Hanging off
One advantage on the road of hanging off (or at least positioning the body to hang off) is that it provides a safety margin. When entering an unknown bend and finding a tightening radius, by hanging off you have allowed yourself the ability to lean the bike as well and safely negotiate the bend. If you enter on something approaching full lean, any additional lean is going to run the risk of dragging bits or running out of tyre edge.

More importantly than hanging off though is that people must learn to plan their bend entry, which includes road position and looking ahead and through the bend. Jumbled up cornering, untidy braking and focussing on a tree or bus stop on the outside edge of the bend is a recipe for disaster.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
[quote='Belzybob' pid='243808' dateline='1306217646']
One advantage on the road of hanging off (or at least positioning the body to hang off) is that it provides a safety margin. When entering an unknown bend and finding a tightening radius, by hanging off you have allowed yourself the ability to lean the bike as well and safely negotiate the bend. If you enter on something approaching full lean, any additional lean is going to run the risk of dragging bits or running out of tyre edge.

I agree mate here ,I aint a great rider by any means but I find it's alot easier to adjust my run if I'm hanging off.

Hi,

I wanted to ask this question!!

When you enter a corner and have to put your knee down and a cop goes past the other way. Can he come back to book you for riding in a dangerous maner??
Thanks John
(27-07-2011, 11:31am)piperjon Wrote: Hi,

When you enter a corner and have to put your knee down and a cop goes past the other way. Can he come back to book you for riding in a dangerous maner??

Hmmmm!?

Interesting question. Will look into it...

(27-07-2011, 11:31am)piperjon Wrote: Hi,

Yes.

If a cop thinks you were riding dangerously there is nothing stopping them from nabbing you and giving you a fine. Right or wrong, It's their job to give you the fine anyway.

The difference is, if you object and take it to Court would a Magistrate given the Police evidence rule that you were riding dangerously......probably not.

However, what public road in Australia do you have to get your knee down to make the turn while doing the posted speed limit?
I'm still looking for that road.
I took this video last sunday on the bottom part of the oxley on brand new tyres and is by no means fast with no brakes used more a test run for the race bike in mounting positions but goes to show you that you dont have to be silly in your riding to get your knee down and once perfected comes easy and you wonder what all the fuss was about and these days I don't make a habit of it out on public roads but I still carry the style of getting off the bike and use my vision which I believe is 80% of riding smoothly read (twist of the wrist) and or CSSPi_thumbsup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clz7ppeDW...re=related
" SO MANY TURKEYS IN THE WORLD ARE YOU ONE "
Wow great work
(31-07-2011, 07:48pm)bandit Wrote: Wow great work

There's a big difference between 'hanging off', probably better put as 'weight transfer' and getting the knee down. The latter is best kept for slow roundabouts and race tracks.
Government certified carpet muncherDrool
(31-07-2011, 07:08pm)Driller Wrote: I took this video last sunday on the bottom part of the oxley on brand new tyres and is by no means fast with no brakes used more a test run for the race bike in mounting positions but goes to show you that you dont have to be silly in your riding to get your knee down and once perfected comes easy and you wonder what all the fuss was about and these days I don't make a habit of it out on public roads but I still carry the style of getting off the bike and use my vision which I believe is 80% of riding smoothly read (twist of the wrist) and or CSSPi_thumbsup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clz7ppeDW...re=related

Clap Great stuff. Looked and sounded like you did it with ease. The camera is pretty impressive for its smoothness too.
[Image: dbusasml.jpg]
I don't want a pickle . . .
Nice footage, Driller Pi_thumbsup

tried to stay focussed on the issue....but damn, that mirror image of the road & sky on your fairing kept suckin' me in....very nice effect!!! Very Happy

Coolsmiley
(29-12-2006, 05:02pm)spamanglenn Wrote: I too suffer from the kevlar in the draggin jeans.I now where bike pants style undies and thin shorts under the jeans to stop the irritation.It feels like prickly pear under your thighs and almost made me throw them out because of it. <i></i>

The prickly pear effect is from the kevlar being put through a dryer or being exposed to direct sunlight, makes it feel like sandpaper in the nether-regions. Not sure exactly why it happens but I ruined a brand new pair by putting them in a dryer. Best way to dry them is on a line which is not in direct sunlight and with the button and zipper up to prevent them from being exposed to the sun. Never dry them inside out.
"and when I gun the engine I want people to think that the world is coming to an end"
Scary
I would have no kneecaps left if i rode like that