Tank Slappers
thanks for not laughing although im not sure what to make of kawas comment his youngest travels faster than me dam lol.the damper can wait for the next bike if i eventually stop having fun carving on the 250 the shakes just make more fun :}
Tank Slapper.
Trophy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1srcQMa_0
I actually taught "Cough Cough" this guy how to handle a tank slap situation and he followed my instructions to the letter---- good student!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyxz6kqql...re=related
Had a couple on me ole GS1100G, found applying the rear brake helped slightly, but think mainly it sorted itself out. Waiting for another to try it again..........!!!
Want to do another?
Do a wheelie over a hill an land her crossed up.
That should do it lol
Hey Guys,

I'm just new round ere' , Shane (09' blk busa qld) recruited me from hayabusa.org.
So G'day ... was just reading your posts & thought I'd throw in my 2c.
My thoughts are .... depends what the variables are
Re: in the middle of a corner, on the straight, on a sweeper, exiting the corner.

The way I see it is the "slapper" is a result of an arguement between the front and the rear tyres, such as you've upset the gyroscopic precession regarding the path of travel. That being the case,if you are exiting the corner under power for instance and she starts shaking her head and providing you have enough power on tap (hey we all ride hayabusa's here), I find if you feed her more gas and lift the front wheel, it stops the arguement between the tyres, if one tyre is in the air they cant argue, hence stopping the head shake
~ Joe
This advice was given to me by a superbike racer (who holds his own pretty damn well without mentioning names).

When you get into a tank slapper, release your left hand off the bar & pin the throttle, works everytime. Never had to try it on the busa, has worked brilliantly on a 600. It's a very un-nerving thing to do but it works.
My 2 cents worth, which basically agrees with some of the other replies here.

Tankslappers are generally a result of some inherent handling issue with the bike. ie frame geometry, tyre wear, suspension setup etc. This is why tankslappers were far more common on much older designed bikes. eg those big bore bikes in the 80's which started to produce more power than their frame designs, geometry and suspension were capable of managing. Hence some people referring to 34 years ago.

Engineering & design on today's bikes have improved handling significantly. In my opinion, it would be extremely rare to experience a tankslapper on something with the wheelbase (long wheelbase equates to stability), weight & fitted steering dampner of a Busa, unless there is something else wrong. eg tyre wear, suspension setup.

Powering out works because it unloads the front wheel as the acceleration forces transfer weight onto the back wheel. By throttling off, weight is further transferred onto the front wheel, which is the cause of the tankslapper in the first place & will only make a bad situation worse.

There may be situations where road conditions matched with certain mechanical conditions (ie speed, acceleration, decceleration, weight distribution etc) can cause a modern bike to experience a tankslapper, but these would be rare. If it occurred, I would be looking at some of the inherent issues I mentioned initially.

Some modern bikes eg. certain models ZX10 are more prone due to the power, wheelbase, rake/trail, swingarm length but the Busa wouldn't obviously be in this category.
Huls,the busa tank slaps like a bitch when you do wheelies,not always,but it does.
I dont have an aftermarket damper,but i will be looking into it.
(17-08-2009, 12:59am)NEMESIS Wrote: Huls,the busa tank slaps like a bitch when you do wheelies,not always,but it does.
I haven't had the current Busa long enough to experiment with wheelies, but I'll take your word for it.

My guess is that a tankslapper when landing from a wheelie is directly proportional to the force with which the front wheel hits the deck. I would assume nice progressive landings shouldn't initiate a tank slapper. I must admit I'm not good enough to put this to the test though.
(17-08-2009, 03:23am)Huls Wrote:
(17-08-2009, 12:59am)NEMESIS Wrote: Huls,the busa tank slaps like a bitch when you do wheelies,not always,but it does.
I haven't had the current Busa long enough to experiment with wheelies, but I'll take your word for it.

My guess is that a tankslapper when landing from a wheelie is directly proportional to the force with which the front wheel hits the deck. I would assume nice progressive landings shouldn't initiate a tank slapper. I must admit I'm not good enough to put this to the test though.

Dont worry mate, i was exactly good enough either Lol3
Not the easiest bike to wheelie me thinks!

Same! I have had it happen 2 times to me when I pulled the Busa up on the back wheel in a power stand with out meaning to and both times she went into a tank slap but corrected herself in no time. It does make you think twice about doing a controlled mono thoughUndecided.
I had it happen on a 98 gsxr600 and wouldn't like to have it happen again, I was doing apprx 160 and must have hit a rut in the road (I mean controlled race track), it pulled my arms full lock maybe 3-4 times, I thought at the time I was off for sure then it just corrected itself. Felt like ages but was probably only fractions of a second, the front tyre even had scuff marks after I pulled over to compose myself, I ordered a steering damper the next day and have not had another since (on any bike)
gen2,s are prone to tank slap when strapped in the front for the drags.less trail than a gen1 makes it lighter steering for the road but more in need of a steering dampener for drag racing.