Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system
Why?

Because it is a work of art. It is made of the finest materials, adheres to proven theory, barely affects performance, is quiet and meets the strictest emissions tests. The only compromise is weight....

I recently cut up a set for a separate project, thought I might share my findings. I could help but think that some engineer in the might Suzuki works got an internal award for his efforts. Or maybe a cup of saki in a plastic cup.

Firstly, the headers. They contain a carapace within which is another stainless steel shell holding two catalytic converters. Some high tech insulation is sandwiched between the two shells.

[Image: CatalyticConverters001copy_zps6de14add.jpg]

The above image shows the position of the stock narrow-band oxygen sensor, the wide band was fitted by myself for logging purposes.

Here's a close-up of the cat. Unlike the ceramic matrices you find in cars, this one is metal. And heavy!

[Image: CatalyticConverters003_zps558b2a16.jpg]

Here is a close-up looking into the incoming headers. The second stage pipe diameter follows traditional exhaust ratios, in this case 1:1.5 of the headers, i.e. the cross sectional surface area of the stage two pipe is 1.5 times that of the two headers that feed into it.

[Image: CatalyticConverters006_zps412c4012.jpg]

Not the smoothest transition, but far better than aftermarket pipes I've seen.

Now for the mufflers....

[Image: Tackwelded001_zpsdf01997c.jpg]

First, a cutting disc on the Dremel to remove the tack welds on the retaining screws.

[Image: TackWelded002_zps6e0e8295.jpg]

TBC...
Just look down the other end to get an idea of whats inside.....looks like one of those lines you have to wait in at the bank lol!
Smoke me a kipper I'll be home in time for breakfast
That's interesting stuff, mate. Does the coating on the baffles wear off after a while, or does it just get covered up with deposits? Does the coated stuff have any scrap value - it's platinum, isn't it? Is it poisonous in any way if you touch it, or inhale any dust? Waiting for your next installment! Rob
Platinum? apparently, I would like to confirm but its outside the scope of my objective, maybe someone could provide some detail. I just know they burn at extremely high temperatures and the proximity of my wide-band sensor to the hot cats may have been screwing with my readings!

Anyway, Cap off..
[Image: Capoff_zps5f5c68cb.jpg]

Now for the inlet side. Three nuts and its off, note the size of the interior pipe as opposed to the outer pipe.
[Image: Exhaustinlet_zps06619f1d.jpg]

Peek-a-boo! Looks like the standard muffler works on the 'open chamber' theory, i.e. the space is sufficient to replicate open atmosphere.
[Image: Exhaustinlet002_zps9f91953f.jpg]

Let's have a closer look at this pipe.
[Image: Exhaustinlet004a_zps9e68c290.jpg]

Cutting it open reveals...
[Image: Exhaustinlet004_zps4bee30e0.jpg]

TBC...
Can't wait to see the cross section of the muffler....
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!
Good work mate, always what was inside the stock system.
I like your coriosity -

Can you do the same to a

Gen1 parr valve polution system
&
Garret turbo charger system
&
Roost type supercharger
&
Intercooler , air & water or both
Cheers thank, love ya work
Use the other can as a storage stash tube, lockable
Water tight, Carry space, what volume is usable inside one
NOS bottle! Yee-ha!
If it's too loud....You're too old!
If it's too fast....You're too old!
If it's too sexy....You're ???
This is definitely the best "Exhaust thread" EVER! (so far)
And the award goes to TempOzzy!

Problem is, the space within the spare muffler is way larger than my wee NOS bottle. Whatever shall I do?
Camel, you have inspired me to do a similar threat for the gen1 cans... but with the final objective to keep both cans (twin system) cut cut down by 20cm or so. Hopefully keeping all the original stamping clearly visable to fool the blueys. will also be polishing the machine lines out of them
BATFINK (aka Tony)

Nutkickyt1

GOD gave us a mind to use.........

Suzuki gives us a reason to loose it!!!!