Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system
Cheers for the advice from the guys above.

Yes, as predicted by Camel, I was thinking of essentially making my mufflers purely cosmetic. I figured guys are running shorty's/megaphones on the street that would effectively provide no muffling. I also considered that the noise would probably not be too bad at idle, and at WOT the noise would be being projected behind me so may not be very loud to my ears. So yes, it is likely that those who hear my bike will know/suspect that exhaust is not normal, but those that just look at it will think it's stock.

I did think it might be worth using perforated tube, and filling the cans with high temp insulation that is used on gas turbines at my work. This should allow me to ditch most of the metal from in the cans (and its weight), but still provide some muffling. After the response here today to my suggestion, I'm thinking a non-muffled Busa is probably going to be too loud for anyone to tolerate on the street (including myself).

I'm intrigued by the double layer mid-pipes. They certainly keep the diameter quite narrow before the muffler. If these were to be modified to remove the inner pipe would the surface temperature get too high? Or would there be other problems I cannot foresee? I'm thinking that straight through mufflers will allow higher velocity, so the heating of the mid pipes will be reduced, and opening them up to the outer skin should allow for better flow. Will be looking forward to hearing if Camel's right boot starts to melt...
If it's too loud....You're too old!
If it's too fast....You're too old!
If it's too sexy....You're ???

Messages In This Thread
Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by Camel - 20-05-2013, 09:18am
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by CaptainRob - 20-05-2013, 11:14am
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by RYDRZ - 20-05-2013, 09:32pm
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by RYDRZ - 20-05-2013, 09:41pm
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by CaptainRob - 21-05-2013, 09:44am
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by CaptainRob - 21-05-2013, 12:07pm
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by CaptainRob - 22-05-2013, 02:39pm
RE: Anatomy of a Hayabusa exhaust system - by TempOzzy - 22-05-2013, 10:28pm