Avon Vipers
I had to replace the Dragon rear and 208 front today. My tyre man - Hal caston who runs TJ Tyres in Canberra, suggested trying the new Avon Vipers, I've thrown them on front and back (in a 180 for the tip-in factor) and will report as soon as I've scrubbed and tried them.

Max Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Blue Buses Rule
Good Bike, Good Woman, Good Road, Good Weather, Good God - Good Bye!
Smith and Wesson - The original point and click interface.
<i></i>
I have heard great suff from my tyre guy about those he reckons the Mexicans cant get them on their bikes quick enuff but he also say very sticky and pretty soft doesnt know what mileage one can expect from them as they are so new would be good to get your view on them and also how much fitted did your guy charge you I think i was quoted $450 a set fitted but not 100% on that Regards Bill

Busa's Rule On The Rest<i></i>
Just on that '180' thing Max,i was watching the bike show on channel 31 tue night and they had Ron "balls" on pushing his pirellis as he always does,but he did come up with some interesting info.Your 190 rear normally has a 50 profile.Pirelli has released a 190 with a 55 profile(higher)which means you can still have your fat 190 but with the higher profile it tips in like a 180.Now you can have the best of both worlds,except its a pirelli. Phuck its the phantom!<i></i>
Hi Bill and Rocket, yes $450 and that was me presenting the bike, late Friday arvo, he did all the work and balanced them as part of the price - Hal does great work and you never feel he's got his hand in your wallet.
I love the sound of a 190 that tips in like the 180, I'll certainly be asking for one of them if the compound works out. She feels excellent, but then after the feeling you get with two @#%$ tyres anything new would feel great!

Cheers

<i></i>
Got the Vipers on mine aswell. Chose the 190 rear over a 200, even though same profile. It's funny you mentioned profile size Rod coz I was going to inform the board that a 200 tips in just as well as a 190 coz the profile is the same. I don't think there is too much difference on tipping in personally, but the 55 profile would definitely give a greater contact patch on the lean, hence more traction and faster cornering with the 180s.

I think the Vipers are the ducks guts. They're definitely a huge improvement from my impoverished Bridgies. Anyone wanting to give them a go will not be disappointed. And for the price, by Zeus they're worth it.

Noticed Gardner bagging Dunlops in the latest Rapid mag. <i></i>
ok you 2 what can you tell me about them what sort of wear are you getting from them how do they compare to the pilots are they any good in the wet what about corners do they tip in nicely

reason I am asking is that I am due for new rubber soon and was really considering these Regards Bill

"Secret Mod Group Is Kicking Butt"

Busa's Rule On The Rest<i>Edited by: Xhiler8r&nbsp; at: 24/10/05 8:48 pm
</i>
Sorry for the late Bill, just saw your question. I have ridden in the rain a lot lately, no squrreling arounds, or sliding, mind you I HATE riding in the rian, especially in traffic, Canberra drivers are the fucken worst in the world in the wet.
Just checked the wear indicators - I have 3k on both with about 2mm until I get to the wear indicators both front and back, probably about a thousand kays (fingers crossed). I haven't been fanging it too much due to shitty weather but do have favoured go fast corners on the way to and from work. Considering the tremendous traction I'm getting and the confidence that the traction inspires I'll be wearing another set for Jindabyne!

<i></i>
Thanks for the reply max gonna get a set fitted today guess I better go out and scrub them in also rang my tyre guy and $450 fitted the reports he has had the riders reckon 8000ks of good solid riding that will do me fine Regards Bill

"Secret Mod Group Is Kicking Butt"

Busa's Rule On The Rest<i></i>
I changed the Viper last Monday - was well and truly fuked. had 5,400kays, I've been putting power on in the corners and trying not to hammer it on the straights. as a consequence the wear markers were coming through on the bottom of the tread as the sides were also getting thin. Fantastic tyre, so confidence building.

NOTE: I moved to a 180 from the standard 190, the bike now changes direction a LOT easier than with the 190. Add rubber that just holds and holds, but you can feel when it starts to slide, and you have a tyre that is predictable.

Max: Madmax - GSX1300R Black and Blue Buses Rule
<i></i>
I have just put on these so called Avon Vipers (voted one of the best tyre recently in a English mag), well let me tell you guys something they SHIT
THats right they Shit on pilots, dont even come close!!!! I couldnt believe how much force I was putting on these suckers and nothing no slip at all. amazing
<i></i>
I hope they stay that sticky for the full life of the tread.
A lot of tyres are sticky as shit until they start to get down to the casing.
<i></i>
some reports on the Vipers read and then go out and buy a set

UK Press Honours Avon’s Vipers

In recent months the motorbike consumer press has heaped praise on Avon’s Viper Sport and Supersport tyres. Journalists from MCN, Superbike, Bike and TWO all attended the European launch of the Viper at the Catalunya GP circuit near Barcelona, Spain in February. The tyres were tested on a variety of bikes, which together clocked up around 3,000 miles on one of the world’s fastest and demanding circuits.

Adam Child from MCN published his report under the headline - “Unslideable Avons.” He went on to say: “The standard tyres are more than enough for the track and the Supersport compound is almost faultless. They just refuse to slide – on any bike.”

Superbike’s tyre expert Jonathan Pearson admitted to being a little sceptical before the launch but after his first outing he reported ‘astonishing grip levels’ that allowed him to attack corners with surprising confidence. He went on to write: “On bikes like the CBR600RR, on this track, on this day, these tyres seemed un-crashable.”

Paul Swift of Bike magazine, tested the tyres on a variety of bikes including supersports 600s and 1000s, a Suzuki Bandit1200 and Honda VFR800. “The tyre worked really well at high speed,” he remarked.

TWO sent TV presenter and road tester Warren Pole to Catalunya and he was determined to give the Vipers a thorough test. “I grabbed a Suzuki Bandit 1200 shod with the Sport tyres just to get back into the groove. And it was impressive. The Bandit protested, the frame flexed, most things decked out at some point or another and the brakes faded. The tyres however, remained unfazed. For a performance road tyre, it’s hard to imagine anyone needing more.”

Avon’s Viper range is available now and aims to build upon the success of previous Avon ranges. The Viper Sport comprises 11 sports bike sizes, including a new 120/65R17 front tyre for bikes such as the Kawasaki ZX636/ZX-6R. A 200/50R17 rear is also available for the ZX 12R.

Fronts: 110/70R17 54W, 120/60R17 55W, 120/70R17 58W, 120/65R17 56W and 130/70R16 61W.

Rears: 150/60R17 66W, 160/60R17 69W, 170/60R17 72W, 180/55R17 73W, 190/50R17 73W, and 200/50R17 75W.

Viper Supersport is available in the following popular hypersport sizes:

Fronts: 120/60R17 55W & 120/70R17 58W
Rears: 160/60R17 69W, 180/55R17 73W & 190/50R17 73W

Cheers Bill

The Blingaholic

<i></i>
U guys using the "Sport" or the "Supersport" ? The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob (Astro)<i></i>
I am using the Sport and they are terrific mate will never go to another tyre again unless its the SuperSport Cheers Bill

The Blingaholic

<i></i>
Sounds great... and $450 is a bloody good price for tyres that grippy... especially if they last a reasonable distance. Anybody have a good Sydney contact for these tyres ? The older I get, the better I was. Regards.... Rob (Astro)<i>Edited by: AstroBusa at: 23/2/06 8:39 pm
</i>