

Assuming the performance returns, I will be happy for now, but if it is needed again I think a $20 aftermarket in-line filter will be the way I'll go.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Not me..... Aristotle
Just make sure the after market inline filter can handle the volumes (2.4lt/min) and catches the proper particle sizes as the OEM filter... I know that a restriction in volume handling would be the same as a bloacked filter, but not sure what max particle size is allowed in system.....
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Hmmm......I've been meaning to check this problem (and it definately IS a prob.....lacking a LOT of top-end power and also bogs down in low revs) on my '99 >>> I got a feeling mine AIN'T gonna be very pretty either!!
Be carefull with external aftermarket filters
very easy to kink the hose and lots more prone to heat and the resulting vapor lock

good shake and empty of the fuel filter, 20 times is good, but do not use hi pressure compressed air as you can shred the internal paper element , if you can regulate the compressed air down to 30-40 psi and carefull how you apply the pressure it should be ok
Great advice. The aftermarket inline filter will be my next time option. I'll keep the flow rate in mind and aim for a top end unit when the time comes (unless Suzi comes out with a good Gen III beforehand?)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Not me..... Aristotle
(27-03-2013, 09:54am)Champs Wrote: I noticed the bus (gen II) was lagging a little when asked to perform, so I took a hint from an older fuel thread and pulled the fuel pump out to have a look at the filters.

The coarse filter looks like a well used tea bag and didn't respond at all to a compressed air blast clean, so I ordered a new one ($87 - never again!). The secondary filter cartridge is some ridiculous price not even worth mentioning, so it has received 20 odd good flushes with some petrol. (As previous thread mentioned)

I saw some dirty fuel come out and a lot of fine black particles. Maybe I have just flushed out some of the filter material?

I am yet to pick up the gold lined coarse tea bag filter and reassemble the bike, but hopefully a job for this Friday so I don't loose the chance to ride on the weekend.

Assuming the performance returns, I will be happy for now, but if it is needed again I think a $20 aftermarket in-line filter will be the way I'll go.
man o man the filters suzuki supply are f****d and over bloody priced,.get the filter n carefully cut the top off with a hacksaw blade ,pull out filter n bin that then plastic weld the top back on the refit this to tank ,then go to repco n buy efi steel filter for car ,and longer fuel hose ,also purchase 1999 2000 fuel line spring covers on ebay ,fit these to the longer hose no kinking probs ,mines running fine now and a filter replacement is $36 not $429 cheers

Brilliant, Thanks Revhead.
Just reassembled the filter/pump into the tank and put it on the bike. Som fuel trickling out of the outlet before I connected the fuel line.

Normal?

For some reason I thought there might be some resistance to fuel escaping because of the pump in the flow line. Finished the install and she runs fine (yet to road test under load) but can anyone offer some peace of mind on the trickling?
fuel will flow to the lowest point ,meaning it will flow straight through the pump does the same on mine, how did you go ,did you cut n re/weld the fuel filter ,and fit external efi car filter.
Not this time. already had the bits prepped for reassembly. Will do the external filter next time.

Took it for a run....... pickup is back, fuel pump whistle is gone, all up happy with the result. Now to see how long it lasts.
(27-03-2013, 07:37pm)revhead Wrote:
(27-03-2013, 09:54am)Champs Wrote: I noticed the bus (gen II) was lagging a little when asked to perform, so I took a hint from an older fuel thread and pulled the fuel pump out to have a look at the filters.

man o man the filters suzuki supply are f****d and over bloody priced,.get the filter n carefully cut the top off with a hacksaw blade ,pull out filter n bin that then plastic weld the top back on the refit this to tank ,then go to repco n buy efi steel filter for car ,and longer fuel hose ,also purchase 1999 2000 fuel line spring covers on ebay ,fit these to the longer hose no kinking probs ,mines running fine now and a filter replacement is $36 not $429 cheers

Revhead , how did you weld the cap back onto the assembly? Curious as i want to do this to my bike sick of clogged filters.
ok i got my gas powered soldering iron and plastic welded it back together ,but i must say do this outside as the plastic is that bloody toxic ,i got some smoke from the welding in my eyes and had to flush them with eye flush from my 1st aid kit at work,

once youve welded it back together give it a coat of epoxy and let it dry for 2 days ,when i reassembled i put 2x big arse cable ties around the whole thing from top to bottm just incase

ive done around 7k with no probs

if you have any old busted fairing plastic use this to add to the weld if you get stuck give me a call 0401204829 pete

a;so you must run an inline filter ,i used a commodore vr all steel i had to make my own longer fuel lines ,plus i cut a piece of rubber and cable tied it around the fitler as it sits next to the engine breather
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
Did the fuel filter clean on my GSX 1400 a few years ago. The filter bowl in the tank had bits of rusted metal in it, the teabag filter was filthy. removed teabag filter and did the reverse flush by reversing the connections on the filter using acetone through it and so much gunk came out it was scary. After the assembly it went felt like a rocket again. When I did the clean the bike had done 35k. I'm sure the pump had an internal filter as well.
After only using BP Ultimate in my bike I had to use some Shell fuel a while ago. Within seconds I had my second bout of fuel pump whistling. Last time I cleaned out the OEM filter and replaced the tea bag primary filter and swore off doing that again.

Power is also well down again with a very dead midrange response. Can't have that!

This time I'm going to follow the mod as well described here:

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenanc...mod-2.html

and see how it goes. Anyone added an aftermarket filter and can rcommend a unit to use? Something with good flow (2.4 litres/min as per Revhead) and the same particle size filtering as OEM, without being too big?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)