Noisy chain
(23-02-2013, 12:24pm)Shifu Wrote:
(22-02-2013, 01:11pm)BikerBoy Wrote: Don't any of you guys use a pickle?

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/chain-pickle/

Apparently not. Wardy even clearly states that he does not want one Lol2 Roll
Lol3

You'd be suprised how many were actualy sucked in by that article when it was first published.!!!!

It took ages before some realised the print date (april fools day) and read the Conclusion comments following the article "Chain Pickle users may also be interested in installing a set of Spiffy Spokes on their rides..."
Finally got around to replacing my front aftermarket $24 sprocket with no rubber cussion on it and put an OEM Suzuki $145 one on. Went for a ride today and was as quiet as it was originally. Yeah!!! Will remember that for next time. Pi_thumbsup
I have a pro-oiler computerised oiler on bus not as much mess as lubes and you only have to check container about every 6000ks my chain has done over 60,000ks and it and back sprocket still no discernible wear (never looked at front sprocket)
My last gsxr 1000 did 30k km before it died.adjusted chain once in 30k kms. Cleaned chain with kerosene.
Busa has 15k km no chain adjustment. Lubed 3 times and cleaned with kero twice.
On my off road bike no lube.maybe clean with kero sometimes.
I try to lube around 1000 km on a trip as its easier than cleaning with kerosene but does not happen.
Guess if chain/ sprockets are clean it reduces frictional wear.
Modern chains apparently have sealed in lube like bearings so not much is going in.
I guess whatever floats u r boat.
Don't tempt fate,TAUNT IT!

I used to use degreaser spray on my first chain to clean it which led to a shorter life of the chain. Have only used Kero when cleaning on new chain, now on 55k and plenty life left on it. well i plan to change it on the 100k which is another 15 to go. by my current riding habits that may be 5 yrs off.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
(02-06-2013, 01:01am)Volvi Wrote: I used to use degreaser spray on my first chain to clean it which led to a shorter life of the chain. Have only used Kero when cleaning on new chain, now on 55k and plenty life left on it. well i plan to change it on the 100k which is another 15 to go. by my current riding habits that may be 5 yrs off.
Just my thoughts Volvi, but change it all out before your Tassie blast. Trips go by fast enough without wasting time working on bikes. Have fun, Paul.

I spray a small amount of WD40 onto a rag
and use it to clean the side plates, more to keep
it Looking pretty than anything. I use a very small
amount of chain lube about once a week.

Mine looks OK, lasts well, and I do check it and
the tyre pressures about once a week.

I'm sure others will disagree but it works for me.
my chain on my old 1100w never got a clean ,i put it on at 19k, with sprockets, i oiled it once a fortnight ,and only adjusted when required, In 5 years ,when i sold it, the chain and sprockets were still it top knick,

my bus ,has had 1 chain adjustment in 12 months and the chain and sprokets show no sign of wear ,thing is i have no idea of who fitted the chain and sprockets ,imo i think the secret to not flogging out your chain and sprockets is to keep an eye on them ,to tight bends teeth ,to lose,and the chain stretches ,one thing you must keep in mind is when adjusting remember when you sit on the bike itl put weight onto the rear of the bike and take up the slack ,and cause the chain to be a little to tight ,"does that make sence'

I dont clean my chains ,but was told to use diesel ,to soak the chain into ,as using a degreaser eats at the o,or x rings causing them to go brittle and fall apart ,there for the oil holding capacity of the chain drops off and links dry out etc
[Image: 11870925_10204352750091032_3366674167629...8f99a0b2f1]
One point no one seems to have made on this thread is that an o-ring chain may well have the lube sealed in but it is only sealed in the pins, the actual rollers that run on your sprockets can be totally dry between the inner diameter of the roller and the outer diameter of the link, I have seen many where the rollers are hanging like curtain rings and sound like a tank going through a dessert, Lube is a must - besides - who likes a corroded back wheel!
Norvin.
(06-03-2014, 12:19pm)Norvin Wrote: One point no one seems to have made on this thread is that an o-ring chain may well have the lube sealed in but it is only sealed in the pins, the actual rollers that run on your sprockets can be totally dry between the inner diameter of the roller and the outer diameter of the link, I have seen many where the rollers are hanging like curtain rings and sound like a tank going through a dessert, Lube is a must - besides - who likes a corroded back wheel!
Norvin.
Post 13.
(01-06-2013, 03:35pm)alpal Wrote: I have a pro-oiler computerised oiler on bus not as much mess as lubes and you only have to check container about every 6000ks my chain has done over 60,000ks and it and back sprocket still no discernible wear (never looked at front sprocket)

The front sprocket is where you may get the surpise. My rear and chain looked good at 60k but front was ready to fail.
(02-06-2013, 08:10am)cyndemgum Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 01:01am)Volvi Wrote: I used to use degreaser spray on my first chain to clean it which led to a shorter life of the chain. Have only used Kero when cleaning on new chain, now on 55k and plenty life left on it. well i plan to change it on the 100k which is another 15 to go. by my current riding habits that may be 5 yrs off.
Just my thoughts Volvi, but change it all out before your Tassie blast. Trips go by fast enough without wasting time working on bikes. Have fun, Paul.

I should have heeded your advice. Unfortunately it was many months before the tassy ride and just forgot all about it. I lubed the chain plenty before I left but clearly after about 1200k's the chain was pretty rooted and made plenty noise on my way back to the boat. wouldnt have hurt had I have had a small spray can of lube...reckon its taught me is a must for interstaters doing tassy.

Anyway after about 57k time to change the chain and sprocks. Im going for long life chain DID ZVMX (my previous was VM now called VX). Personally I only stick with DID. I currently have a supersprox stealth 42t and JT 17 front. Going back to oem specs with JT 40 and 17.

I have never really been happy with any chain lube spray on the market, have tried a few but dont feel any of them really lube as say a system like Scottoiler which is a constant lube. I am thinking about going for the oilers on my new chain but theyre pretty expensive. Scottoiler V system about $200 eSystem $400. Acumen about $200+ and not sure about the one mentioned previously in this thread. But anyone got any advise on Lube systems, happy to hear of them.
[Image: SigPic100.jpg] Copper/Silver - The original, the rest are just copies.
I went through a whole small can of Belray Super clean chain lube on my 6500km round trip from Qld to Tassie. Stoped in Bathurst Sat morning on the way home as I had finished the finished the first can and bought another can of lube for the rest of the trip home. I just lube the chain once a day whether I do 200km or 900km.
(07-03-2014, 08:45pm)Volvi Wrote:
(02-06-2013, 08:10am)cyndemgum Wrote:

I should have heeded your advice. Unfortunately it was many months before the tassy ride and just forgot all about it. I lubed the chain plenty before I left but clearly after about 1200k's the chain was pretty rooted and made plenty noise on my way back to the boat. wouldnt have hurt had I have had a small spray can of lube...reckon its taught me is a must for interstaters doing tassy.

Anyway after about 57k time to change the chain and sprocks. Im going for long life chain DID ZVMX (my previous was VM now called VX). Personally I only stick with DID. I currently have a supersprox stealth 42t and JT 17 front. Going back to oem specs with JT 40 and 17.

I have never really been happy with any chain lube spray on the market, have tried a few but dont feel any of them really lube as say a system like Scottoiler which is a constant lube. I am thinking about going for the oilers on my new chain but theyre pretty expensive. Scottoiler V system about $200 eSystem $400. Acumen about $200+ and not sure about the one mentioned previously in this thread. But anyone got any advise on Lube systems, happy to hear of them.
All good mate, it got you home. That is all that matters. For what it is worth Motorex road is the lube I choose. On touring trips I take a can and give it a blast at the end of each day. All the best, Paul.