When similar [but vastly different] worlds collide...
Bell 
Heya guys and guy-ettes....

Check out the following video....some of you may have seen this on the news last night!!

The road where this collision occurred appears to be Mulholland Drive, near Encino in L.A.

For those that are not aware, this is an extremely popular biking road....so much so that action video and still camera's are operating at this spot practically every single day, waiting to catch that magical moment!!

There have been many m/bike crashes at this particular spot, but most are usually single vehicle accidents, and usually they are either front end loss of traction [low-side] or rear end loss of traction [high-side] crashes, at or very near the midway point thru this particular corner!!

In my humble opinion....It is blatantly obvious how and why this crash occurred....and I think it was TOTALLY AVOIDABLE!!!

So please have a really good look at the video (not from a m/bike riders view, try to be subjectively unbiased and look at it from a totally neutral view-point).....and tell us why you think this crash occurred!?!

http://www.dpccars.com/motorcycle-13/04-...yclist.htm

I'm extremely curious to hear some differing view-points....

keep it fun (...and SAFE) out there...
Coolsmiley
i do watch a lot of youtube videos ,and that mulholland drive is a bad road , especially that one bend,i will get over there one day and check out that bend ,on foot or in a car to see if its the road surface or is it just the american rider,the guy that came off in this instance ,just didnt look comfortable on his bike,plus appears to have hit the apex a little to quick
My guess would be target fixation, guy on the bike looks straight at them, thus rides right into them..

Was in Wrong gear, shouldve droped a gear Before or as he came around corner
& took his foot of the pegs,
& No enough lean into & out off corner,
& He or she panic
Backed off the throttle , which made the bike stand up

Plus we didn't see the pushbike riders till the last second maby they
Were riding side by side ??

Ooo arrrrh that hurt

Bad timing, I reckon.
Should have waited a bit longer and got 10 of the wankers.
I agree with Zoro.....looks like he sighted the pushy riders coming around the bend and you know you end up where you look.

Either that, or he saw the long dark haired chick on the side of the road......the one with the plumbers crack (nicest one I've seen for a while)

Or, if the rider was Bazman, his view would've been obscured by the front wheel of his motorbike, and wouldn't have seen the pushy riders! hahahahaha!!!!
I was thinking of 2 answers, but CeeJay already had both.

Maybe he is gay and just wanted to sniff the cyclists arse .. Scary
Considering the road conditions - dry and clear with good visibility ahead as there is no obstructions there, and the circumstances - not going too fast (in fact rather slow), already past the apex and the pushbike riders are in single file on the edge of the road the only possible explanations are:

1. Ducati(?)
2. Target fixation
3. Posing for the camera as in wanting to be on the u-tube
4. Moron that should only be allowed to ride a skateboard.
"It is not a shame to not know, the shame is to not know and not to ask"
watched it a few times, the guy applies the rear brake twice, slight shifts in the bike becoming more upright each time, only he cant seem to steer out, perhaps handlebar mods too close to the tank, or the road incline steering the wheel, not expecting them, watching wrong, etc. lots of visible faults.

with a dirt verge though, in the midday cali sun, two "elite" cyclists should be trying that incline in their lowest gear to pedal up, no spotters, a car would have cleaned them up too with their road positions...

its an odd one. and I bet all of em know/knew the notoriety of that particular corner....

Thompy.
Hot Coffee , Fast :Biker:

Diesel.
As others have said, Target Fixation.
Wasn't excessively fast or way out of shape, so there shouldn't have been a problem.
BUT.
Saw a problem. Focused on the problem instead of the solution. Stopped riding the bike and became a passenger.

Now, I also raced bicycles for a lot of years and logged more miles on the road that I can remember. But, I would never have gone training on the bicycle on roads that were the favourite twisties for everyone on the moto. The speed differential between the two vehicles makes it way too dangerous. And bicycles can at times be very hard to see.
They are two activities best kept separate.
IMO, Not paying attention is why the crash occurred.

Coming around that corner his attention was focused on all the people filming, watching etc....prob a nice piece of tail or two all on the other side of the road to perv on.

He had no idea the cyclists were there at all. By the time he actually did notice them, he'd already run wide, then got target fixation and heading straight for them, instant hesitation with no clue what to do, instant thought 'oh f*** I'm going to hit them', mind goes completely blank still just staring at them, oh f***, too late brake hard ....crash!.
was just thinking about not how it happened, but how he could have avoided that but made no attempt.
I'de go for eye fixation too. A lot of crashes on this road and lots of compilations of them on Youtube. On one bend you can see bikes almost going down exact same spot every time. Weird. And yet the riders just can't seem to resist coming back. :-)

And a Google maps view
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=&layer=c&...0,0,0&z=16
that compilation shows too the difference in road composition, they come almost each time leant over (small contact patch) and over the tarmac patch, add to that the rubber debris and skid buidup just after it...no wonder it looks like riding on glass..it probably almost is.

Thompy.
Hot Coffee , Fast :Biker:

Diesel.
Yeah, from what I can see in the video....I'm thinkin' it was a classic case of the rider being totally distracted by the tits, arse and camera's less than 3 metres away from him on the other side of the road, just as he should be fully focussed on his corner approach & entry. Then when he finally sees the obstacle further in front of him, he makes a "panic reaction" braking application [which makes the bike stand up in the corner] and he gets target fixation....and ends up steering directly at [and into] them!!
You kinda notice just before impact that his [last second] emergency braking application was a totally piss-poor attempt to save his, and the pushy riders health and well-being!!
I'm kinda glad we don't have a road like that over here......with video & stills cams constantly enticing, seducing, encouraging and ultimately preying on bike riders to "get it all wrong" for the ultimate "crash & burn" money shot!!! Wtf

I know I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again and again in the future (despite the fact that some here might want me to just shut the f*** up about it) BUT hey guys.....next time you're about to go for a ride, it only takes a couple of minutes to go up and down the street (always allowing for having NO traffic anywhere behind you, and also being aware of the cold tyre factor, too) and practice an emergency braking application or two! The more you practice, the better and more controlled your reactions will be if and when you find yourself in that awful "OH SHIT" real-life moment...when you'll need every bit of skill and daring that you can possibly muster!!! Yes

keep it safe (...and of course F-U-N)!!!
Coolsmiley
(30-04-2013, 11:36pm)DjPete Wrote: I'de go for eye fixation too. A lot of crashes on this road and lots of compilations of them on Youtube. On one bend you can see bikes almost going down exact same spot every time. Weird. And yet the riders just can't seem to resist coming back. :-)

This is actually a really good clip to explain the anatomy of a high-side. Notice how even with just a minor step out and grab of traction from the rear at relatively slow speeds, it's still enough force to fling almost every single one of those riders up out of thier seat. Very few are able to maintain thier body position.